1970s-1990s The Japanese Avant-garde

yeah i do see a lot of belgian influence..although now i need to catch up on those guys..^_^

yohjiwhite.jpg
yohjiwhiteside.jpg
yohjiwhiteunderarm.jpg

yohji 1980s

1. Issey MIYAKE
born Hiroshima 1938
MIYAKE DESIGN STUDIO
Tokyo established 1970
Top and skirt 1989 (one of my best friends has the coat version of this and wears it religiously...:heart: )
Pleated silk, polyester blend 1989

2. Rei Kawakubo
born Tokyo 1942
COMME DES GARÇONS
Tokyo established 1973
‘Lace’ sweater 1982
hand-knitted wool with holes

http://www.visasia.com.au/programme...en_and_the_zany_contemporary_japanese_fashion

Last edited by a moderator:
wonderful, interesting thread. thanks softgrey and travolta!
mulletproof, i am all for a superflat thread...but tomorrow:lol:?

haha...:lol:...
good job travolta!!...that wrap is beyond gorgeous..!!..

mrs faust would look amazing in that...she's nice and tall...!!!...:flower:

OMG, I love this thread!!!:heart:

Thanks softgrey and everyone else who posted pics and info!

MIYAKEplantdress.jpg

issey miyake plantation cowl neck linen dress 1970s
isseyduffleswitch.jpg
isseyduffleflat.jpg

1980s nylon and stainless style duffel

isseywoolpants.jpg

1980s wool paint "webbed" knee
commejerseytwisted.jpg
commejerseyhem.jpg

1980s comme des garcons wool dress

comme des garcons 1980s

COMMEsaridress.jpg

COMMEsaridressside.jpg

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]a marvelous example of construction and craftsmanship this sari dress is simply constructed of two wide panels of handwoven panels of a black, white and gray linen and cotton blend. the skirt is a basic pareo wrapped and tied at one hip which is sewn at the waist to the bateau neck top. the top dips and then turns inside out, in front and back, to form a simple attached scarf which can be worn draped over the shoulder on one or both shoulders. the fabric pattern is a basic homage to antique textiles and you just have to see the warp and weave up close to appreciate the construction. unlined and sporting the original comme Des garcons label. perfect barefoot on a smolderingly hot day or with cherry red jcrew wedge thongs - a summer staple - as you run to the corner store for newcastle and strawberries.[/size][/font]

I found an nice excerpt about Japanese aesthetics:

The domination of aesthetic scruples over Japanese life has, as its culminating instance, the tea ceremony - a marvel of constrained social ballet - to the study of which whole lives have been devoted. Associated with this triumph of manners is an art of mood and evocation, in which significance is found in the small, concentrated gesture, the sudden revelation of transcendent meaning in what is most ordinary and unassuming. In the late 18th century Motoori Norinaga, a leading literary scholar, summed up the essence of Japanese art and literature as the expression of a touching intimation of transience, which he captured in the famous phrase mono no aware, meaning roughly “the sensitivity to the sadness of things.” Other aesthetic qualities emphasized by classical scholars and critics are en (“charming”), okashi (“amusing”), and sabi (having the beauty of old, faded, worn, or lovely things). In all such aesthetic categories, we can sense the resonance of the Taoist and Buddhist ideas of renunciation.http://www.compilerpress.atfreeweb.com/Anno%20Scruton%20Aesthetics%20EB%202003%20c.htm

you are most welcome luxmode...:heart:
travolta!....where have you been all my life?!?!...
you are finding the most amazing images...:clap:

i love that plantation dress...and the pants...:heart:
how cool is that bag!!...and the sari-style dress is wonderfully and quietly beautiful...

*good move adding the kenzo...

images by nick knight...yohji yamamoto...

*there is a scene from a nine inch nails video directed by mark romanek which strongly resembles the secong image...markromanek.com

yy ad campaign...shot by nick knight...from hintmag.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->