1922-1985 Rudi Gernreich

112gr.jpg
098gr.jpg
"We have to take this terrible world and make fun of it with fun clothes, functional clothes" (Rudi Gernreich, in: Los Angeles Herald Examiner, 29. 9. 1966)
www.gernreich.steirscherbst.at

excellent pics :flower:

Love love love Peggy Moffit. Did you know models used to do their own makeup? Moffitt created her own amazing looks with artistry and personality, made stunning photos and a wonderful foil for Gernrich's creations. :heart:

I didn't know that! Very interesting. I think models had a more generally recognized active role in the process of fashion back then?

I don't knwo if they were all active , but Peggy always says that she and Rudi collaborated , she didn't just look pretty and have her picture taken in his clothes. Which i don't think many other mdoels coudl say they did.

Peggy certainly would've inspired even the most blasé of us, it was a twist of luck they teamed up early on. His innovations echo to us today and I believe it was only because he remained resolutely westcoast that he didn't receive the voice he deserved (unlike Rick Owens).
A true visionary.

two Rudi Gernreich Day Glo knit mini dresses, one hot pink, the other lime green, which were featured on cover of Time Magazine, December 1967, with headline "The Miniskirt Is Here To Stay (Till Spring Anyway.)"
doylenewyork

One of my fave all time designers ... because he was so inovative and lead the 60's style revolution.

Source: http://worldofkane.blogspot.com
All images are from The Rudi Gernreich Book by Peggy Moffit & William Claxton

I found this lovely photo of Rudi Gernreich and his stylish friends.

Rudi Gernreich, Stan Herman and others by Michio Noguchi, 1960s

ebay.com

:lol: He is the one wearing the printed blouse and white pants.
The woman with the hat... I'm in love with her outfit. Ah!

His stuff was great. That's just fearless fashion. It's just too terrible that he died so young :heart:

^ Wow - that look is totally inspired!!

Black and tan diagonal weave knitted swimming costume, 1960s, `labelled Rudi Gernreich, design for Harmon Knitwear, with three patch pockets.

6ftxo5i.jpg

kerrytaylorauctions.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the best picture, and sadly, there is no image of the back. :(

bright orange wool swimming costume, American, 1960s, labelled `design for Westwood Knitting Mills, size 12,' with simple boat-neckline at front, low V at back

4klv1vm.jpg

kerrytaylorauctions.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->