Advice on looking less 'cute'?

Reaction score
Hi!

I have always dressed really 'cute' and vintage... always like a sailor (I've loved nautical for years and years), or very French, or Victorian with lots of lace and smock dresses. I've always bought anything with a peter pan collar or bows, worn ribbons in my hair, cutesy floral prints, Mary Jane shoes, vintage dresses and kitsch t shirts from lazyoaf.com.

I'm getting kind of sick of it now (especially as that style is ALL over the high street) and feel like I would like to update my style a little, and dress a little more maturely - but have no idea how? I used to live in ballet flats but have bought a few nice pairs of court shoes, and have a gorgeous pair of sand coloured peg leg chinos on their way to me. I'm trying to just buy really good jersey basics like a slouchy grey marl tee, loose blazers - I've also picked up a couple of pencil skirts/dresses for work.

I really love Alexa Chung and have been following/copying her for years, but I can't really dress like that for work and would like to look a little more Audrey/Jane Birkin. I love shops such as French Connection, Reiss and Warehouse, the kind of classy style that looks elegant and chic. You know the kind of clothes you see under the headline "loose tailoring"? No idea how to achieve it as I ALWAYS end up looking kiddy - I wore my new grey pencil shift dress with a nude blouse underneath (it had a peter pan collar) and someone in work said "you look like you're in school uniform" :angry:

Any advice on where to shop/how to put things together? Thanks! :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Express has nice clothes.I'm in my early 20's and go there to look more professional for my job. They are feminine but not boring.

Also go for clothes that are a little bit more bold but still mature looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if you pair the feminine pieces with something a little mature or something edgier, it might work for you. I wear a lot of feminine clothes, blouses with high necks, ruffles, lace, florals but I never feel too "cute". Maybe if you just try to wear one overly "cute" or feminine piece with a basic outfit, it might take that overdone feel away from it? I tend to wear my most feminine blouses with tight pencil skirts and heels (I wear ballet flats a lot too) or with dark denim straight leg jeans and flats.

the direction you're heading in sounds good, jackets etc.
In pulling off more girly styles, the individual's features and physique make a huge difference, and hair, makeup, accessories can really make or break.
What works for a boyish androgynous type will not work for softer, babyfaced girls, who may need sleeker, darker hair, black eyeliner, or strong & masculine accessories, for example, to counterbalance. Pirate boots, biker boots, leather, military, men's watches, you get the idea.
Also, limit yourself to one or two girly items per outfit. HTH

I agree with Belowen and Melisande. As someone who used to only wear vintage I understand. Sometimes you can get a bit carried away Pick an interesting statement piece: a lacy blouse, etc. and pair it with a tailored pant or skirt with classic shoes. Peg leg trousers are a must (simple black ones are very Audrey). Buy a nice white blouse too. It's always a good thing to have in your wardrobe. Try Asos.com

I think Belowen's idea is good.

I have a couple of really ruffly, cutesy tops-but I wear them with really tight dark jeans and a slim blazer to make it seem a bit edgier. Like the others said, try to just take 1 girly piece and pair it with more fitted or basic pieces.

Darker colors always work too :smile: (But then, I'm a self-proclaimed black addict so I might be a bit biased-black is my "easy out" when it comes to dressing).

You could always try taking one of your vintage "cute" peices, such as a lace top, and then make it look more grown up by pairing it with dark jeans (skinny's perhaps?) and a pair of killer heels. Keep the rest of your look simple and natural makeup as well. Sometimes I think a simple makeup look keeps you from looking to "cute," if you know what I mean. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->