1970s-1990s Claude Montana

kit

Reaction score
There is a full page advert in the latest Vogue Hommes International of a knitted cotton sweater by ' MONTANA ' !!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Does anyone know whether this marks a return for the man himself , or whether his name has been bought and a collection designed by someone else in his name . :(

I do know that this happened to his women's collection , but even that has disappeared from sight . :unsure:

I'd be grateful for ANY information . :blush:

Regards

KIT

haven't seen the Vogue Homme yet but from instinct i think the real man himself has returned!

Originally posted by kit@Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:52 pm
There is a full page advert in the latest Vogue Hommes International of a knitted cotton sweater by ' MONTANA ' !!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Does anyone know whether this marks a return for the man himself , or whether his name has been bought and a collection designed by someone else in his name . :(

I do know that this happened to his women's collection , but even that has disappeared from sight . :unsure:

I'd be grateful for ANY information . :blush:

Regards

KIT
I saw that, and I thought of you immediately. I think someone mentioned here that he sold his company. I don't have factual info though (Google maybe?)

Originally posted by pennyfei@Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:54 pm
haven't seen the Vogue Homme yet but from instinct i think the real man himself has returned!
i doubt it...unfortunately...

sorry kit...don't know...

Many thanks for all your comments :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

If pennyfei :flower: feels it in her bones then it COULD be a good sign . :rolleyes:

KIT :wink:

claude montana

Hi!
I´m trying to find out what Claude Montana is doing today.Can´t seem to find any new articles or photos of him.I know the brand still exists but you never hear anything about him.He had financial difficulties and his wife commited suicide mid 90´s but then what?
Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
He sold his soul for rock and roll. Or more specifically fried his brain with crack. The license is now held by someone like Baumler. Ask kit.

yeah I know he had a nasty coke habit but why don´t you ever see or hear anything about him? What does he look like and how old is he?

Actually I think he was involved in designing the costumes for some theatre production quite recently...or was that Thierry Mugler?

PrinceOfCats said:
Actually I think he was involved in designing the costumes for some theatre production quite recently...or was that Thierry Mugler?
That's Thierry.

Oops, sorry. In my mind they're the same person. I don't know why...

The most recent mention I can find...

"Anno 2001 Montana is still part of the fashion circuit, but he is no longer the captain everybody looks to for guidance. Montana seems a bit rusty in his old harnass, not capable or willing to raise his sails to the changing winds of a new century" - Gay News.com

i have tried to find some info about him on the internet...but it's not easy...
i would love some images of his clothes from the eighties...
i can offer this until kit comes along and expands the topic... :flower:

Attachments

• montana3.jpg
    montana3.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 71
PrinceOfCats said:
Oops, sorry. In my mind they're the same person. I don't know why...

Oh, they're basically interchangeable. I think most everyone gets them mixed up. :wink:

haha this is so funny because as soon as I saw this topic I thought of kit. I'm not that familiar with claude montana, can anyone provide a brief background on him and his work?

:heart:

The late Helse Dolsey once called Claude Montana the "Leader of Paris fashion," but that could be said of many Paris designers. Another name for him has been "King of Shoulder Pads" which is a more apt title, looking to the size of the shoulders of many of his designs. He has spent a good deal of his career designing men's clothes for women.

Claude Montana was born in Paris in 1937 to a Spanish mother and a German father. At the end of 60's he went to London, and began designing jewellery made of Mexican papier mache and rhinestones. He sold them in the streets and markets of London. He had a modest success and was featured in British VOGUE.

He returned to Paris in 1970 and started working for a French leather company called McDouglas, where he learned the basic skills of pattern cutting/grading. He left them to start up on his own.

In 1976 Montano staged a fashion show at Angelina's Tea Room, in Paris. His designs were acclaimed and his rise was meteoric. In 1979 he set up his own company and began creating masculine styles for women. Large sharp shoulders became his trade-mark.

During the 80's he designed futuristic space-age clothes, as many other designers also did. He also continued with his heavy, broad-shouldered designs. He brought out his men's clothing line transforming the clean lines and pure forms of established men's tailoring into a more unstructured and casual alternative. He used a soft layering look, well-designed and well executed.

From 1989 to 1991, Claude Montana designed for the house of Lanvin. He designed five award winning collections.

During the 90's, his style gradually changed and became more simple and sophisticated. His collections announced a whole new set of styles with exquisite drapery, fluidity, movement and minimal construction. He used a much more feminine look. Gone were the bulky masculine overcoats, and in came furs of white fox, or coloured mink capes, and he began to make liberal use of fabrics such as velvet, crepe, mousseline, and leather.

His leather collection in the 80's caused a violent reaction in the American press, which saw them as neo-Nazi wear.

The "Fly-away" jacket, a trapeze cut flared from just below the shoulder blade, was a significant new shape.

In 1993 Claude Montana married his long-time girl-friend and earlier model, Wallis Francken - famous for starring in the Emanuelle films. They were married in Paris at the Mairie in the rue de Grenelle. The bride naturally wore a Montana outfit, a soft white crepe pantsuit. The designer wore a pair of beige and black Montana cowboy boots flown in especially from Mexico.

During the late 90's Montana designed swim-wear and soft flowing gowns with a bias cut. In 1996, he brought out a line of Jeans called BEST MOUNTAIN made by his concern Best Montana.

His beloved wife Wallis committed suicide in 1995. Montana faced considerable financial difficulties, and sold his house to a French concern, who are continuing the name.

- Stephane Parmentier

The Latest:

montanafrock2.jpg

Parmentier presented the Montana Spring/Summer 2003 collection in Paris in October 2002 which was very well received. This is an outfit from that collection.

It was based on Claude Montana's favourites especially soft leathers. There were some handsome coats with attractive white square cutouts and some blouson tops in buttery leather pastels. A white leather trenchcoat was particular beautiful with sandy beige pants.

- designerhistory.comhttp://www.designerhistory.com

Brian!! I was going to post the article as well but it wouldn't let me! I would have beaten you!

neener neener :wink: :P :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->