Ann Demeulemeester

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 22 2004, 08:43 AM

i do agree with your assesment that ann is softer and helmut is more structured...maybe the difference btw a male and female perspective?...
[snapback]341693[/snapback]​

I think it's just diffrent asthetic, i mean ann comes from a mroe romantic, poetic, punk point of view and helmut is more modern/urban, i don't even think there that comparable

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 22 2004, 10:43 AM
not surprised to hear she may be timid...her clothes are like armour...i would think the person designing them would be an introvert...plus as i said...i think that's the first interview i've read...she's certainly no media wh*re...

but i wasn't referring to any sort of belt scott...i was referring to the bondage style straps they both have hanging off their clothes...

did she start in 85?...that doesn't seem possible...maybe 95?... :unsure: ... i don't have that book on belgian design that some of you have that might have all that kind of info... maybe that needs to be added to the collection... :flower:
i do agree with your assesment that ann is softer and helmut is more structured...maybe the difference btw a male and female perspective?...
[snapback]341693[/snapback]​

Its the same for all Belgian designers as the majority of them are exactly that...introverts. You can see it their work. Its such a revolutionary concept these days actually designing from a more personal,emotional approach. And I'd like to think Ann was highly influential in that respect. Look at so many "indies" coming up now...very personal the majority of them are.

Softie,I must have misinterpreted about the straps/belts...sorry :blush:

Space,the reason I say they had loads in common is because if you look back before Helmut got signed at Prada,both had a very strong utiliarian/conceptual style about their work. And the tailoring is and has always been their strong points. Only Ann,added a bit of movement in hers...that volume,you see.

And I just wanted to give my personal feelings about Ann. Ann was the first designer who introduced me to not only Belgian fashion but Avant-Garde in general. I will always admire her because she was the first person who allowed for me to look at fashion at a different angle....and as you can see now,it just evolved since. She is really the reason why I wanted to be in this world so badly because if she could express herself as she has been for so long,I could too.

i think that by definition the intellectual designers will always appeal to a select group of people... i put ann in this category along with yohji and rei and dries etc...

it is a more subtle and thoughtful approach to design and self-expression...
i want desperately to own this...leather leggings..!!!!! :heart: :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
"This movement gives me something which is intriguing, but is not obvious. It's almost cutting an attitude into the clothes."

I love that statement!!

"I wanted to have the nonchalance of something falling down. Sometimes, I think it's beautiful when something falls down."

I agree!

this interview really opened up my eyes to these small details that she points out. thanks so much for posting faust!

have you ever put on an outfit and felt yourself change?...i mean your attitude and posture and even the way you walk and hold your head...???

that's what happens when i put on some of ann's pieces...i feel impenetrable...invulnerable...like i could take over the world and nothing can hurt me...

that is an amazing thing for an article of clothing to do...

to make you feel different...

i call it urban warrior apparel...like a modern suit of armour to protect you from the elements and harshness that come with urban life...it's like magic... :wub: -_-

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 22 2004, 11:39 AM
And I just wanted to give my personal feelings about Ann. Ann was the first designer who introduced me to not only Belgian fashion but Avant-Garde in general. I will always admire her because she was the first person who allowed for me to look at fashion at a different angle....and as you can see now,it just evolved since. She is really the reason why I wanted to be in this world so badly because if she could express herself as she has been for so long,I could too.
[snapback]341809[/snapback]​

oh that's so touching :heart:

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 22 2004, 01:39 PM
[snapback]341809[/snapback]​

:clap:

Originally posted by MayaPapaya9@Aug 22 2004, 03:19 PM
"This movement gives me something which is intriguing, but is not obvious. It's almost cutting an attitude into the clothes."

I love that statement!!

"I wanted to have the nonchalance of something falling down. Sometimes, I think it's beautiful when something falls down."

I agree!

this interview really opened up my eyes to these small details that she points out. thanks so much for posting faust!
[snapback]341896[/snapback]​

My pleasure. Your last statement, I heard that so many times as I forced people to look at Ann's designs closely. That is so much of the appeal of fashion (rather of what I consider fashion) to me - the designer THOUGHT, put energy, creativity and care into her creations. It's artful.

This interview solidifies everything for me. She's my favorite designer, hands down. Faust, thank you so, so much.

AlexN said:
This interview solidifies everything for me. She's my favorite designer, hands down. Faust, thank you so, so much.
:woot: :flower: :blush:

Ann D. is defintely on my list of top designers.
The clothes are perfect to the last detail.

Since interviews with her are so hard to come by I'll post this from 2000.

maarit said:
Since interviews with her are so hard to come by I'll post this from 2000.

Thanks a bunch! Keep them coming :flower:

Ann Demeulemeester's boutique in Antwerp (only one in the world), sorry for such huge images!

3049_3611.jpg

The famous feather necklaces!!! (I was too young to get those :( )
3049_3616.jpg

Outside! Oooh, I should post my own picture, I have one just like it!

3049_3609.jpg

Looks beautiful, I'd love to go there sometime.
I may have some Ann Dem menswear S/S 05 showroom pics to post here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->