90's Makeup

Dark color in the crease of the eye to emphasis the depth..and light color on the browbone and middle of eyelid as contrast both in color but also in a play of depth".
yes!!!That's right!
i understand better like that :wink:

Well, everything is ok now :P

hated the lipliner...especially the horrid black one and the thin eye brows. loved the androgynous make up and the glam looks

When i look at pictures back then i often see this kind of makeup:

When you look back at pictures from that time, you often see the work of the make-up artist Kevyn Aucoin, who did that picture of Naomi Campbell, first seen in an issue of Allure (that editorial was a series of supermodel shots).

Kevyn was a make-up magician, and he was into the idea of contouring as a way to take control of the shape of your face, for transformation and also for fun.

I think Kevyn worked behind-the-scenes for Vogue etc since the mid-eighties, but it was the 90's when he really rose to being known as more of a household name (if your household was mascara-mad and subscribed to Allure). And before that, he also played an important part in product creation, as his wiki entry states:

Ultima II

In 1983, Revlon hired Kevyn Aucoin, at the age of 21, as Creative Director for their prestige Ultima II line of cosmetics. A year later, Aucoin would launch The New Nakeds (later renamed The Nakeds), a groundbreaking line that was a strong counterpoint to cosmetics available at the time. Says Linda Wells, editor of Allure magazine, of the line: "It may not seem like it, but it was a powerful moment. Before, there were makeup lines for white women and others for black women. But he worked to design makeup for all skin tones. The idea was to empower a woman by revealing her natural beauty, and not to cover her up with layers of product."[3]

The New Nakeds

The New Nakeds embraced a radically different aesthetic than the norm of the time: foundations that featured a yellow undertone, instead of pink or peach; eyeshadows, lipstick and blushes were brown-based, neutral tones that were free of the pastel, vivid, or sparkly colours cosmetics companies knew sold better.[4] Although Ultima II (and all of Revlon's beauty divisions) were in a decline at the time,[5] the New Nakeds resuscitated interest in the brand and help re-establish Ultima II as a viable competitor in the prestige arena.
The colors, textures and finishes Aucoin created in the New Nakeds would serve as the most influential direction of the latter part of the century, and visible as brands MAC, Bobbi Brown, and Laura Mercier all launched with their version of the products Aucoin created years earlier.

Kevyn Aucoin Cosmetics

Later, Aucoin would work with Japanese cosmetics giant Shiseido on their Inoui line.[6] He would later be approached by both Vincent Longo and Laura Mercier to endorse their eponymous lines, [7] but decided to launch his own brand, Kevyn Aucoin Beauty, in 2001 instead.

The 90's were about Kevyn Aucoin and Bobbi Brown. If you can find both of their earliest books on makeup you will find a lot of the tips and tricks used on celebs and supermodels, if you so choose. Kevyn was really the supermodel go to guy though, where Bobbi was more of the celebrity makeup artist. Earth tones were big-but other go to palettes were purples and pinks.

For me, 90's beauty equals butchered eyebrows and overdone lipliner. Really not aesthetically pleasing...

I think the 90s were so raw and natural in a way from a music perspective...but i love how all those pictures look like you know how natural glows so models were first...wasn't that the big era of the super models? Maybe cause they weren't as big time painted and photoshopped even!! Love of those natural tones in the make up even when im a big fan of the extreme make up from the 60s and 70s ...this make up is gorgeous!!

linda evangelista is like the epitome of the 90's makeup "aesthetic" because she had that sort of natural plump lips arched brow thing going on and everyone seemed to try to emulate that with makeup. so gorgeous though.

vaness-paradis.tumblr.com

000019210219684l.jpg

a863171148513774.jpg

vp05.jpg

To be honest, I quite liked the nude lips and the strongly applied lip liner as long as it was smudged nicely on the edges and the colour was still the same. Sort of like in the Vanessa Paradis picture above. Or Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct...
The worst thing was the high contrast lip and lipline colour and the overplucked eyebrows. Horrific... ha.

I love the 90's Vampy lips! Revlon Colorstay Vixen and Chanel Vamp. I'm playing with Vamp now!
I miss the browns and burgundies of the 90's.

I guess I have to say it's much better than the 80s but I'm not crazy about 90s makeup. I don't like the lip shades or the eyeshadow contouring.

Vogue Paris June/July 2011

silentmodels.com

I was just thinking about that Ed. because I LOOOOVE the makeup and as soon as I saw it, I read 90's all over it. I'm dying to see HQ of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->