Alexander Mcqueen S/S 04 Paris

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
:woot: An amazing idea from Alexander McQueen, to celebrate his new collection with a dance performance and dreemy looks.

you may agree, one of the very best moments of the season :heart:

well, he could do without the anti-climax at the end of the performance, but .. i guess its true, nobody's perfect.

from style.com

His show—staged in the Salle Wagram, a nineteenth-century Parisian dance hall—was an exuberantly hilarious reenactment of Sydney Pollack's Depression-era film They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Choreographed by Michael Clark over two weeks of intensive rehearsals in London, the narrative involved dancers, models, and audience in a visceral celebration of exquisitely glamorous clothes.
In the opening scene, the girls entered—dancing for all they were worth on the arms of muscle-bound sailors and hunky hopefuls—dressed in fishtailed silver lamé, figure-hugging cha-cha dresses, and show-stopping gowns with spangled bodices and huge feathered skirts. Other competitors whirled on wearing pink corseted tulle tutus over gray ballet sweats; mint satin tap-suits; or a slinky confection of gray checkerboard chiffon. A Billie Holiday look-alike, dramatically vamping in pink charmeuse and ostrich, vied for attention as flashy bodysuited showgirls were energetically twirled aloft by their partners.

McQueen's signatures—elaborately pieced tailoring (now beautifully softened with delicate inserts of lingerie) and body-hugging denims spliced onto nude tulle—also did star turns. The pace picked up even further in the elimination race, in which morphed-together fluorescent chiffons and sports pieces ran hell-for-leather (on impossibly high heels) in a hotly contested dash around the room.

There was even an opening for daywear. Blue-collar marathon survivors staggered out wearing plaid shirts, coats, and skirts made from quilts and recycled patchworks of shirting material, all crafted to the McQueen sex-bomb template. The show reached its climax as a lone exhausted dancer in a silver sequined gown mock-expired center stage. As she was carried off by the designer and his choreographer, thunderous applause rocked the hall.

I need to see this whole collection but from these pics I think I'll like it very much... maybe it will be one of my favourite of this season :D

Generally, I like it. :woot:

Not McQueen at his very best, but great ideas in cut and tailoring were made.

Love majority of these dresses, that will be everywhere among the social set. :wink:

It sounds fascinating! I would have enjoyed seeing that.

veyr good!, not whta i was expectinga t all, soem evry ncie stroung pieces and looks, some nto so much

wow :heart: there is always stength / fragility in his collections, alwys so strong! i adore the touches of fluo and those boots :o
i love the dress on the far left B)
100118803.jpg

I think this is wonderful! :woot: Cannot wait to see the video (if there is one) :huh:

I was just gonna say i hope there is a video because i would like to see. I really enjoy this. I've grown to like McQueen more and more.

Originally posted by contessacolette@Oct 11th, 2003 - 3:29 pm
i don't really like the collection, but i love the theatrics
I don't know whether I like the collection or not because I haven't really seen enough of it but I too LOVE the theatrics. That's what I'd be interested in seeing. :woot:

I really want to see Karen Elson dance. She always appeared stiff to me :huh:

i am very confused about my feelings towards this collection.

when i first saw the dance #'s on the models... my immediate thought that this was a fashion telling of my favorite jane fonda film of all time: they shoot horses? , don't they... and well... i went to the review... and that is exactly what it is!!!

but, my god!

i hate hate hate the presentation. it is very cheesy. i think that this is not theatrical at all. it is ridiculous and forced. and silly.

that being said... on to the clothes.

from what i could see clearly... i loved the dresses... the evening wear... some of the pants... the coats... and one of the grey suits... but i hated the spandex roller derby section.

i think that i am just really confused by this collection/the presentation as a whole. i couldn't even concentrate on the clothing... and the film that mcqueen referenced doesn't work as a fashion show... it seemed like someone was trying too much.

it's meant to be silly and ironic, and they orchestrated it that way on purpose. the fact that the cast of models, etc. is a bit carnivalesque....

so does anybody know where i can get a video of this show? maybe i can watch it on the style network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->