Amy Winehouse's shocking MTV performance

Don't performers always use awards shows to change up their songs?
To me it just sounds like her version of the way Christina or Mariah's warble needlessly around a note..

kmccormi, thanks for the link!

Well not really shocking. That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from her though. She didn't even hit some of the notes!! Really bad performance.

^ Yes, she does do that 'warbling' a lot, and in performances she doesn't really enunciate well, she slurs her words. But thats not from youknowwhat, its kind of her style. She made a special from MTV earlier this summer with Mos Def, and she does the same thing but she was clearly singing well.

She made a special from MTV earlier this summer with Mos Def, and she does the same thing but she was clearly singing well.

Wait... Amy played with Mos Def?... I love him!!!
How did I miss that?...
It must have been while I didn't have cable.:cry:

^Yes, they did a song together; back to black? I 'm not sure he rapped over it halfway through. It was really nice. Mos Def was the 'host' or MC or whatever.

I think it was called "Amy Winehouse at 54th something hosted by Mos Def"...not sure.

^^^
they always try to save the day, they should probably get an award too!

Was it really as bad as the article makes it seem? When Britney had her bad day for MTV, I could tell but it wasn't half as bad as the papers made it seem and I was prepared for much worse when I actually went to watch it.:rolleyes:

edit: I meant VMA:rolleyes:

I don't think it is bad. It' just Amy's style.:flower:

It's not her style...I've been listening to her since 2004 and watched her eagerly, before she even got picked up by Perez Hilton. She may have funny pronounciation for some of her words which almost sound slurred, but usually she sounds quite sharp. This felt undynamic, the whole thing was muddy, there was no life in this performance. It was horrible. Amy is a brilliant singer. This was average. But I wouldn't say shocking.

Edit: I watched the rest of it, it gets worse and worse. I couldn't understand anything she was saying. She was stumbling around on stage and her eyes were flicking around. Sometimes she moved away too much from the microphone and she went out of range.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FjHQV-SuqNE See look at this, back in '03, her voice not as developed as it would become. But still, while she has her signature drawl, her words are very distinct and she hits those notes perfectly.

More recent one, Rehab. As you can see, her voice has tightened up a lot and she still has the drawl but she's able to play more freely with notes, altogether a tighter sound.

Compare that to that horrible recent performance, it's not the same talented girl. She's missing.

Argh it's embedding my video, I didn't want it to do that.
youtube.com/watch?v=UXAOjgVpQWU ^ That's the one for Rehab. I dunno why it registers as not being available

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the videos!

she looks and sounds like a dying cat! :ninja:

i haven't seen this but it's hard to believe that this could be worse than her cover of "Beat It" performed with Charlotte Church. poor Charlotte Church was looking around nervously and trying to work it hard in spite of Amy's condition. you could only make out parts of each line... it would sound something like, "mmmsssggdfd mmnfnmsssd fdfmdmmd macho maaaaaan!" with a wail at the end. it was beyond a train wreck. :blink::shock:

you could only make out parts of each line... it would sound something like, "mmmsssggdfd mmnfnmsssd fdfmdmmd macho maaaaaan!" with a wail at the end. it was beyond a train wreck. :blink::shock:

Sounds like a must see :lol:

As I see it, the problem with this and other performances is that Amy's an interpretive jazz singer trying to fit a pop/ R&B mold. This performance is particularly absurd when she 's repeatedly forced to go to the chorus. She's riffing on the verses, and regurgitating the chorus. The song's structure is beneath her singing abilities. She's a jazz singer.

I don't get it? What's wrong with the performance... she just changed it up a bit?
It just looks to me like she put on a show/

:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jose lp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->