The Supermodel - Is it Time for a Rebirth?

Candice can be "our generation"'s top model imo. Clearly, models cannot get the exposure that the queens had back then. A girl will not be a superstar like Tyra, Naomi, Gisele anymore because our society changed a lot and we see beautiful everywhere on TV. To me, VS models are as close as a supermodel can be now: a model that people know. and Candice is on a very good way.

Candice definitely has the most potential to be the next supermodel at the moment. If she keeps up the HF work and continues VS she might be able to master the two worlds just like Gisele did. I think she just needs to work on her personality, and make herself more of a businesswomen if she wants to get there.

I think she just needs to work on her personality, and make herself more of a businesswomen if she wants to get there.

she clearly don't have the personality to be a supermodel, all those ladies were all pretty strong and Candice really sound... soft (?) I don't see her having a great career path and how to get it in her head. I think she can be the new Adriana Lima, like the face of VS if Adri/Ale leaves but she will not be a personality because hers is... quite forgettable.

I could watch interview of Gisele even if she is not promoting anything because she is just great to listen to. Interview of Candice... I don't know it's always about growing in a farm and now doing VS and enjoying it... I don7t think she can spark much interest if not only for her awesome body

I hate to even mention it, but what about Kate Upton? I remember seeing an interview with her where she said her goal was to become a newly-defined supermodel. It seemed laughable at first but with her getting pages in Vogue (US, Spain) and apparently being on the cover of Carine Roitfeld's magazine it seems like she does get a lot of support in the HF world. What if she's not just a fad and will indeed be able to turn all her fame (I think she's probably even more well-known than Adriana Lima already) into a legit modeling career? It will be interesting to see, for sure :ninja:

I actually agree that Candice has a lot of potential. She's beautiful but in a more commercial sense than Karlie and Joan. And she really is a great model, too. I find her convincing in all the characters she portrays in editorials.

I still believe in Karlie not having reached her peak yet. But judging by how she's perceived in the mainstream media she might not quite have the right look for this, though she definitely has the personality, ambition and energy to be a true supermodel.

Is it time for a rebirth? No, every era will have new born and defined models and idols. The idolizing is different too. We have internet now, an instant access to all world´s entertaiment. In the beginning of 90s we had monthly magazines and cd-players were the hottest thing. And recording VHS player :D So now people find easier their specific interest from the web, the variety will be bigger.

What comes to famousness of the new generation models, in the Finnish entertaiment media you can quite frequently read about Gisele, Natalia Vodianova, Bar, Adriana, Miranda, Candice, Alessandra and Doutzen, Karolina and even Coco. Chrystal Renn has also been noticed. And of course Kate Upton, her celebrity is really a world wide thing. And sometimes even the most random models get noticed in the media. Models seem to be a little more IT thing today, because I have noticed the change in the local papers in just a few years. Someone like Gisele has of course been exposed since 00s`

So they may be the biggest on the famous part, plus they all have pretty good deals behind them. Maybe they are the new defined super models, and we still have our original supers doing good. They have managed to evolve, the group of girls I mentioned have all pretty long careers behind them already, they have proven to evolve. Time seems to go faster nowadays, so who knows if anyone remebers name Candice in the 2025.

I guess if you want your supermodel, you can go to web and find as much as you want from anyone you want. TFS good example. It is the name of the game. Also the entertaiment media wouldn`t ever be this big without the internet, there actually is much more space to be famous than ever before. For every it girl in the 90s there are like 20-50 todays it girls, depends how you count.

i think for the general public, the only definition they need on whether or not someone is a supermodel is whether or not they actually know who she is. that's it. so essentially, yes, as far as the masses are concerned - FAME = Supermodel.

there's no comparing Kate Upton to Karlie Kloss. i mean, it's literally hilarious to even pretend to do so. and i'm quite sure that 99% of people who are involved in fashion or who care about fashion wouldn't consider her (or Irina or Brooklyn, for that matter) to be a "supermodel". but those SI girls get a ton of exposure and fame and so a lot of the general public would call them supermodels. and also would definitely consider them 'more attractive' than Karlie, Arizona, Natasha, Saskia, Karmen, etc etc.

i tend to believe that being a SUPERMODEL is defined as being tremendously successful and having a long career and having some measure of public recognition or highest respect from your peers. whether that's in high fashion or in more commercial modeling is irrelevant to me. even a commercial swimsuit model who's had an extensive career, but never really any high fashion experience can be a 'supermodel'.

for example, i think the VAST majority of people would consider Elle MacPherson, Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Christie Brinkley to be supermodels. they're some of the most famous and successful women ever to model. they're not on the iconic fashion level of the Naomi, Christy, Linda, Cindy, Kate group - because those women were the anomaly. they were the ones who merged commercial+haute together and conquered both worlds. but that trend only lasted for as long as those women worked. since the 2000s, we're back to the old formula of having separate models for separate kinds of modeling (with a few exceptions like Gisele and KK who managed to find success in both).

Adriana Lima is a supermodel. she's one of the most famous and lusted after women in the world -- and it's due, exclusively, to her swimsuit/lingerie modeling. but she's earned millions of dollars and is known round the world, so how could someone argue with her success?

Raquel Zimmerman is also a supermodel. she may be the most respected and admired fashion model of the last decade, amongst her peers. but you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody outside the fashion world who actually knows who she is. same can be said for folks like Daria or Natalia (though they both have a bit more fame than Raquel, particularly Natalia).

point is -- there's room for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be alone in this opinion, but I don't really want supermodels to come back.

I agree with most of you, Kate and Gisele were the last models to reach supermodel status. The fact is most people outside of the fashion world have no idea who Daria or Natalia are, this immediately disqualifies them from supermodel status. Of course they will be better known in some countries than others, but the true supermodels were known pretty much worldwide! The late nineties/turn of the millenium marked a big change in the modelling world, the supermodel as we know it died. I really do hope one day there will be a rebirth.

I thought this interview was quite interesting, especially the discussion about how 'the supermodel' arrived and subsequently departed.

hmm ... IF we are going by the definition of "supermodel" as it existed in the 80s and 90s, then truly, since the 2000s, there is only Gisele. Natalia may be famous in Russia and France but she's not famous in America or Bolivia or Korea or other random countries. And the 90s girls actually were. I was living in Korea when the film "Taxi" came out. Over here in North America, it was promoted as the Queen Latifah/Jimmy Fallon movie. But neither of them are famous in Korea, so the movie posters and the promotion was about "Gisele Bundchen in Taxi". She's actually the only model in recent times to be as famous and successful as the supers of the past.

I, personally, choose to redefine "supermodel" to be appropriate for the times we're in and in my previous posts I've elaborated much moreso on that.

But, yeah, if it's strictly in terms of 80s 90s style supermodel? Neither Natalia nor Daria make the cut.

I am likely very biased here, and please feel free to disagree with me -- but I do feel like, since 2000, Karolina Kurkova is the only other model to come near that 80s 90s "supermodel" status (obviously Daria and Natalia have had more substantial high-fashion careers, but KK has that it that makes her quite famous and celebrity around the world; paparazzi pics, big events, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow marks the 5-year anniversary of this thread, so hoping it lasts for another 5 years and in order to avoid the same ending most model combats have after continual 'my favorite model is better than your favorite model' interactions, this has been purged. Please keep in mind that tFS, as it's been stretched out numerous times, is not a fan site, make sure you read the first pages of this thread in order to catch up with its purpose and add contributions that continue to enrich it, make it worth reading and accessible for people of all ages/interests. Further stan-ning will be removed and may result in permanent suspension of membership. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->