Aquilano e Rimondi F/W 09.10 Milan

helmut.newton

Reaction score
I know this is an old collection, but I checked and no one had made a thread for it. And since they are somewhat gaining momentum for this label, I thought it interesting to see how their label develops. They have so far designed three collections (SS 09, FW 09 and SS 10).

Full collection:

2rwkp3d.jpg
wbz8nc.jpg

3145rf8.jpg
2m6lcfn.jpg

style.com/

A review from Style.com :flower:

MILAN, March 1, 2009

By Sarah Mower

The trials of Italy's newest talents, Tommaso Aquilano and Roberto Rimondi, might soften the hardest heart. First they parted from the company under which they designed the 6267 label; then they signed up to Gianfranco Ferré, only to find that one season later, its owner, IT Holding SpA, has gone into administration, its future uncertain. Thankfully, however, the pair don't have all their eggs in one basket. Aquilano.Rimondi is their own, independently financed label, and given all other circumstances, it is now their one serious chance to prove what they're really about.

The focus seems to have done them nothing but good. The collection they showed had some of the most sophisticated, fashion-relevant tailoring in Milan: a neat, peak-shouldered, lean-torso tuxedo coat; a fabulously curvaceous gray pinstripe pantsuit; and draped-shouldered dresses fit for an old-time movie star. "Good taste and chic are needed in fashion," said Aquilano. "On the runway, you sometimes have to exaggerate, but we also just want to make clothes women will want to wear. And not to keep changing every season for the sake of it. Continuity matters."

Their technical accomplishments (which have also been illustrated at Ferré, though in a more mannered way) are already not in question. Nor is the tuning of their antennae toward the defiant glamour of World War II, or their timely obsession with Elsa Schiaparelli, which brought out one of their best dresses, a black sheath with exaggerated, shocking-pink velvet sleeves. Where the designers did falter was in their overfussy puffed-up taffetas and overdecorated furs, which could have come from anyone in Milan. What Aquilano and Rimondi would be smart to realize now is that their specialness lies in their ability to cut a precise silhouette and to make clothes, like their fabulous tweed coat with fox fur sleeves, that could be worn in plenty of other places besides a cocktail party.

this is the thing. they're eponymous collection remains amazing. i just don't know if they've hit their stride at ferre. watching celine dion tonight on the grammys in one of their dresses really cemented that this pair knows how to create clothes that look good on the stage and the screen, but i wish they could translate a little of that magic into the heritage left for them at the house of gianfranco ferre. the leather suit is nice, the gorilla arm coat reminds me of dolce and gabbana, but the embellished blouse and dress remain pure gold. but everyone knows what i'm going to say about those shoulders....

The full collection looks amazing! That fur coat and the way it was styled is something else, and despite the austere colors of this collection, I actually like it. The texture... the fabrics.. This is sure to gain following if they maintain this level of creativity! ^_^

I like it! Looks very Lanvin by Alber, which I love... The cut is awesome and the materials and the design is gorgeous! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->