Another Man F/W 09.10 : Robert Pattinson by Hedi Slimane

excellent comment, Algama. :heart:
You basically said it all and I definitely agree about the thin line that, unlike other magazines, Another manages to walk upon without getting tangled in any specific territory.. in other words, it's faithful to its own vision and its passion for clothing, they don't need gimmicks, controversy, blatant inspiration of real-life events or materialise people's sexual fantasies and fears to gain attention and be remembered.. it's all about clothing and creating an atmosphere through purity in imagery..
For me, Another and Encens are the only magazines worth investing on annually .. anything else should be free.. or merely a time-killer. :P

I actually like this magazine a lot because of the same reason you mention. Although I would not call it boring. Not sexy? well, I can't be sure -since I'm straight (or whatever it is the appropriate word nowadays)- if it is or if it isn't, but I'm almost certain that there are some images that might appear sexy to some. Maybe not in the straight-forward, all-out, all-the-way sexy...

There's this thing in men fashion magazines that, unfortunately for me, tend to focus A LOT in very sexy imagery. There have been several times when, after watching lots of men fashion magazines, I have found myself wondering if what I had just seen was a fashion magazine or a cultural variety magazine with a strong fondness for erotic imagery. I've seen a lot of men fashion magazines right here that adapt to that description.

I know that in women fashion magazines there's also a lot of sexiness, but there is almost always (unless the world was colored Purple B)) an emphasis on styling and other artistic manifestations that come together in what we all have come to know as an editorial.
What I'm trying to say is that i know (and concur with) is that fashion is not only clothing, it involves a lot more: photography, styling, art direction, modeling talent,creativity (i'm falling short here...) and inevitably (thank God!) eroticism. The question is: to what extent should one of the components prevail over the others until it loses its reference to fashion itself?

Now for the boring part. It's been made clear to me (through a long learning process from the valuable opinions of everyone here) that an ed is considered boring when:
1)It privileges the clothing/styling component over the otherwise essential "fantasy" component (Note: I repeat, I'm not saying fantasy is a secondary or inessential component)
2)The setting of the ed is more related to a "real-world" circumstance.
Maybe I'm wrong about this. Only questions, no statements.

AnotherMan is a magazine that I think has attained a real balance between this two components and that's the reason why I adore it.

Maybe I'm a dull person and have bad taste and whatever... but I thank that of the myriad of publications that leave me wanting more (or less if you prefer) AnotherMan satisfies me almost to a full extent.

Sorry for the long rant, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while. Hope to get responses since this subject really interests me.

I agree with you. I think we AnOther Man fills the need for such content ad focus on fashion. By being 'boring' in that it doesnt follow the 'sex sells' path, it keeps itself a refreshing change from other mags. I think there is a space for all sorts of magazines that have different visions and cater to different crowds, thank God!

Maybe I'm a dull person and have bad taste and whatever... but I thank that of the myriad of publications that leave me wanting more (or less if you prefer) AnotherMan satisfies me almost to a full extent.

Sorry for the long rant, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while. Hope to get responses since this subject really interests me.

You are not a dull person at all. You are a thinking and intelligent person with a good dosage of sensibility. Unfortunately there are way too many people without these good quality in this world. I mean if you are full of yourself while having the talent of Karl Lagerfeld, that's OK. Unfortunately most people with over-sized ego while never hesitating to talk like the ultimate authority have the minimum of talent. And it seems like there's a particularly high concentration of such people in the fashion world, I mean both the participants and the spectators of this whole fashion game. This TFS forum shows the best evidences of what I said.

Algama, love your insight!

The other benefit that I continually notice with magazines that are more concerned with reality over fantasy. The ones the stride a more balanced path with the content and direction of their editorials; is that in years to come, when looking back, they are an accurate snap shot of the time in which they were created in.

This is such a unique property to well-produced magazines. There are so many cultural references and time specific elements that help put that past moment into a permanent visual context. It seems that no other product does this as efficiently as the magazine, except perhaps film (?).

I'd much rather open a magazine that is relevant to the present whilst still offering a dose of imagination and creativity, than open one that is pure fiction.

Thanks for the scans!

Ph: Horst Diekgerdes
St: Bryan McMahon
Models: Ben Cobb,George Barnet @ Models 1, Olly Alexander, Connor Donlon, Brad Pickett, James Kelly, David Courts, Mathew Stevenson Wright, Charlie Casely Hayford, , Ivan Putrov, Luis Breva, Pavel Peracek @ D1, David Bradley

I love this magazine and I love Hedi Slimane. he is one of my favorite photographer !

Algama, thank you so much. Love Serge Leblon ft. Bryan McMahon ED

the issue was put up for free today so I figured I should post the rest of the contents. :heart:

THE COLLECTIONS.
Photographed by Robi Rodriguez
Styling by Steven Westgarth
Hair by Angelo Seminara
Makeup by Gemma Smith
Models: Liam Boyle & Nicky Bell
source: anothermanonline.com

THE FASHION
Photographed by Norbert Schoerner
Styled by Nicola Formichetti
Makeup by Maki Ryoke
Models: Adam Bates, Cory Osborne and Chris Darrow.

FILM FEEDS FASHION - THE DARK KNIGHT BECOMES THE ANTIHERO
Photography by Jabon Sutton
Styling by Brian MacMahon
Hair by Rudi Lewis
Makeup by Kirstin Piggot
Model: Artur D.

DENNIS HOPPER
Text by Tim Blanks
Photography by Dennis Hopper

I got digital issue on e-mail via dazed digital newsletter.

You can see & read it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the best covers he's done. Not a huge fan, but he looks very cool here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->