A Tribute to the 90s Supermodels

Herb Ritts Retrospective: Naomi Campbell Remembers the Iconic Photographer
34t5x89.jpg

The long and legendary supermodel era of the ’90s can be summed up in one gorgeous and distinct photograph: Herb Ritts’ now-iconic shot of Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, Tatjana Patitz and Stephanie Seymour huddled together in the nude.

But the 1989 sitting almost didn’t happen.

As Campbell recalls, Turlington was on a Calvin Klein contract and reportedly wasn’t allowed to participate. “We said, ‘How can you not be in this picture?’” Campbell says. “And she jumped in, and that was it!”

That black-and-white image is just one of nearly 80 photographs on display at the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles as part of a new exhibition and book on the photographer. Herb Ritts: L.A. Style, on view through Aug. 12, focuses on the portraits and nudes from Ritts, who documented models, musicians, actresses and other celebrities for magazines such as Interview, Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair throughout his career.

“He always had a vision about how he wanted every picture,” Campbell says. “He liked strength in his pictures, and he got you to do things that you never thought you could do. He was very encouraging and would talk to you about a picture first, and slowly get you there to where he wanted. And you’d be amazed that you even could do that. It was always a pleasure working with him. He was a complete gentleman, and I loved every picture he took of me.”

Campbell first met Ritts in the late ’80s when she was introduced by fellow model Tatitz. She would often stay with him when she visited Los Angeles, and the two later traveled together to South Africa, where Ritts captured the first photograph of the supermodel with former South African president Nelson Mandela. “He was just a really special human being, and someone that I know is dearly missed in fashion—you never see that kind of picture anymore,” Campbell says.

And while many people revere the image of the five supermodels as one of the most famous sittings in fashion photography, Campbell says they had no idea it would become so iconic. “It was just nice for us to be together,” she says. “We rarely get to do pictures together—even to this day—so it was like a catch-up time for us. We got there in the morning, had lunch and then he told us what we were going to do. It was easy—it was always easy with Herb.”

Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/04/10/herb-ritts/#ixzz1sFMlr9QA

Cindy Crawford pushing the other Models on Catwalk at "THIERRY MUGLER" 1991

"CLAUDIA SCHIFFER" "NAOMI CAMPBELL" and many Top Models in Vintage Swimwear 1995

Heather Stewart Whyte

Victoria Secret Summer Sale 1995 these Scans are from Capt_Bob
Heather Stewart-Whyte

Heather Stewart-Whyte, Stephanie Seymour and Frederique van der Wal.

VOGUE India 2010:flower:

Zinio

Attachments

• VOGUE India 2010.jpg
    VOGUE India 2010.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
Elaine Irwin, Tatjana Patitz

Elaine Irwin and Tatjana Patitz walking the Fashion Runway from the 1990s my own Scan.

Elaine Irwin

Elaine Irwin - Dana Buchman Adverts from the 1990s. Elaine almost looks like Actress Cate Blanchett in these Adverts My Own Scans.​

Elaine Irwin and Naomi Campbell

Elaine Irwin - Rare Finds from the 1990sMy Own Scans.

Elaine Irwin and Naomi Campbell from the 1990s.

Tyson Beckford says Linda Evangelista's famous pronouncement about '90s-era supermodels not waking up "for less than $10,00 a day" helped him — and other models of his time — make "silly" amounts of money. Beckford explained in a recent interview that some of his paychecks were so large, they were almost comical.
"I once walked in a fashion show *— literally, just walked —* for no more than a minute or two and they paid me a silly amount of money . . . $40,000," Beckford said. "I was like, 'Really? You don't have to give me that!' You know when Linda said that it set the bar for every other model —* everyone just upped their day rates. It was hilarious. All the models — women and men — were like, 'Remind me to send Linda flowers!'"
Beckford also said that paychecks weren't the only things in the '90s modeling industry that were over the top.
"The fashion industry was so different back then. I guess it was all so new and so extravagant," he said. "The budgets were enormous; it was certainly a lot more fun. The parties were out of control and because no one had a camera phone and there was no Facebook or Twitter, you could do whatever you wanted with whoever you wanted."

http://www.fashionologie.com/Tyson-Beckford-Models-Pay-22811895

Elaine Irwin, Basia Milewic, Laetitia Casta

My Scans of Victoria Secret Country Spring Catalogue 1998 with Elaine Irwin, Basia Milewicz and Laetitia Casta.

Can anyoen ID the models in this show?
It's Verónique Leroy S/S 1993

1990 09 17th Elle Fr - Ph. Marc Hispard :
Meghan Douglas & Tereza Maxova

AngelScans
:smile:

1992 FW Escada Ads :
Niki Taylor, Gail Elliott & Yasmin Le Bon

AngelScans

:smile:

Can anyoen ID the models in this show?
It's Verónique Leroy S/S 1993

the quality of the video is not very good... I could only identify Marie Sophie Wilson at 1:13... There must have been Tereza Maxova as well but I am not sure...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biakasprik
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->