About Sewing Machines and Sergers for Professional Use

thenamesvint

Reaction score
So I'm the designer of a label in Atlanta, Vint By C.G. and I'm so tired of ordering pieces of apparel and then designing them, I want to start constructing my own line of garments and have a show by Winter '08. Can anyone tell me the best types of sewing machines to buy ? I go online and there are literally hundreds! Can't wait for your feedback!!

Ciao

C.G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi vint, You can try the DIY forum and ask/check around the sewing-related threads
Very helpful bunch
I'm guessing it will be a machine that will get used a lot, so industrial machines might be your best bet. But Ive heard you can get strong home machines nowadays

Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself

So I'm the designer of a label in Atlanta, Vint By C.G. and I'm so tired of ordering pieces of apparel and then designing them, I want to start constructing my own line of garments and have a show by Winter '08. Can anyone tell me the best types of sewing machines to buy ? I go online and there are literally hundreds! Can't wait for your feedback!!

Ciao

C.G.

Well, At my middle school (Im in 8th grade.), We have a lot of Singer sewing machines. Their really good if you ask me. In 6ht grade they teach you how to sew and We all make pillows. They have soccer pillows (i made it and i still have it in good condition), ice cream pillows, ipod, football, heart and more. They order new styles each year. In 7th they teach you cooking and in 8th we do cooking and sewing. In 8th we get to make pants and the Singer sewing machines are really good. So yeah,lol. try Singer sewing machines. Hope i helped! :D

I am an avid sewer and go to school for design, as my home amchine i have a husqvarna Viking, and I've never had problems with it, in terms of industrial machines, JUKI is the best, theyre awesome and get any job done.

I DO NOT recommend Singer. You have to buy really HIGH end Singer machines for it to be worth the hassle. Singer does not have the same cache that it decades ago. First, I would like to ask, what are the primary materials you're working with? You know, thw materials that you tend to use over an over, like thin cottons, or denim, etc. Second, are you planning to use tough materials, like leather, plastic or upholstery? That makes a difference. Last, what is your budget and skill level. What do you want the machine to do? These questions will help you narrow down some choices. Brands I recommend that I have had experience in are; White, Nechhi, Juki (the best in industrial machines, IMO). I cannot vouch for other ones, though I have read that Brother makes good machines too. I suggest going to Patternreview.com and check it out. They have reviews on machines CONSTANTLY. If you need a good place to go and buy with good prices, go to allbrands.com

Also, I guess this question isn't for me personally since I don't really sew, but what about surgers? I just thought it might be good to bring up in this thread. I know people who sew a lot (like the costume mistress at ballet when I did that) often have a surger too to do all the edges and for stretchy fabrics (is that what they're for? I don't even really know since i don't really sew much).

Is it good to buy a surger too? What brands are good? I just thought if someone is starting a fashion design business it might be helpful to know.:flower:

Sergers (or the industry term, merrow) machines are good to have if you're sewing alot and need a machine to quickly finish the items. I have one and it's by White, it's good for me, because I rather finish with more high end techniques, but for the quick ready to wear stuff, (jeans, knits etc) i use my serger and I love it. It's good to have when you want a professional finish to your garments.

Hey Educo..I will mainly be working with cottons and raw denim so what type of machine would you best recommend ? I don't plan on using tough materials and my skill level is fairly new, I've done some sewing before but now am getting a lot more into it. I don't really have a budget, but also dont want to drop 5-600 dollars on a machine unless its absolutely the best.

Also should I get a surger as well ? VINt By C.G. is a high end label so I'm assuming I should possibly get one ? Thanks!

Ciao

C.G.

Hey Educo..I will mainly be working with cottons and raw denim so what type of machine would you best recommend ? I don't plan on using tough materials and my skill level is fairly new, I've done some sewing before but now am getting a lot more into it. I don't really have a budget, but also dont want to drop 5-600 dollars on a machine unless its absolutely the best.

Also should I get a surger as well ? VINt By C.G. is a high end label so I'm assuming I should possibly get one ? Thanks!

Ciao

C.G.

If you don't have a budget, then get an industrial machine. It will only stitch straight but if you do plan to move on to tougher or thicker materials, it will definitely take it. You will have to get used to the speed (if you're not careful, you will lose a finger), but if you get it set to the slowest speed, then you'll be okay. If you want to present yourself as a professional, then get a serger too. Go to allbrands.com and look around.

I recommend the Juki brand for both machines.

I'll just echo the thoughts already expressed, Juki industrials are the best. I was taught and have worked with them for two years. One thing to remember though, is that they're extremely powerful, moreso than a regular home sewing machine so unless you're a really strong sewer, take it slow at first cause you can easily sew your finger. It never happened to me, but it happened plenty.

You can occasionally find Juki on ebay if your lucky.

