The Supermodel - Is it Time for a Rebirth?

It's very possible for Gisele, she's making great decisions so I can see how they can make that "prediction"/assumption.

She can easily tie in many of her ventures together. With the "Hope" venture she's becoming the Edward Razek of Brazil but goes above what he can't do and model the product.

She owns these hotels and has a skincare line right? Well with her lines of hotels she can easily sell her products at the gift shops for people that go there (and again how many tourists forget something here and there? We've all done it.) Plus apart from being the "Gisele" hotels it's also items that she promotes so people would be more inclined to buy so... she can do the same thing with the lingerie/C&A, all these things she's doing will feed off each other and build. It's quite admirable.

Comparing Gisele to someone in the music industry she would be the equivalent of Beyonce/Jay-Z who market themselves so well with all these ventures and tie them in and you see them all over, girls like Alessandra, Adriana, Daria, Natalia and so on while they make good money it's from specific work so what Katy Perry, Rihanna and so on would be, while still recognizable in their fields, its only that.

Sorry for getting a tad bit out of topic, but I find all this fascinating.

Gisele's modelling career is certainly a healthy source of income, but she's gone beyond that point, and now has a wide range of investments and business interests, where she gets to be the person who profits from having part-ownership of the company, rather than merely being the face of the product.

That article is a huh for me because it is three or four years too late. Of course the supermodel era is over and has been over for over a decade. To me you have the supermodel era with Linda, Naomi, Cindy, Claudia, Christy and others, that was a time where even if you were even a top model in the or a swimsuit /lingerie model you were a recognizable celebrity. There were supermodels after the supermodel era, namely Gisele, Kate and arguably Heidi, and then you also have Tyra, who I will refer to as a celebmodel, and you can say that these four took their supermodeldom to the next level and became brands and entrepreneurs / moguls. My thing is that that era has come and gone too, not because these women are not still making a ton of money, but because this has been the paradigm for a few years. To me the thing is that you cannot have supermoguls / superbrands without supermodels / celebmodels and while I think that there will be supermodels / celebmodels in the future, I don't know if there is one among the current established* who will achieve Gisele, Tyra, Kate or Heidi levels in terms of branding and therefore the supermogul / superbrand era is over too.

P.S.
* Karlie Kloss is the only one among established girls who I will say is TBD because she is so young and really has not started modeling full throttle.

Also there are other models who I think may become lightweight versions of Tyra and that is not stay in the modeling game long enough (or not be in demand enough) to become bonafide supermodels but will have enough recognition to become a brand and embark on other ventures, the models who potentially fit this mode are Miranda Kerr, Coco Rocha and perhaps Crystal Renn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really a fan of the 90's Supermodel(except Christy Turlington), I find it rather overrated.

All we have to do is move on. We may not recreate the Supermodel, still we can create a new/original phenomenon. I mean with girls like Alessandra, Candice, Miranda, Rosie & Adriana, who are not only sex symbols but also a high-fashion darlings, is it not impossible.

My money's on Adrej Pejic, btw. Andrejenous FTW. :rofl:

who was the highest paid model before Gisele? Claudia Schiffer, according to Forbes

I would not be surprised if Adriana is indeed be more famous than Gisele because I do think that someone can be very much in the spotlight for a few years and then recede, and even though I think that recognition by the general public is a criteria for being a supermodel, I don't think that after a certain level of recognition that more recognition equates to being more of a supermodel. For example, I think that at this time Kate, Cindy and Naomi are more famous than Linda, Christy and Claudia, but that does not make them more of a supermodel.

Having said that, I think that while Kate and Gisele are bona fide supermodels, Adriana may actually make more money from modeling and if this is the case, I am still trying to figure out how to process the relevancy of that information.

Claudia Schiffer, according to Forbes
Claudia Schiffer, according to Forbes... in 2000. Was published in 2001, but the data are all that she earns in 2000, is written at the bottom.

The actual list is here. #1 Gisele: $45 M, #2 Heidi Klum: $ 20 M.

I like Adriana, but the supermodel is Gisele.

For me a supermodel has to work first as a successful model (catwalk, advertising, editorials and covers in important fashion magazines covers,...) and then transcend that world.

