All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

Hey guys!

I'm interested in moving up the retail ladder. I worked at Ross over the summer, I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but it's basically kind of a low end Macy's. I'm ready to move on to bigger and better stores (Zara, Steve Madden, BCBG Max Azria, etc.). My question is since I only have a summer of retail experience and experience as a fashion intern how can I make my resume look better? I think I've got the look just not the experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated guys!

a lot of stores will go off looks more so than experience. depends. just apply regardless, and follow up with phone calls. i know what ross is. hehe.

I think I've got the look just not the experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated guys!
I just got hired by JCREW and I had zero retail experience- I had customer service and some minimal sales exp but not in the apparel industry. They really value havings associates who are passionate about the clothing- I raved about the brand's aesthetic in my interview and it seems my enthusiasm made up for the lack of experience. Make sure to place follow-up calls- I was very persistant because sometimes they can get disorganized during the hiring process

i wish i could too! ah! my job gets a lot of the same things albeit watered down.

It's all about looks unfortunately. I think I'm good-looking, take care of myself, I have never worked high-end retail but I know what I'd be selling...I went into Neiman Marcus and its all old women and the only guy I saw in Cosmetics was overweight, nothing against him because of that, but it's just too much competition. I feel like giving up. I'm utterly hopeless at getting a job, maybe I set myself up for failure, but I think I'm doomed to be penniless. I should just move to South America or become a street person. :(

i'm sorry. things will work themselves out. = ) promise!

Hey guys!

I'm interested in moving up the retail ladder. I worked at Ross over the summer, I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but it's basically kind of a low end Macy's. I'm ready to move on to bigger and better stores (Zara, Steve Madden, BCBG Max Azria, etc.). My question is since I only have a summer of retail experience and experience as a fashion intern how can I make my resume look better? I think I've got the look just not the experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated guys!

Don't work at Zara!

i don't know if it is the same style of interview as the US branch. I really just wore whatever like most of the applicants. Don't dress slobby is all I can say. BetteT is pretty much on point, don't pop in with a suit or bring your electric guitar to the interview.

I sent my resume and application in online, and got a reply really quickly too - although it was for a job fair. I'm still waiting for a call back :(

I've got a job interview with Urban Outfitters on Wednesday and was wondering if anyone can advise me what to wear?
Thanks.

by the way, the got back to me really quickly! sent my application on Thursday laaate night and got a ring from them on the next day!

What did you end up wearing

has anyone ever worked at american apparel? i have a job interview there tomorrow and i just wanna know what to expect.

to be honest, i didn't think i'd get an interview. i mean i can dress the part, but i don't exactly look the part.

^ I've never worked at american apparel but I heard that the job sucks. It probably does because they have such high turnover.

But you'll get free clothes out of it!

In the end, out of Dior, Gucci and Prada. I chose Prada. I am in Miu Miu right now, and happier than ever...

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of advice here. Right now, I work as an 'eyewear consultant' aka sale associate at Lenscrafters and I'm not happy. I'm unhappy with the management (I can't go into detail) and the hour and a half travel I have to do by bus to get there. I'm hoping to get a new job by February/March, or if I can get one mid-January that would be even better. I've been working there for a year now, so I have about 1 year retail experience. Here is my problem: I want somewhere close to home, but I also would like to work high-end retail. Where I live (30 min. outside of Toronto by car) there are NO high-end stores. I'm still in college, although I'll be graduating and taking a year off before I go to university, so I'll be completely available when May comes around. Would it be worth it to apply to high-end stores in downtown Toronto although it would be a journey, or should I work at smaller stores in my city instead?

Ultimately, I want to work at Holt Renfrew, but you need at 3 years retail experience and they take in account where you work, but I REFUSE to stay at Lenscrafters any longer. Any stores I could try that would look good on my resume?

Thanks in advance!

I would LOVE to work for Opening Ceremony. Too bad it is on the other side of the world to me!

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of advice here. Right now, I work as an 'eyewear consultant' aka sale associate at Lenscrafters and I'm not happy. I'm unhappy with the management (I can't go into detail) and the hour and a half travel I have to do by bus to get there. I'm hoping to get a new job by February/March, or if I can get one mid-January that would be even better. I've been working there for a year now, so I have about 1 year retail experience. Here is my problem: I want somewhere close to home, but I also would like to work high-end retail. Where I live (30 min. outside of Toronto by car) there are NO high-end stores. I'm still in college, although I'll be graduating and taking a year off before I go to university, so I'll be completely available when May comes around. Would it be worth it to apply to high-end stores in downtown Toronto although it would be a journey, or should I work at smaller stores in my city instead?

Ultimately, I want to work at Holt Renfrew, but you need at 3 years retail experience and they take in account where you work, but I REFUSE to stay at Lenscrafters any longer. Any stores I could try that would look good on my resume?

Thanks in advance!

I can't address what stores might work for you ... I"m in L.A.

But I can add that if your goal it to eventually work for Holt Renfrew I would suggest that you try to get in a shop or store that sells clothes and/or other types of accessories instead of eyewear, just to branch out more and to get experience in the type of merchandise that HR sells.

Also ... if HR pays commissions or even if they don't, my guess is that they will be looking for someone who can actually sell better than the next person (not just a friendly face who is nice to customers). Look for a similar job that also pays commissions and/or tracks your sales. If you rack up a good record and exceed the goals of your next employer and you can proove it, I would think the HR would love to have you when the time comes. I don't think that where you work is as important as just having experience in similar goods and having a good sales record.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't address what stores might work for you ... I"m in L.A.

But I can add that if your goal it to eventually work for Holt Renfrew I would suggest that you try to get in a shop or store that sells clothes and/or other types of accessories instead of eyewear, just to branch out more and to get experience in the type of merchandise that HR sells.

Also ... if HR pays commissions or even if they don't, my guess is that they will be looking for someone who can actually sell better than the next person (not just a friendly face who is nice to customers). Look for a similar job that also pays commissions and/or tracks your sales. If you rack up a good record and exceed the goals of your next employer and you can proove it, I would think the HR would love to have you when the time comes. I don't think that where you work is as important as just having experience in similar goods and having a good sales record.

Thanks, BetteT!

My current job does work on commission and my sales are good, although there have been a few rough spots (during the summer, it's dead). I was thinking of applying to a few jewelry stores at my local mall and then a clothing boutique. I'm a bit intimidated to apply at the jewelry counters because I notice the employees are middle aged, so they may not take me seriously. I'll give it a shot!

I want to get out to UO hole i'm in. Want to obviously move up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreagmanili
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->