Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2009

Bengt

Reaction score
Dickensian London is a rich theme for Alexander McQueen. “I was thinking with a 19th-century head on,” he said of designing his pre-fall collection. And since aristocratic women of that era changed clothes up to five times a day, McQueen produced a bounty of options for all hours, from hunting looks for day to grand fishtail gowns for evening. Accessories included a bowler hat and walking sticks.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg

wwd

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...I like it a lot. It's basically his menswear collection, but for women (and for some reason, it works out a whole lot better).

HOWEVER...I dislike all the gowns. I don't really like all the volume in the skirts of the first crimson dress or the black one, either (they would have looked much better if they were slim all the way down to the hem, because the tops of both look great), and I don't really care for the printed gown much.

The suits (and skirt suits, too), on the other hand, are incredible and I totally love the last cocktail dress with the red floral brocade.

On a side note, though...didn't McQueen say he was kind of done with historical collections (in that W article a few months back)?...not that I'm complaining really, but it's kind of silly of him to say that only to go on to produce these gothic, Victorian collections!

Yes, I see the Menswear reference there, too. And it's very interesting!

am i the only one that isn't seeing these wwd pics?

i wouldn't necessarily tag this as a gothic collection. he's done a lot darker,more macabre things. its very heavy and dramatic though. to me this is very much that early 19th Cent. english country-side aristocrat with an adventurous twist.

this is something that he does so well...he's been using these historical elements since he began so one can hardly expect him to abandon that all together. however,i do wish he were as experimental with the elements as he was a few years ago. A/W 06?? that one is a great example. while utterly beautiful,lately,it does sometimes tend to lean toward the more literal side of things. which is something i think he did differently in the menswear.

^^I meant gothic in the more traditional, historical sense.

And I agree with you totally about FW 06...while I do like this collection, it is a little heavy handed and worked. I wish he could capture that same effortlessness that was so captivating in the FW 06 collection.

That about the direct references from the menswear.

and it worked out equally good!!

Every single look is strong. Be it the blazers, or the gowns, or the jockey pants. AMAZING! Great styling too! With the top hats, canes and gloves.

Oh god, first lacroix, and now this! just when I thought Pre-fall's getting bleh... :D:D:D

Even though I think the bowler hats and head wraps are fun, I actually would have preferred the looks styled with a hairdo like the ones from his SS 06 collection -
00230m.jpg

I think it would have given the collection a more contemporary edge...plus, I can totally see the last black dress and the olive suit with the fur collar looking totally stunning with a more sleek, sexy hairstyle, like the one pictured.
(style)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it!!! Speically the 4th shot, with the wooly green (jumper?).

Also No. 7, i dont know how the coat stays that way, but i like its asymmetrical cut off down the bottom.

McQueen's on a role. I'm really pleased with this. Kind of cheeky to put two ballgowns in a precollection, though, for better or worse.

And is it just me, or does the suiting look suspiciously like Galliano's in the Dior collection with the Mata Hari dress? I don't know which season it was, but there are definitely some similarities.

...if only those hats would disappear.

amazing.

but does that beautiful shearling jacket (the collar!) need that hideous flower embroidery. yuck!:lol:

I adore it! it's feminine and structured at the same time.
I'm more drawn to his colors.. they blend in so harmoniously.

O gosh, it's great! That's McQueen that I love! :heart:

the NO.6 reminds me of the dress he made for Bjork,,the one she wore on a record's cover..anyway..it's magnificent for pre-fall

I love that black gown and the fact that he incorporated the brocade from menswear ( or did this happen the other way around...?) The third jacket is just terrible. It looks like it's from a holiday collection at Sears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zr90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->