Many of the "next supermodel" that have been named here, have skipped the first part of my definition of supermodel, some were rejected by the fashion world and now have managed to enter because they have become celebrities. But, for me, that does not make them supermodels.

Today, any famous enough celeb can make a lot of money, be on magazines cover, ad campaigns, sometimes even do catwalk. There are plenty of celebrities who have stolen the models work. So, if the models can not keep jobs that should be for models, how will they transcend it?

Found this recent Forbe's article.

The End Of The Supermodel

May. 8 2011 - 4:17 pm |

Last week, Forbes published its annual World’s Top Earning Models List. Gisele Bundchen, as she has for each year of list’s existence, vastly out-earned her competitors, this time with an estimated $45 million.

Four years ago, I headed up the first World’s Top Earning Models list. Before that, models appeared on the annual Celebrity 100 list along with musicians, actors, actresses, directors and other Hollywood entertainers.
At the time, this made sense. Models who appeared on the celebrity list, like Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, Christie Brinkley and Claudia Schiffer, seemed part of Hollywood. They starred in movies and music videos, they dated or married movie stars, they cut singles, they were regulars on talk shows, they attracted screaming mobs at malls. Everyone knew their names and faces—just like movie stars.

But by 2007, the definition of a supermodel was already beginning to change, and I was having trouble justifying putting some of the top earning models on what was supposed to be a list of Hollywood entertainers. Heidi Klum had a TV show, so fine. Gisele Bundchen and Kate Moss were incredibly famous, so fine. But Adriana Lima? Alessandra Ambrosio? Carolyn Murphy? What did they do besides model? Who, besides those who followed the fashion world closely, even knew who they were?
Thus was born The World’s Top Earning Models list. On this list a model could be, well, just a model. Here, there was room for Estee Lauder face Hilary Rhoda, Lancome face Daria Werbowy and Calvin Klein muse Natalia Vodianova. These girls didn’t do movies. They hardly ever appeared on TV, except for their own fashion ads. And, except for the most fanatical modeling fans, no one had a clue what guys they were dating. Yet these ladies were all at the top of their game and making millions. They needed a list of their own, and they got it.
Looking at the most recent models list, it’s clear to me that successful models are now even more removed from Hollywood. Most of them are not household names—certainly, not in the way that Tyra Banks, Elle MacPherson or Cindy Crawford were in their heyday (and still are).

As beautiful as the new girls are, the names Candice Swanepoel or Lara Stone just do not spark the same excitement that the supermodel trio of Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington and Naomi Campbell did in the early 1990s. But a decade ago, cosmetic contracts began going to actresses, who figured out that starring in a lipstick ad wouldn’t necessarily stop them from winning an Oscar (hello, Halle Berry). And today, pretty women who get well paid and attract legions of fans for not much more than being pretty aren’t called supermodels—they’re called the Kardashians.
The supermodel era, as it was defined two decades ago, is dead.

In its place, however, there’s a more interesting model—one that has more in common with Wall Street than Hollywood. These days, even the newest models have branched out into licensing deals that encompass everything from clothing and jewelry to fragrances, furniture and food. In fact, a year after The World’s Top Earning Models list debuted, I headed up The Most Entrepreneurial Supermodels list, which Forbes still runs.
Today, models may not have their own TV shows, starring roles in movies, or even movie star husbands—but they have something better. They have the template for a multi-dimensional, multiple-platform career. Not to mention that the supermodels of yesterday are as busy as ever. Many of them—such as Kathy Ireland, Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum—now head up multi-million dollar or even billion dollar corporations.
So the question isn’t “Will the era of the supermodel ever return?” but “How long before we see a few of these supermodels on The World’s Billionaires list?” I predict not too long.
Kiri Blakeley writes about pop culture, women, and models. Follow her on Twitter.

http://blogs.forbes.com/kiriblakeley/2011/05/08/the-end-of-the-supermodel/

oops sorry for the repost, I tried to edit it out but was too late. :doh:

anyways when Gisele doesn't even need a last name anymore to be recognized, I think that alone speaks volumes. -_-

I think arguing fame is kind of silly. All girls are famous in their own right. (Adriana mostly being famous as a VS model. Almost every time I see her being mentioned in the media it is something pertaining to VS, moreso her personal life, unlike Gisele.)

I'm sure she is also more searched on google than Cindy Crawford as well but Cindy is 100% more famous than she is.

