81st Annual Academy Awards predictions

LolaSvelt

Reaction score
Next month is when all the oscar films start to pour in.

Let's see:

Picture:
After the success of The Dark Knight, possibly a BP nod? Also, Revolutionary Road, The Road, The Exchange and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Direction: Spike Lee for Miracle at St. Anna? Or maybe Clint Eastwood will receive yet another oscar nod for his work in The Exchange? Also Sam Mendes for Revolutionary Road. Others: David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Gus Van Sant and Mike Leigh.

Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn in Milk? Or Benicio Del Toro in Guerrilla, Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon, Leo DiCaprio for Revolutionary Road/Body of Lies, Viggo Mortensen for The Road, Jamie Foxx for The Soloist and Richard Jenkins for The Visitor. Or an ever bigger though, Josh Brolin for Oliver Stone's W.? How about Sir Ben Kingsley for Elegy and Brad Pitt for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

Actress in a Leading Role: Maybe Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road? Or La Streep for Doubt? Oscar loves Mike Leigh's leading ladies, so maybe Sally Hawkins for Happy Go Lucky? As well as Angelina Jolie for The Exchange and the English actresses going period drama with Keira Knightley in The Duchess and Emily Blunt in The Young Victoria.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Obviously choice is a posthumous oscar for Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Why not? Or...Philip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt, Emile Hirsch/Josh Brolin for Milk, Robert Downey Jr. for The Soloist and Russell Crowe for Body of Lies. There's also Michael Sheen, shamefully snubbed for The Queen in another biopic, Frost/Nixon. Or even Ralph Fiennes for The Duchess.

Actress in a Supporting Role: Possibly Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona? A double nod for Kate Winslet in The Reader? Her Revolutionary Road co-star Kathy Bates? There's also Viola Davis/Amy Adams for Doubt and yet ANOTHER nod for Cate Blanchett for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Do you think Nicole Kidman might get a nomination for Australia? (Although it isn't out yet.)

I think Australia could be a massive hit or a massive bomb. I also forgot about Brideshead Revisited! Emma Thompson looks like a good contender. The reviews have been great!

Emma Thompson is fantastic in Brideshead Revisited! She doesn't have a great amount of screentime, but the time that she does have leaves a lasting impression on viewers.

I'm hoping that Revolutionary Road will do well, simply because Kate Winslet will star opposite Leonardo diCaprio. :wub: :lol:

As many of these films haven't come out yet, it's hard to predict. :wink: All I'm hoping for is that Heath Ledger will be nominated posthumously. I can't imagine someone who deserves it more than he does. :flower: I know that James Dean was never nominated for his stunning performance in Rebel Without A Cause, but that was 50 years ago. Hopefully things have changed now...

I'm hoping that Revolutionary Road will do well, simply because Kate Winslet will star opposite Leonardo diCaprio. :wub: :lol:

As many of these films haven't come out yet, it's hard to predict. :wink: All I'm hoping for is that Heath Ledger will be nominated posthumously. I can't imagine someone who deserves it more than he does. :flower: I know that James Dean was never nominated for his stunning performance in Rebel Without A Cause, but that was 50 years ago. Hopefully things have changed now...
Are you saying that the Academy doesn't like to give posthumous nominations because even though James Dean was not nominated for his role as Jim in Rebel Without a Cause, he was nominated for his performances in East of Eden and Giant.

I think we have to watch the films before predicting. :P

But yes, I do think Heath will get the nomination. He was brilliant in TDK.

I don't think Heath Ledger should win a posthumous Oscar. He gave an impressive 'turn' in The Dark Knight but how anyone could give an Award-worthy performance in a film so bad that it even makes Christian Bale look like a crap actor.

based on performance - I think he deserves a nom - but not a win

I'm really anxious to see 'The Reader'- I know Kate Winslet did a fantastic job. I haven't heard of most of these movies. I hope I get a chance to see some of these.

I don't know if heath deserves an oscar for TDK.. sure he was the best actor in the movie (but it's not like the others were that good) but I don't think that the performance was oscarwin-worthy

I just hate how people were all 'oscar to heath ledger' before the movie even came out

I thought that The Dark Knight was a really good movie. However, if it gets a nom for best picture, I'd be shocked.
I'm not going to try to make a list of oscar contenders until I've actually seen all of the well received fall/winter movies. I can think of a large number of movies which had a lot of buzz surrounding them simply because of their cast. Then, when the movies were actually released, they all received dreadful reviews.

Let's bump this thread. We're in December now.

Picture:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Milk
Revolutionary Road
The Wrestler
Don't Count Out: Rachel Getting Married, Happy-Go-Lucky, Doubt and Slumdog Millionaire

Director:
Aronofsky, The Wrestler
Leigh, Happy-Go-Lucky
Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mendes, Revolutionary Road
Van Sant, Milk
Don't Count Out: Nolan for The Dark Knight, Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire, Demme for Slumdog Millionaire, Daldry for The Reader

Actor:
Leonardo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
Don't Count Out: Richard Jenkins for The Visitor and Clint Eastwood for Gran Torino

Actress:
Cate Blanchett, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road
Don't Count Out: Kristin Scott Thomas for I've Loved You So Long, Angelina Jolie for Changeling, Michelle Williams for Wendy and Lucy, Melissa Leo for Frozen River

Supporting Actor:
Josh Brolin, Milk
Ralph Fiennes, The Reader
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road
Don't Count Out:
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder and Liev Schreiber for Defiance

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, Doubt
Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
RoseMarie DeWitt, Rachel Getting Married
Kate Winslet, The Reader
Don't Count Out: Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been totally out of the loop this year in terms of movies. This list will be a great way to get back into the swing of things!

P.S. is it just me or does Meryl Streep go to the Oscars every year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->