Alber Elbaz, Creative Director at Lanvin

I met him a while ago and he is soooo cute! He is taller than I thought...maybe 5 foot 6 or 5 foot 7 (still short but I thought he was shorter)...and he has some gray hair so he must dye it for the shows :lol: I told him that he was my favorite designer and he was so excited :rofl:
I met him, too! I talked to him at the Lanvin FW 08 trunk show at Barney's in Beverly Hills. I talked to him for a good 10-15 minutes and he was so amazing. He's a bit distant, yet personable, very eloquent and so smart. He just seemed very normal and level-headed.:D I think he's amazing. He and I talked about design and how I wanted to pursue fashion design. He asked me about what inspires me and I said history and world cultures. Alber said he sees so many young designers who are "too vintage." He also asked me if I listened to music when I sketched, and I replied by saying that I listen to one song on repeat the whole time...he said "try, all of a sudden, changing the song to something completely different and see what comes out of it." Those two little pieces of advice have really influenced how I design now.

Thanks for all the articles, guys!!!

I saw this short "interview" with him in it recently, and couldn't really find an appropriate place to share it on. (Why isn't there a thread dedicated entirely to him?... Or is there?)
Anyway, it's on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52OLKy1WPk

He's so cute :D

Thanks for posting that clip, cecil. The botox part makes me laugh everytime I see it. :lol:

Scanned by me, from Vogue Australia March 2010

:heart:

Before the Lanvin spring/summer 2011 pre-collection presentation commenced yesterday, creative director Alber Elbaz told his audience that this past Saturday was his birthday. “It was the most pathetic birthday I have ever had,” he confessed. “I was flying from Paris to New York by myself, and the only person who I celebrated with was a stewardess in the Air France lounge who brought me a little muffin with a candle on it and then sang to me.”

When Elbaz arrived at the Mercer on Saturday night — tired, jet-lagged, and without dinner plans — he discovered that the hotel staff had left him a cake, which he found very touching, until he dropped the thing on the carpet by accident. “I started to taste and pick at it, and then I thought about how dangerous it was because I will never fit into my pants the day after," he mused. "So I just tried to move it somewhere so that it was out of my eye line. But then the whole cake fell on the floor, and I was so embarrassed to call the room service about it that I cleaned it all by myself.”

Ruined cake aside, Elbaz was so at ease before his presentation that he milled around and greeted guests with joyful pecks on both cheeks. “I hope nobody has a cold. I am giving everyone kisses!” he giggled adorably. Spectators took their seats on a few dozen white upholstered chairs pulled higgledy-piggledy around a small stage and waited expectantly. Only, someone was late — and Elbaz wouldn’t start without her.

“We are waiting for one more person. She is almost here,” he announced. We were hoping it was someone super-famous who would whirl through the doors with diva-esque self-importance, but when a high-heeled woman in a headscarf and sunglasses breezed in and took her seat, no one seemed to know who she was. The tardy woman in question turned out to be Melody Gardot, a jazz singer and friend of Elbaz’s whose songs were featured in the presentation.

As he has done in the past, Elbaz narrated his collection, explaining each outfit as it was modeled in front of the audience (and very politely thanking each model when she exited the stage). This season’s looks featured a number of pieces that could be reversed or adjusted to transform into totally different looks (see video footage here). Elbaz restyled the clothes himself in front of the audience, turning jackets inside-out or peeling off removable layers. In several cases he tugged a skirt hem down to the model’s knees and then pushed it back up her thighs like an accordion to demonstrate how the length could be adjusted. “See, there is a day version and an evening version,” he said. “Clean … and then dirty!” Standing next to the model, he grinned humbly and looked up at her shoulders. “Now you can really see how tall she is and how short I am!”

At the show’s conclusion, Elbaz opened his hands and proclaimed, “That’s it!” Then, something magical happened: The audience spontaneously broke into a rendition of “Happy Birthday,” followed by applause. Elbaz blushed and bowed and thanked everyone.

“You don’t see a group of editors singing to you like that every day,” he said afterward. “It’s not just about collections or selling and buying, or style numbers or magazine covers. It’s about people, it’s about humans, it’s about faces and love and hate and good and bad. That’s what the presentation is all about.” Personal relationships are why he prefers to do as many presentations in as many different cities as possible, even if it means flying across the Atlantic on his birthday. “Last year I decided not to do [a presentation] in France, because, you know, everybody has Internet these days, so why bother? And they said, no, it’s not just about a couture dress, it’s about seeing each other and being there. It makes you realize that it’s more than just sitting in front of a screen. I think that maybe we’re too much face-to-face with the screen that we turn our backs on humanity. So, I’m all about turning towards humanity.”

