1970s-1990s The Japanese Avant-garde

your welcome. sorry for the shoddy quality in the first article, but i figured it was still worth to post

Thanks to all contributors in this great thread! What a trip down memory lane... The Japanese really did cause quite a stir when they started showing in Paris, I remember... I bought my first CdG shirt in 1987, and I actually kept it until last summer when it really started to fall apart. Love the quality! I have a shirt that is actually made in Japan; it was a size S so I just bought it since it's what I usually wear. The first time I wore it, I discovered it was quite big. I don't know if the sizing differs, if a Japanese S actually isn't the same as a European S? Or maybe it was mislabelled?

There was this distressed CdG jacket on Yoox a couple of years ago which I didn't buy and I could kick myself for it! :angry:

found this website w/ a bunch of pics..i'm surprised how modern they look..are the dates correct?

1994.007f.jpg
1994.007b.jpg

1994.014f.jpg
1994.014b.jpg

1994.015f.jpg
1994.015b.jpg

1994.021,022f.jpg
1994.021,022b.jpg

date unknown

2002.176f.jpg

Front
2002.176b.jpg

Back​
Description:
Black and black/white checked wool and polyester sleeveless jacket and skirt. A: The black and white checked permanently pleated sleeveless jacket has a center front zipper and black knit collar and waistband. Jacket is lined with a black quilted fabric. B: The black permanently pleated skirt has a wide black waistband and belt, side zipper, and a pleated black and white ruffle.

http://fashioncollection.colum.edu/item.php?id=2002.176ABC

yohji yamamoto

1994.011f.jpg
1994.011b.jpg

1980-1989

1994.002.jpg
1994.002f.jpg

1980-1989

1994.005f.jpg
1994.005b.jpg

1980-1989

1994.006f.jpg
1994.006b.jpg

1994.012f.jpg
1994.012b.jpg

1994.008af.jpg
1994.008ab.jpg

unknown

2002.139f.jpg
2002.139b.jpg

the first images are comme des garcons :P

btw: annak, i thought you'd like these clothes!

Last edited by a moderator:
i had the pleasure of interviewing rei, yohji, and jun takahashi (via internal marketing directors) last summer for a publication for princeton university and i must say that there is a prevailing wind of modernity and timelessnes in their studios. it was something i sensed, and seeing these images from the early 1980's (many for the first time) affirms this. dare i say classic?!

Wow, can you post the publication please:-)
Many thanks!

philip gentleman, can you give use any more gems of insight? :P

nqth - i cannot post the publication as it is now the property of the university. my apologies. it was a chapter in my dissertation regarding new marketing strategies based on cross-branding, anti-branding, and collectability.

thanks so much for the great images of all those 'vintage' pieces travolta...
good lord!!..

how gorgeous are the two white ones in post #304?!!?...
timeless and classic indeed...

yes-phil...
could you share some of your insights and tell us what you learned along your way??...
:D

Does anyone here know of books about the japanese avant garde/the design aesthetic of the japanese as a group rather than singular designers?
I'm aware there may be reference to some books throughout this thread, however it would take me a long time to get through all these pages. So if anyone reading knows of any off the top of their heads it would be of great help thanks :flower:

Thanks to everyone who contributes, I learn alot from these types of threads.

philip gentleman said:
nqth - i cannot post the publication as it is now the property of the university. my apologies. it was a chapter in my dissertation regarding new marketing strategies based on cross-branding, anti-branding, and collectability.

I see:-)

Could you give your conclusions, unheard facts or anything that could let us know why it was so interesting you actually included it into your work. The dissertation must be good then. And it will has tFS's references:-)

Philip, is it possible that the university has link to the work in their website?:-)

there are a ton of books on the japanese holy trinity and several on the lesser known heads, such as the WW monograph on jun takahashi / undercover. sadly for us westerners, most of the interesting books and magazines i came across during the dissertation research are in japanese. i found many in the idee bookshop in aoyama. the WW monograph is in english, but i don't know where to get it (got mine at idee).

i would start by hitting up cultish design bookshops - architecture bookshops (like form zero, henessy + ingalls, untitled) or japanese bookshops (like zakka, kinokuniya, mitsuwa) are a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsTransformedClothing
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->