All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

You have to have a lot of knowledge of what products you have in the store and what looks good together, that's the technique of adding on and bringing in more sales. Also recognize what style the customer has and always be NICE!

i have worked in retail for almost four years. i have two majors and graduate in a year. i am so sick of my jobs.

does anyone know how i break into working at a high end store? i don't want to work at saks or neimans, i want to work at a small boutique type place. i am great with clients and even have some who refuse to shop if i'm not working. i know A LOT about fashion/styling and i'd rather put my knowledge to good use with people who appreciate/know beautiful things, while getting paid for the type of service i provide.

i worked at gap for a LONG time, later moving to victoria's secret (working both places) and now i'm at banana republic and still at vic's. my current store manager is trying to talk me into going to 4th and towne (the new gap brand) in the fall with her, but i still would not get paid on comission, which is what i am looking for. i am too good at what i do, and know too much about fashion to be rotting in these retail places.

do i simply turn in a resume? should i call first? i've never been intimidated of anything in my life, but i'm so nervous about applying at these places. i'm positive i can do it, but i just am having trouble approaching it. any help would make me your slave for life. thanks.

Just approach it seriously and professionally as you would a real job. You should have a great resume. Dress the style that they hire and call to inquire about your resume after you've dropped it off a day before with the manager

should i do a cover letter that explains why i fit the job? obviously, i have a lot of experience, but working at gap is worlds apart from a tiny shop that stocks rochas and chloe, which is what i'm aiming for.

i figure if i get the boot, i'll just opt for lame places. we have kitson-type boutiques, saks and neimans, and i'm sure i could get in any of those places, but this little shop in particular would be a dream come true.

Yes do a cover letter, its an extra boost to show them you are very intelligent, which gives you points

Ok I'm curious how much discounts that people working at these stores get

Bebe
Arden B
BCBG Max Azria
Zara

Is anyone a SA there?

Wow only 30%? Totally not worth it. I heard around the grapevine that it was 40%

i'm not sure if this belongs here but let's try..

i want to apply to this sort of high-end store (well it's selling little bit more expensive clothes than h&m or other that sort of brands.). it's only a summerjob so they reguire little experience. well i have only expercience selling ice-cream and candy and this sort of thing so i don't know how to built my resume/application.. i would appreciate any hints from those who have worked as SA and others as well :flower:

hello, does anyone know how to get a position at chanel? or where to ask for it, 'cause i have tried evrything. nothing though. thanks.

Good quastion, but im not sure how to get a job at Chanel.But would love to know too.Or any other fashion house?

My friend at st martins applied once. They told her, not so politley in french, never contact them again!

just do a regular resume, obviously with your objective being that you're looking to work in retail.

after that, probaly do a cover letter, which should be directed towards the person who does the hiring (call around and get a name). in the letter simply explain why you're right for the job and at the end, always say something like, "i look foward to hearing from you." after you close the letter, throw in your phone number and email address again, just so its easier for them to get ahold of you (it should already be on your resume, but still).

i applied for a job and got an interview last week, and it was AWFUL. the position was for a personal assistant/assistant buyer (that's what the ad said) and the woman i had emailed my resume/cover letter to (the woman who would be my boss) was not even THERE! instead, some hokey sales girl interviewed me and basically the job was going to be to be over the sales girls, while attempting to keep this woman's schedule on track with vendors, clients, etc. the girl interviewing me was SO unprofessional, it made me want to barf. the woman is supposed to get back into town late this week and call me. whatevz. i really have no desire to work with them.

Hi :-)
If i were you, i'd go into a Chanel shop and ask within. Dress smartly, be well spoken and polite and just ask one of the girls (go for the one who looks your age).

There was an article in British Vogue last month about people who worked for high class fashion labels like Chanel and most of them could speak fluently more than one other language, were HIGHLY educated and had worked in another (slightly lower but still elite) label before... by all accounts it extremely difficult to just go and work for Chanel.

You didn't actually say wat sort of job you'd love... do you wanna be a shop assistant? On the make-up counter? In their head office? Designing? What?!

^ correct. The likes of Chanel "calls" you not you calling them. And fact working for their corporate office you do require a background from top universities. Extremely highly educated. Looking chic won't cut it.

A friend of my best friend got an internship w/Chanel in NYC this summer...she did internships at Fred Segal in LA previously which she got thorugh a connection. I would say you need to network your way in...and that wont be easy. Good Luck.

I have spent the past 3 years in retail (on and off). I have a very good record at JC Penney in the shoe department (base hourly pay slightly over minimum wage + 3-5% commission on each pair you sell. the store discount is 20% but I hardly ever buy anything though they do have pretty nice house stuff) but the job basically sucks. I'm sick of dealing with gross people and screaming kids and a huge department store. I want to work in a small, less hectic and more personal setting.

I just graduated with a degree in Digital Media and would actually like to get into web design at some point, but fashion is my other great love and I can see myself having a temporary (or maybe long-term, if it's PT) retail job.

Anyway, my question is...do you think that based on my sales experience, albeit in a low class store...I would have a chance at getting more of a boutique/high end job? I don't want to inquire at jimmy choo and have them laugh at me, you know?

has anyone ever worked at victoria's secret? Please PM me if you have...i need advice for my interview tommorow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->