If forbe's doesn't count than why should google? Forbe's also takes into account web hits and media impact etc..and according to them Gisele is very high.

And today, pretty women who get well paid and attract legions of fans for not much more than being pretty aren’t called supermodels—they’re called the Kardashians.

:rofl: DEAD!

Anyway, I think the death of the term supermodels is brought by us, yes, byyou & me.. We killed the name because we can't accept the fact that there can be one, we deny it because were so fed up with the 90's BS. I mean, Boscono's & Poly's walks could outshine Naomi's panther-like strut, Pivovarova could challenge Linda's chameleon-like ability, Vodianova could replace Christy's classic good looks, Swanopoel is as sexy(if not sexier) than Cindy. All these old school supermodels, we could see today if we're not blinded by their shadows. Also, the media seems to be shrugging a cold-shoulder on gorgeous models just to get a glimpse Snooki's tan or Octomom's vulva. In that sense, there is no Supermodel Rebirth... & it's no one but us to blame.

OMG. I'm making no sense. :ninja:

I think if models could just simply be put on covers again (and I don't mean one Vogue cover a year) I mean every month,on Vogue covers to Glamour covers to Shape covers, models could really be mega stars again. Even Cindy said something about "we were so famous because everyone wanted to know the girl on the cover".

and its sad when the likes of Snooki and Kim K are more popular and famous than models are.

i think there have always been two kinds of supermodels: ones who had their success in modeling for fashion brands (Linda, Christy, Naomi, Kate) and ones who gained their success through modeling swimwear or lingerie brands (Christie Brinkley, Elle MacPherson, Heidi, Tyra). i think they're both "supermodels". the greatest supermodels of all time, imo, are the few who have managed to gain wide success in both fields (Cindy, Claudia, Gisele).

SO i believe that a definition of SUPERMODEL must include:

1) top achievement in your particular modeling field (whether fashion or commercial)
2) forays into other venues of popular culture (tv shows, movies, music, etc)
3) branding that moves beyond your own image (business ventures, clothing lines, fragrances, exercise videos, etc)
4) fame. people around the world need to know who you are and want to read or hear about your personal life.

with all of that being said, i also think that it needs to happen fairly quickly into your career and i confess i'm not very familiar with the newest crop of fashion darlings. i know Arizona, of course, and Karlie and the rest of that ilk, but the brand new ones, i wouldn't recognize if i ran into them in the street. so i can't really give an opinion on who will have staying power and who won't.

i DO think that if Rosie continues to do modeling work, she could very well make herself a household name and a genuine supermodel. she's got to get some more blue-chip fashion campaigns and editorials to be won over completely by the fashion world. Transformers will most certainly catapult her into the limelight, but she's gotta take this opportunity and turn it into GOLD if she wants to make a run for "supermodel" status.

the Gisele/Adriana argument is silly. Adriana Lima falls into the category of supermodel who is known for being a sex symbol. she's like Laetitia Casta in a sense. very sexy. very famous. very successful. definitely a supermodel.

but Gisele is on an entirely different level. Gisele is the only supermodel since the 90s heyday to legitimately rank AT THE TOP on all fronts. she was THE highest paid VS Angel for a number of years. she has been on more VOGUE, i-D, Elle, Harpers, etc etc covers internationally than almost any other model in history, her business ventures earn her millions of dollars. and she's incredibly famous. people want to know about her life and when she gives an interview to any publication on the planet, it gets picked up by press all around the world. yes, maybe this is because she was dating Leo DiCaprio for years and now is dating Tom Brady. well - so what?! it doesn't matter. the fact remains that people still care. she is unquestionably THE MOST successful supermodel since the year 2000, and people could easily make the argument that she's the most successful of all time. Adriana Lima might be googled more, but she's just not on the same level. and that's not a slight to Adriana, believe me! it's just that NOBODY is on Gisele's level. period.

someone had mentioned KK earlier -- and being one of her biggest fans, i will undoubtedly hold some bias towards her. but i think that between 2000-2005, she really was the only one who was headed towards Gisele in terms of being a massive supermodel. she had legitimate STAR power. but as has already been said, once she landed the multi-million dollar VS Angel contract, she got complacent for a few years and got disinterested in the fashion world -- at least as far as trying to get campaigns/editorials is concerned. and so her star was diminished and the fashion world turned their back on her. now that she's come back, she has to work twice as hard to get anything. but it's too late for her to rise to the level of Gisele. KK's opportunity for that has come and gone, i think. she didn't really strike while the iron is hot, as they say. what she CAN do now, is consistently work on re-branding herself as a fashion supermodel, and at the same time expand her brand into more tv and film ventures so as to maximize her earning potential and then she'll secure her place in the iconic fashion supermodels realm.