While at the presentation, we also cornered Julie Gilhart, fashion director of Barneys New York. Her take on the transformational collection? "Alber really thinks about a day in the life of a woman, a real woman. There’s nothing fantasy here that he’s imagining a woman to be. He thinks about how women are, and how he can make them feel like their fantasy. He makes fantasy clothes that fit into our basic lifestyle." But does she still think he's the greatest living designer? "Still. Number one," she said. "He works 365 days a year, and he cares. There’s a lot of good designers out there, but I think when you stack up all the different things, he excels. It’s like the scorecards at the Olympics where they hold up all the numbers in each category. He gets 6.0s in every category."
nymag

I just open a thread for Elie Top,the jewelry designer who works with Alber.Does anybody know whether he designed the jewelry for 2010 Spring/Summer collection?Sorry I don't know where to post this question.....

Does this sound like Alber Elbaz to you?

It's a teaser for the next designer collaboration with H&M and to me it sounds very much like Alber Elbaz for Lanvin and WWD has announced that they will be collaborating.

It's a shame IMO. Lanvin is for me such a high-class brand like Chanel or Hermès. I wish it didn't work with a fast-fashion brand like H&M :(

^Just wondering why you wouldn't want him to collaborate with H&M? Should beautiful designer clothes not be available to people that can't afford his designs normally? Or do you fear girls around you that don't even know who Alber is will end up wearing his H&M collection just because of the hype?

I for one am super excited about the collection. And luckily most of these UGG boots/Ed Hardy tee/Longchamp bag kind of girls wouldn't bother getting at 5am to be the first in line for this collection I assume, so I hope you won't see people on every corner wearing it.

I am among the people who can't afford Lanvin, and I'm fine with that. I guess it's more about people wearing it for the hype I'm concerned about, because I see Lanvin as a brand that has to be deserved.

IMO some H&M collaborations worked because they were complementary. For example, Viktor & Rolf were a young brand that wanted more recognition and press. Sonia Rykiel is very popular in France so it wasn't surprising from her part.

Again, I see Lanvin as a high-class brand so from my personal perspective, it will diminish its aura to be sold at H&M. And they usually have an elitist positioning, so I'm quite confused about that as well.

I see. But there are obviously still privileges if you get a real Lanvin item rather than one from H&M collection. The quality and exclusivity of a real designer item doesn't translate to any of all these Target and H&M designer collaborations. The collaborations in a way aren't much different from all the knock offs that are produced by high street brands except that you'll get something the designer approves of being sold in their stores.
I see so many people wearing Zara clothes that are identical to designer items yet the people only wear them because they're trendy not because they appreaciate Isabel Marant's or Marc Jacob's original design, they'll never even know they're wearing a designer knock off. That's pretty much the same situation there to me.

The important thing to remember is that Lanvin for H&M is not Lanvin. You get a bit of the Lanvin dream--his design ideas--but you also get stock fabric and [probably China's] lack of quality control.

Elbaz is correct in saying that it's more H&M going "luxury" than him going commercial. I'm anxiously awaiting what the collection will be. I, for one, think these collaborations are great. Yet, I don't fool myself into thinking I own Lanvin (yet).

Elbaz is correct in saying that it's more H&M going "luxury" than him going commercial.

I found him saying that kind of disappointing. People are not going to buy this collection because it's H&M going luxury (H&M could do that without the help of another designer). Of course consumers are going to buy it because it bears the brand name Lanvin and it's made more accessible to them.

^thank you for the link!the man is so charming and inspiring :wub: ...and funny!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a million for the link~

I ADORE Alber! Gosh, he's soooo cute:heart:

I was just watching the day before: Lanvin and he's so awesome. He's always laughing and has a great sense of humor. He seems like someone nice to work for, he's passionate, understanding, the people that work for him are like family. and he's a genius. I love ALBER!

July 23, 2012
Fashion Talks: Alber Elbaz
By Katya Foreman

Lanvin has already made an uberchic mark on the handbag industry, but now creative director Alber Elbaz has plans to place an even bigger focus on the category. WWD had a quick chat with him about what’s in store.

WWD: Are you becoming more involved in the design of Lanvin’s handbags?
Alber Elbaz: I’m involved in everything, but I have to sometimes be involved in everything more. I hate to refer to myself as a control freak, but I think that, somehow, when we work, no matter what we do — whether it is music or architecture or being a secretary — you have to be in the kitchen, you have to make it happen. I think that our industry is really moving into a handbag industry, somehow. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but this is the situation.

WWD: How long has that been the case?
Elbaz: It’s one of those things that you just feel. You go to a department store and you see that the size of the handbag department is the size of America. About 10 years ago it was all about the “It” bag, then it went to fashion again, then it went to the importance of shoes, then back to the importance of the bag. Eleven years ago, it was about top models; it wasn’t about the clothes but about who was wearing what. So even fashion has fashions.

WWD: What can we expect from Lanvin’s new handbags?
Elbaz: I was thinking about what kind of bags women and men need, and it’s always a mix between reality and fantasy. On one hand, we’re always into finding solutions for people’s needs — they really need a big bag because they have to carry their life in it. The next second you say, “Maybe they need just a little clutch because all people have today is an iPhone.” Small and big, it’s all about extremes, contradictions. You have on one hand a backpack and on the other, a clutch.

WWD: What can you tell us about your spring ready-to-wear collection?
Elbaz: You know I can’t talk about that. I’m superstitious.
wwd.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->