I'll just echo the thoughts already expressed, Juki industrials are the best. I was taught and have worked with them for two years. One thing to remember though, is that they're extremely powerful, moreso than a regular home sewing machine so unless you're a really strong sewer, take it slow at first cause you can easily sew your finger. It never happened to me, but it happened plenty.

You can occasionally find Juki on ebay if your lucky.

I also have a juki industrial. I went to a fairly large fashion school here in Japan and Juki and Brother are the two that are recommended...but most people buy Juki. I opted for the Brother serger instead tho. Love the juki---sews through anything! (and like spike said, it will go through your finger if you let it!)

For your line, I'd actually recommend home machines.
Industrial machines are great and I use them myself. However, home machines offer more stitch options (home machines have different settings for different stitches, such as straight stitch, zigzag, buttonhole stitch, triple-stretch stitch (for spandex), blindstitch). When you buy an industrial machine, it's purpose is to last an extremely long time and be in constant use at high speeds, but they're usually limited to one stitch (i.e. a straight stitch industrial can't do buttonhole stitches, they have a separate buttonhole stitch machine that you'd have to buy). Industrials are great for mass production and tailoring rooms (I used to do alterations and tailoring), but aren't good for a start-up business where you're dealing with one-off styles. Plus, the high speeds make you prone to accidents (I've been sewing on home machines and industrials and I've never had an accident with a home machine and have had accidents with industrials--got my fingers trapped between the belt and the wheel which hurts incredibly).
Also, home machines are sold with a lot of different feet (as opposed to an industrial machine where you have to order the different feet separately in many cases). Plus, more people know about home machines, so if you have a question, it's easier to find a quick answer. And, most sewing books are written for home machines. Moreover, you can find replacement parts for home machines at your local fabric store, they generally don't carry replacement parts for industrial machines. Furthermore, it's easy to pick up and move a home machine, industrial machines come mounted to a table, with a separate motor, so they're hard to move around (so you'll need the repair shop to come to you, rather than you toting your machine to them, thus more expense).
I'd say once you're experienced on a home machine, then you should consider an industrial.
Here are my recommendations: Home-Kenmore (Bernina is also good), Industrial-Juki.
A Serger is a machine that finishes off the raw edges. A home machine has stitches to finish off the edges, but they look very sloppy, so I do recommend going ahead and purchasing a serger (sometimes called overlock machine). I would not sew the clothes with a serger, as those stitches aren't really designed for seam stability, plus the seam allowance would be way too small (you need a decent seam allowance in order for the clothes to be altered, because more people than you think get alterations done to their clothes, especially high end clothes). You'll need to remember, you use a lot of thread in a serger, so make sure to budget thread money for this machine (look for sales on serger thread)
A serger and a home machine would easily work within your budget.

hello!, i am new here,
but i read through all this, but i am still confused which kind of sewing machine i should still get, i have took a sewing class in 7th grade, but i have forgotten how to sew.

what brand would you recommend me, and if so what type too.
sorry for the many questions!

at my school we use Husqvarna sewing machines and the sergers I don't know what brand they are, but the sewing machines are awesome they are easy to use and do just about everything needed!

i came to say a juki industrial machine but it seems to be getting rave reviewsa already. :P

i've been using ours since i was a kid (to make clothes for my dolls) and it still works like a charm; it's definitely worth the money 'cos it'll last a long time (ours is about twenty years old). totally agree to take it slow at first though; you'll either sew your finger, as mentioned, or sew a crooked line, either of which would be a pain to remove...

oh, sorry one more question,
how much is the juki, and where could i get it?
lol that was two questions, but you get the point :D

hello!, i am new here,
but i read through all this, but i am still confused which kind of sewing machine i should still get, i have took a sewing class in 7th grade, but i have forgotten how to sew.

what brand would you recommend me, and if so what type too.
sorry for the many questions!

Welcome to tFS!

I can't advise you an sewing machines or brands of machines that might work best for you. But I'd like to point out that most of these machines named here are high end pro machines that do a lot of fancy stuff ... since a lot of our members and fashion design students or aspiring designers. If you can't sew much and you aren't planning a career of it, I'd suggest that you start with a very basic machine that you might get at Sears or something ... and save yourself a lot of money. I'm afraid that is all I can offer .... :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
For your line, I'd actually recommend home machines...

+1 on every single point you brought up. While the danger of the big Juki's was appealing to me at school, being bent over one while hungover was never a good idea. :ninja:

Never settle for less than a 25 year warranty on a machine too, that's the true sign of quality there, no matter what you buy.

at my school we use Husqvarna sewing machines...

I'll be honest, I was attracted to Husqvarna's only because they make one hell of a dirt bike.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

Bernina's are good too, I can't believe how solid they are. In class we were handing out beat downs like it was Christmas and they still worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gal4dior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->