Adriana Lima might be googled more, but she's just not on the same level.

Actually, this is important, and it's NOT a detail that can simply be glossed over.

Why? Because the term "supermodel" is not a title that the fashion world can simply confer on someone. The big wigs in fashion can't get together, bump their heads, and point and make someone a supermodel even if they tried. In order to be a "supermodel" you have to represent something bigger and grander. You have to be a cultural sensation. You have to have fans and followers. You have to capture the public and become an icon to them. Anything less than that and you're simply in a niche. You aren't super.

It's extremely egocentric of the fashion world to proclaim that since Gisele is more successful in fashion, then she is a bigger supermodel. It's not simply about your ability to move merchandise and make money. Why is Snooki a bigger 'celebrity' than most any model even though most people wouldn't touch anything she endorses with an eleventy foot pole? Because being a celebrity implies capturing people's attention. If Gisele simply makes people go "meh" she's not a supermodel. She's simply a top model that is enormously successful and a shrewd businesswoman.

In that regard, it says a lot when Gisele, supposedly this untouchable icon in the fashion world who's wildly more successful in the fashion world than any other model, can't even muster up anywhere near the number of fans of Adriana Lima. It means Gisele lacks that star quality that makes people want to tune in.

The fashion world is very egocentric. High fashion snobbery does not begin and end on tfs....I have an article on how the fashion industry cringed when they heard Gisele was going to sign a VS contract. Almost every fashion person tried to talk her out of it and told her her career would be over if she signed.

Cindy and Claudia will always be seen as bigger Supermodels than Elle and Christie (brinkley).

As always well said HappyCanadian.

What about Miranda Kerr?
Even if she's a late bloomer she's got the makings of a Supermodel.
-VS angel/fame
-Hollywood hubby
-Her own brand
-rising popularity
-successful book

She just missing the major fashion cred.

Kate (and she's also an Icon as the others big names from the 90s), Tyra and Gisele are already Supermodels.
Heidi are near to be a Sup too.

Kate Moss is an icon of the fashion world. she's incredibly famous, as well. but the way she is practically deified is unique to high fashion. many would argue that she is the greatest fashion model of all time. and i think something like that is entirely subjective - BUT - she's had an incredible career and has probably played muse to more photographers/designers/stylists/editors, etc than anyone before or since. in my opinion, i do think that Kate is the sort of ultimate fashion supermodel. it says alot that she essentially refuses to give interviews and yet still remains a matter of public fascination nearly 20 years into her career.

to address your comment, ChanceEncounter -- i agree entirely that being a supermodel is about creating an impassioned fanbase. that's definitely part of it. and that's part of why i would argue with anybody who tried to say that Adriana isn't a supermodel. she is. i will, however, disagree with your assessment that Gisele makes people go "meh". i'm not making her out to be some sort of untouchable fashion goddess, but the general media responds much more strongly to Gisele news than it does to news of most other models (including Adriana). i mean, i do follow Gisele's career and so i would likely know much more about her than the average joe on the street .. but if you look at stories about her life -- people are fascinated. there are many stories about this big mansion she's building in california, or about her relationship with her step-son, or how she feels about abortion and condoms, or speculations about her marriage, etc etc. she's a bigger celebrity worldwide than Adriana (who, while having a dedicated and loyal fan following - doesn't garner near as much interest or gossip around her personal life).

Kate Moss is the true Supermodel in my opinion. She defied the definition of beauty, she's smaller than most models but that didn't stop her success.

Naomi's walk alone is just about as legendary as she is. :lol:

Once upon a time, Cindy Margolis was the most-searched for woman on the internet, but her online popularity was connected to the purpose the internet played to people as an easy gateway to sexual imagery, as opposed to any reflection of all-round fame and recognition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->