2010 CFDA Awards

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by LolaSvelt, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LolaSvelt

LolaSvelt New Member

The nominations have been announced.

I know this is an award show for American designers, but there is only so much you award them. Maybe if it was an international award, the nominations would be interesting. The fact that Michael Kors is getting a lifetime achievement supports this. :sick: Where is Rodarte, anyway? Easily two of the best American designers and no nomination?!

The only thing that excites me is the actual show and which of my favourite stylish celebrities will be there in attendance.

2. ALAUU

ALAUU New Member

to be fair, I think that Michael Kors really embodies American sportswear. But, I do agree that the nominees are getting repetitive. It's the same ones getting the nominations/awards every year.

3. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I agree - I don't think Jason Wu should be considered an emerging talent to the same extent that Altazurra and Prabal Gurung are. It makes sense in my mind that Michael Kors should get a lifetime achievement award - he really has defined American sportswear and I still love a lot of what he puts out. It's just not very exciting when it's the same handful of people....

4. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Active Member

No Rodarte et Proenza S ?!
    I love there collection.....

5. simons

simons Member

patrik ervell! his fall 2010 was so good.

6. LagerfeldBoy

LagerfeldBoy Active Member

The only one that makes sense for me is Proenza being a nominee for accessory designer of the year. I think their accessories for both SS10 & FW10 are just so luxe and desirable and they're easily becoming some of the most lust worthy accessories to me.

7. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

i agree meg. granted it's been a quick push to the fore but he is still more established than the other nominees. would have loved to see ohne titel or rad hourani in that position.

chris bailey though? of all that could have been chosen? and i really wish they would make that a real category rather than just some honour. for a awards ceremony honouring such an international industry they could make that part of the whole ceremony,imo.

big congrats though to kim hastreiter...she's been writing at paper for such a long time....she is one of the ultimate NYC underground veteran/icon's other than her co-worker lynn yaeger.

#7 Scott, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by moderator cin: Mar 19, 2010
  8. FashionPower

FashionPower Active Member

Such a bland list,of couse MJ is gonna win both accessories and womenswear awards :rolleyes:
    I hate how american fashion is SO focused on money and business,they always put the designer that sells more and get more press coverage,they really don't care about the individual collections or the quality of clothing

9. asta

asta New Member

Proenza won 2 years ago in the designer of the year category and Rodarte won last year. Maybe the Cfda doesn't want to nominate the same people that have won before?

10. ponytrot

ponytrot New Member

GOD. What a boring list.

How bland - like much of the stiff, retrogrades over in US fashion. :innocent:

11. Caffeine

Caffeine Active Member

not sure how many people have seen Rodarte's work in real life. I've seen a few pieces at Barneys and I was very underwhelmed.
    Give me a simple sheath and some pieces of whatever leftover leather or chiffon to sew over the sheath. That's Rodarte. And those pieces were sold for over $10,000. Don't call it American design please. It's called hype and major ripoff.

12. Scott

if it were up to me(perhaps others?)the womenswear would certainly be different. perhaps they should just call it the 'hyped established designer's award' because that's all they seem to nominate...if not porenza,wang or rodarte it's the old reliables....

i've seen a few designers that have been worlds better than any of those mentioned,even rodarte. gary graham,threeasfour,ohne titel(as mentioned),matthew ames,VPL,robert geller(men),rad hourani,doo.ri,zero maria cornejo etc.....smaller they may be but they do still have an impact on the NYC fashion industry. to me they are the reason many are even still interested in NY fashion. i just think the system should open itself more and recognise not only the hierarchy but those that don't have all the accolades and the stamps of approval from vogue etc. they're just not conscious of what they have as a whole.

#12 Scott, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited by moderator cin: Mar 21, 2010
  13. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

alexander wang certainly has friends in high places, doesn't he?

14. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

You have to wonder for all the people that wrote his name in on the ballot, how many of them actually wear his clothes? Don't they know that his fabrics are awful and that the seams fall apart? My poor girlfriend had her sweater fall apart at the seams and unravel through the course of a party. She had just bought the piece earlier that day. A girl I know who works at a prominent downtown boutique that sells a high volume of Alex has a side responsibility doing repairs on Wang's clothes that fall apart...on the hanger!

15. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

Preaching the gospel!!!!

16. STYLEOClDE

STYLEOClDE blink once. blink twice.

*Nods.

17. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Wintour lovers her some Alexander Wang and Jason Wu, so it isn't surprising that they're on the list.

18. Scott

did anybody catch paper mag's kim hastreiter's acceptance speech? all i can say is...ballsy and honest :heart:

papermag.com

19. InnocentSuccubus

InnocentSuccubus New Member

GREAT SPEECH. Someone needed to SAY it!!!
    Thanks for posting.
    This also made me smile

dailyfrontrow.com
    One CFDA member told Chic why she didn't vote for Joseph Altuzarra for the CFDA's Swarovski Award for Womenswear: "He's talented, but in my book his last collection was a direct knockoff of Tom Ford's Fall 2003 show for Gucci." Divine inspiration or something too...literal? We report, you decide, Carine will disagree—but in any case, check out the entire collection here.

20. XxXRedRubYXxX

XxXRedRubYXxX Tobias Funke

Amazing, amazing speech. It kind of sickens me that she's soon point with how the fashion industry is..:(