The Lovely Bones Movie

InnocentFairy

Reaction score
Now...I don't know how many of you has read 'The Lovely Bones' - but I thought it was an absolutely beautiful and wonderful book. And those who are fans of this book will be pleased to know that the movie is in production!!!

The movie is being directed by Peter Jackson and it is hoping to be released in 2007 - however, this is not certain. You can check out the information on; www.imdb.com

I am very interested in who is going to play Suzie though, I hope it isn't some new comer.

Here is an article from www.movies.about.com:
It was only a matter of time before the film rights to Alice Sebold's best-selling novel, "The Lovely Bones," were snatched up. Though the project was shopped around to studios, most felt it would be too difficult to bring the story to life in a movie. Fans of the book may take heart in knowing filmmaker Peter Jackson and his partner Fran Walsh have purchased the rights - with their own money - to bring the popular novel to the big screen.

According to Variety, Jackson and Walsh purchased the rights to "The Lovely Bones" and will complete a script and work out a budget before shopping the film around to studios.
"The Lovely Bones" follows the story of 14 year-old Susie Salmon who was raped and murdered. Susie narrates the story as she watches the people she knew and loved from her vantage point in Heaven. "The Lovely Bones" is a break from the sort of films Jackson's been tied to lately. zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=gEI("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb.style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zIsb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=gEI("adss");if(zIss){zIss.style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zIss.style.width="0px";}}
His hugely successful "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and the much-anticipated "King Kong," due out in May 2005, set him up as a major player in Hollywood and in fantasy films. With "The Lovely Bones," Jackson returns to a more intimate style of storytelling.

Jackson told Variety the most difficult part of adapting "The Lovely Bones" will be figuring out how to convey Susie in Heaven. "It's cleverly not described that well in the book, because Alice wanted your imagination to do the work and decide what Susie's heaven looks and feels like," Jackson told Variety. "We will have to show something on film. It has to be somehow ethereal and emotional, but it can't be hokey." Peter Jackson is currently at work on "King Kong," starring Naomi Watts, Jack Black, and Adrien Brody. Jackson and Walsh plan to begin work on "The Lovely Bones" once "King Kong" has wrapped, with an eye at releasing "The Lovely Bones" in Fall 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this book - its a beautiful book but disturbing and sad....don't know if I want to see it as a movie, but that might just be due to the fact that whenever I see a book-into-movie, I'm let down. Alas my imagination is much better

That is such an amazing book..there were parts of it that actualy made me cry...i wonder how it will translate on film

jssy4eva said:
That is such an amazing book..there were parts of it that actualy made me cry...i wonder how it will translate on film

It made me cry, I am definetly going to see this film...well depending on who plays Suzie that is.

I' glad it's Peter Jackson directing. Hopefully he will do the book some justice!

I read a rumour that Philip Seymour Hoffman is in talks to play Mr Harvey - I think that would be a great choice, he is quirky enough to pull it off.

Belowen said:
I read a rumour that Philip Seymour Hoffman is in talks to play Mr Harvey - I think that would be a great choice, he is quirky enough to pull it off.

Really? That is the guy that was in the 'Talented Mr Ripley', correct?

Ugh...I can't stand that man, he is just a terrible actor - he plays the same 'character' in every single film (basically, he plays himself). That typical annoying voice...that is slightly camp and extremely annoying, with his typical hand gestures...etc, etc.

I don't know whether to be really excited about this, or really saddened. Book to movie adaptations are always kind of disappointing in my mind because they never quite live up to anyone's expectations. I think Peter Jackson would do a decent job though, maybe even great. I remember reading the first two chapters of this book when I was 12 at a Sam's Club. I almost cried and my dad bought it for me without even checking the content of the book.
It's a book that's always touched me though, and I love/loathe reading it becuase it's so well written, yet so sad.
If they do make this into a movie, I hope they do it justice.

The Lovely Bones is such a wonderfull book, whoever will play the leads or direct it, I feel like I propably will be dissapointed because I :heart: the book so much..

peppi said:
The Lovely Bones is such a wonderfull book, whoever will play the leads or direct it, I feel like I propably will be dissapointed because I :heart: the book so much..

Ok guys...which actress would you like to see play Susie? I know she is a teenager in the film, but this could still work with many actresses.

I am thinking maybe that girl out of Thirteen??

^Yeah, Evan Rachel Wood, right? I think I read somewhere that she was interested in doing the movie. I think she would probably be good..
But I don't think I know any actresses in that age frame..just no Dakota Fanning or anything like that..
Camilla Belle is kind of an young actress but I think she maybe would look too exotic or something, dunno, wouldn't want to be the casting people..

peppi said:
^Yeah, Evan Rachel Wood, right? I think I read somewhere that she was interested in doing the movie. I think she would probably be good..
But I don't think I know any actresses in that age frame..just no Dakota Fanning or anything like that..
Camilla Belle is kind of an young actress but I think she maybe would look too exotic or something, dunno, wouldn't want to be the casting people..

Yep Evan Rachel Wood - I do think she would be perfect for the role!

Why no Dakota Fanny? :rolleyes: I do think the kid is an amazing actress...but I guess somewhat annoying at times, hehehe.

If only Dominique Swain was younger, she would be PERFECT for this role I reckon.

InnocentFairy said:
Why no Dakota Fanny? :rolleyes: I do think the kid is an amazing actress...but I guess somewhat annoying at times, hehehe.

Yeah, I guess she's a great lil' actress but she just kind of creeps me out..:P

peppi said:
Yeah, I guess she's a great lil' actress but she just kind of creeps me out..:P

Hehehe...yeah, she is almost 'too good' for her age, eh? Very mature and too old for her years.

you are seriously a hater for saying that "she is too good for her age"..just cuz she is young doesn't mean that her God-given skills can't shine as good as she'd like them to

She might be a little old but Alison Lohman would be great.

I really hope they do not mess the film up as the book was so touching.

JATE said:
you are seriously a hater for saying that "she is too good for her age"..just cuz she is young doesn't mean that her God-given skills can't shine as good as she'd like them to

Eh!? LOL! You are kidding right?

I don't hate a little girl, she is amazing for her age...what I meant by being 'too good' is that it is almost unbeliveable.

Calm down.

Dakotta Fanning is good but she is to cute/clean cut to play Susie. The role requires someone who is slightly gritty and real.

taperjeangirl said:
Dakotta Fanning is good but she is to cute/clean cut to play Susie. The role requires someone who is slightly gritty and real.

Yeah which is why I reckon the girl out of Thirteen, Chloe Sevigny could play her older sister :D

J'adore Chloe Sevigny!

Me to I think she would be great in that. Have you seen her in "Big Love" yet?

In the end I think they might go with someone unknown for Susie. I just hope they do not mess the whole thing up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->