85_peter_lindbergh_2.jpg

1986 h+ (I think it's by Arthur Elgort)
h+_1.jpg

h+_2.jpg

Noir (prob. 1988)
noir.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
81_peter_l_2.jpg

This is the actual dress that I referred to in my earlier post .

The play in which the deaf american actress appeared in London , was ' Children of a lesser God ' , I think .:unsure:

So many many thanks for coming up with this , nqth :flower: :heart:

nqth! those pictures are so awesome!!! and there is francesco clemente for comme des garcons, i didn't know that! :heart: :heart:

You are welcome, Kit and Anna:-)

In the 90s, Comme started using images nonrelated to clothes. It shows kind of graphic design, mood... Ideas. Always powerful and very very "sharp":-)

AW98-99
AW_98.jpg

AW_98_2.jpg

SS96_Kaleidoscope_2.jpg

1991_CdG_2.jpg

Shirt 2000 with Filip Pagowski
Shirt_2000.jpg

1.jpg

SS_3_JW.jpg

2000 - FIlip Pagowski - he is polish, and do you see the heart? he makes the sign for Play
SS_Filip%20Pagowski_1.jpg

SS_3.jpg

kit said:
81_peter_l_2.jpg

This is the actual dress that I referred to in my earlier post .

I forgot to say that I take this dress as a sign of Rei's genius .

She has taken the traditional English country yokel's smock and totally transmuted it into a miracle of an avant-garde dress for a woman - revolutionary , but totally wearable .

The only other designer who has this genius is Yves Saint Laurent , with his ' Le Smoking ' for women .

attachment.php

SS_3.jpg

Has anyone noticed how alike this illustration is to the TV advertisement film for the new CITROEN C4 ?

Apparently Murakami is not well liked in Japan.
They think that his work didn't deserve such a huge level of fame [according to the interview with some other relatively well known japanese graphic designers]

isnt that very typical of hometown heroes?, they start to be disliked once they get overwhelming success.
there's this old saying in my country that goes 'nobody's a prophet in homeland'.:D

kit...that ad is hilarious...!!!...i've never seen a car shake its hips before...

rather sexy for a robot...LOL..:lol:

thanks...:flower:

i'm still reading and going through all the links that have been posted...
this is a great compilation of info...

i also think that mary ping is influenced by these designers...

I love the Miyake pictures Travolta posted on the third page.

Edit: I'm going to take that back and expand it to "I love all the pictures Travolta posted".

droogist said:
She has..Comme des Garçons and Maison Martin Margiela presented their Spring/Summer 98 collections together (out of a spirit of kinship, I believe).

btw I adore this thread, I've spent the better part of an hour reading all these excellent links. Thanks everyone.

thanks for that bit of info droogist...i thought rei and margiela seemed like a natural partnership...too bad i missed it at the time... :( ... :flower:

glad you liked them alex:flower:

i've been reading whatever i can find on miyake..i pulled another section from an article I thought was particularily inspiring:

Miyake has long looked to architecture for inspiration, collaborating with international masters such as Isamu Noguchi and Shiro Kuramata and exhibiting his work in Jean Nouvel's Cartier Foundation. Parallels can certainly be drawn between Miyake's clothing and architecture writ large, although he himself is careful to draw distinctions between what he sees as hard and soft media. "The final form of clothing design is determined by the way the body moves," he says. "Unlike architecture and furniture, clothing design cannot be accomplished without the wearer's participation." Miyake is, however, experimenting with furniture that demands the body's cooperation. His beanbag-reminiscent Midas, for example, is not only humanoid but takes on its fullest form when sat upon or draped over the body like a cape.

Not all of Miyake's oeuvre is so warm and fuzzy, though. Often Miyake's means to beautiful ends involve distress and duress. Nancy Knox, the U.S. liaison to Miyake Design Studio, talks about how Miyake's oeuvre is all about flux and impermanence and how it is meant to shock, surprise, and delight--maybe even horrify. An account of the processes that Miyake has put fabric through over the years certainly reads like a list of torments: twisting, crushing, crumpling, pressing, shrinking, cutting under heat. The resulting clothing looks purified by these rites of passage--elegantly but eternally marked, as Miyake's pleats and twists are guaranteed to maintain their formal integrity. In one literal instance of beauty from ashes, the Chinese artist Cai Guo-Qiang set fire to a dragon-shaped arrangement of gunpowder on an assemblage of Pleats Please outfits in the opening ceremony of Miyake's 1998 Making Things exhibition at the Cartier Foundation, in Paris. Later the burn patterns were reproduced with advanced printing techniques onto pristine ensembles that were affixed to the museum's windows. Perhaps the fact that Miyake was a seven-year-old boy when the atomic bomb was dropped on his native Hiroshima has led him to understand the cycle of life better than most. When asked about whether design can serve to heal, Miyake responds with the thoughtfulness that has made him a lasting cultural presence--despite the fact that he once said that the designer's crowning achievement would be to disappear into anonymity. "Creation is always an expression of life, rebirth, and energy," he explains. "The real designer is a true optimist who confronts the future with a sense of responsibility."
http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_0302/miy/index_b.html

I've died and gone to heaven. This thread has literally made my day. :heart:

Thank you to everyone for the lovely images and links.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->