Antwerp Six: Belgium Avant Garde

^i dunno about somebody like demeulemeester in that respect as people like she,already has so much acclaim. truly needing one for those purposes,not really. but it would be lovely if she could add her distinct voice to the web. but you know,it was ages before designers like Branquinho and AF Vandevorst to get theirself a web site up.

yeah but i was at the studio actually but the ppl there dont really care:-P..

Ann demeulemeester is actually not too thrifty cauz she is the only belgian designer who paid for trainee.. But for a website, webshop ect she need maybe maximal 1000€+.. Its not much but why not????

she is in myspace:-P at least

Last edited by a moderator:
hey louis has stocksale, ya know that
com & get some rock owens Tee:-P

Jamie,

Coming back to the Kris van Assche - Les Hommes issue: several weeks ago the official news was announced that Kris van Assche will take over the Dior Homme brand because Hedi is leaving LVMH and just signed a contract at PPR (Pinault Printemps Redoute).

About the Louis stocksale: is that going on right now or in several days; do you have any idea?

Kiitos paljon ja hyvaa paivaa!

Hei! kaveri! Mites menee?

Sure i knew abt the KvA issue with DH.. but i mean the thing wit les hommes is kinda undeclared cauz i talked wit one fashionvitim in Antwerpen.. he told me kinda thing!!

Yes today is the Louis Stocksale(11-19)(DON/VRIJ/ZAT).. f*ck!!! i wann buy the Rick Owens/Balenciaga Tee.. We are so unlucky Divo:-(

Are you back to Antwerpen in late May? cauz they have les Hommes & dirk Birkkemberg!!

Moro Jamie, minulle kaikki on oikein hyvaa. Ja sinulle myos?

Oh f*ck that the Louis sample sale is today, my bad luck!!! I will be moving to Belgium in two weeks so maybe I will be paying a visit to the "Les Hommes" sample sales in Antwerp.

Not sure yet though because I am planning a trip together with my girlfriend to Florence, Italy and do some serious shopping in all of the major shopping outlets over there (next to the cultural sightseeing and cuisine of course).

Heippa!

Sorry to surface such an old thread, but I realized (somehow belatedly) that nearly all my favorite designers are Belgian or have ties to that scene, so I find this niche of high fashion fascinating.

Has anyone heard of DAY Birger et Mikkelsen? I've been ogling some of the stuff at NAP, and it's beautiful & unique. :blush:

Always thrilled to see this thread resurrected...no apologies necessary! :flower:

But I believe Day Birger et Mikkelsen are actually a Danish label... :P

edit: goat beat me to it....:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't know this thread....
it's FABULOUS... you guys talk with passion and depth and it's genius....
I'll have to print, though.... my eyes are tired now....

but why isn't it in the History of Style?
Like the Japanese Avant-Garde....

Oh, dear! Mikkelson is Danish, you're right.
I thought had seen it on the Flanders Fashion Institute site, but I was mistaken. >_<

i didn't know this thread....
it's FABULOUS... you guys talk with passion and depth and it's genius....
I'll have to print, though.... my eyes are tired now....

but why isn't it in the History of Style?
Like the Japanese Avant-Garde....

you're right...
moving it now...
hope more people will have a look at this amazing thread..
:heart::heart::heart:

softgrey, thanks for bumping this thread. *rating it 5 stars*
that belgian fashion design book forever changed the way i looked at clothes...

my favorite designer of the antwerp six is, without a doubt, ann demeulemeester. although i have to admit, her clothes were something that grew on me. before discovering her work, i was more into designers whose clothes were kooky and colorful (teen phase :lol:) and found it hard to love her work at first glance. i used to ask myself "what is so interesting about clothes in a monochrome palette, season after season?"

then i started reading her philosophy behind her work and started to find her collections more and more appealing. i started to take the time to appreciate the work of certain details... the cuts/silhouettes of a garments, the way the clothes fell on the body and the way they mended...

it was all so much more than just wearing a certain piece because it is in fashion.

^ha! i went through a similar thing myself. i was obsessed anna sui and marc jacobs from the time i was 12 till maybe i was 15,before i discovered ann and helmut lang. after that i wanted to know more about this 'antwerp six' or 'belgian fashion'. they were all so individual,radical but oh so intelligent. that led me to my deep adoration and respect for margiela as well. and the rest of course is history....i never really looked back as i became so transfixed by these designers as well as those newcomers,branquinho,simons,vandevorst and jurgi persoons. i just found little bits of myself in what they all did.

I have the first issue of BAM lying around here somewhere. Don't know if this has been posted before, but the BAM magazine was an initiative from the Flemish/Belgian government to promote the Flemish textile industry (which had been known for its quality for centuries in the rest of the world). In the 80s however, things weren't looking great for the industry, and a change in the production was necessary. Before then, they used to make sheets, bedlinnen etc. The BAM magazine was an important factor in making the industry more 'open' for producing clothing, as well as making the public acquainted with these designers.

I remember an interview with Dries Van Noten where he said that he had to do his production in England, because the Belgian industry simply wouldn't respect his wishes. His manufacturer refused to add a single red line in a blue knitted sweater because it was more difficult to make, whereas in England, this wasn't a problem at all en they even encouraged Dries to come up with more intricate designs!

The magazine mostly featured photographs, 'campaigns' and editorials from the antwerp six designers as well as some others. If you want, I could scan some of the pages :wink:

Hopefully I'm not repeating anyone here (haven't read the whole thread yet:blush:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ktlb123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->