1970s-1990s The Japanese Avant-garde

you are welcome!

there is one more collection video:

cdg a/w 92-93

this channel has also added many videos of issey miyake and matsuda collections!

the met has a great search feature that lets you search its collections. there are lots of early cdg, yohji, and issey. here are comme des garçons highlights all from 1982-1984 :woot: :woot:

cdg1982a1.jpg

cdg1982b1.jpg

cdg1983a1.jpg

cdg1983c1.jpg

cdg1983d1.jpg

all photos from metropolitan museum of art

Last edited by a moderator:
most of the 1983 pieces have the tricot comme des garcons label. the others use either the long white label with black printing or the black label with gold stitching.

one surprise was the fuchsia shirt from 1983...i think it is a misconception that Rei ONLY used a monochrome palette during this period.

issey miyake circa f/w 1983, mostly different wool knits, but there are some bands of black monkey (?) fur alongside some of the grey areas

im831.jpg

im832.jpg

pics by me

Found on National Geographic's website.

"A dress from Japanese designer Issey Miyake's A-POC collection (short for A Piece Of Cloth) is woven into fabric then liberated by cutting along the lines, as shown by Alvin Ailey dancer...'The technological revolution is responsbile for A POC," says Miyake. "But my designs cannot exist without the person hidden behind the cloth.' "

rei kawakubo as a photographer

"quartet" from 1981

goo.ne (courtesy latifa)

from 1981
rei (in the right) after the paris debut show

my scan

this is a wool cardigan from circa 1981. the guy i bought it from used to be the womenswear buyer at Bendel's (the first U.S. store to start carrying CDG) and said it was given to him as a gift after that first show in Paris, which I think was in Oct. 1981. it has intentional holes all over it, which was one of the iconic features of Rei's first Paris collections and led to critics calling her clothes "Hiroshima chic" etc.

cardi1.jpg

cardi2.jpg

cardi3.jpg

pix by me

Eye of the Artists: Issey Miyake's Forms of Invention
US Vogue October 1988

Photographer: Irving Penn

source | scanned by justaguy

anyone have full collection images of cdg's aw94 (the first boiled wool series)? please pm me. thanks!!!

i love how everything in this thread still looks so utterly relevant and timeless.

So true. I can still wear my mom's Yohji from the eighties and it still looks really modern...not just not dated, but fresh and modern. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->