Armani 'hints' Tom Ford as his 'heir'

yeah...he'd probably have trouble just using 'ford'...

:lol:

are there any words & comments from tom on this or it is only giorgio's dream?

giorgio's dream it seems but the fire has started, for sure there will be comments :wink:

Here's a "conspiracy theory": they've been talking earlier, and it's not a coincidence that the latest show was a bit Gucci-like... :wink:

I happen to think it was a very good Armani show; sleeker, less fuss but definitely more glamorous than it has been for quite a while, but not vulgar.

i think that it was gucci that looked like armani not the other way round, cause Gucci was 'arman-esque' no?

^ I thought Armani looked like Gucci and Gucci looked like Armani. Almost like they switched design teams... Take another look, I'm sure you'll see it!

Yes, I agree with Tott, Armani did seem slightly Gucci-under-Ford...and of course, Gucci just screamed Armani this season.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I mean, as softgrey said, Armani has never been known for doing anything sexy or feminine.....Tom could change that, keep the glamour and luxury intact, but spice it up, make it more interesting. He could breathe new life into the label. Regardless of how well he did at YSL as far as being in line with the brand, he did manage to bring a lot of attention back to the label and make it a powerhouse again, maybe he could manage that for Armani.

softgrey said:
i think if tom ford comes back...he needs to do it under his own name or for a company which does not curently have a strong rtw identity...

he has too strong a point of view and i don't think he is good at working within the parameters of an already established design aesthetic...

he did well at gucci which never had a fashion collection before and miserably as ysl which had a pre-established image...
i don't see why armani would be any different...
if anything i think it would be worse, since armani is sooooo classic and conservative...
completely different market and customer than tom's...imo...

interesting to think about though...
thx lil smoochems...
:flower:

I agree. He should just do his own thing.

Spike413 said:
I mean, as softgrey said, Armani has never been known for doing anything sexy or feminine.....Tom could change that, keep the glamour and luxury intact, but spice it up, make it more interesting. He could breathe new life into the label. Regardless of how well he did at YSL as far as being in line with the brand, he did manage to bring a lot of attention back to the label and make it a powerhouse again, maybe he could manage that for Armani.

absolutely

I would love to see him back, but as others on this thread have said, I would like to see him do it under his own name. Tom has a very strong vision, and its not one that I can see as an easy fit for the label. If there wish is to revamp the label and make it a little less stiff and a little less passe, however, then perhaps Tom is the right person for the job. Yet somehow I sort of don't see this materializing.

On a side note, am I the only one who didn't hate what he did at YSL?

^
morgan im with you.. i didnt really "hate" his YSL stuff..

but anyways... i think this tom ford and armani thing might work out after all..
armani needs some revamping, and tom did a good job bringing gucci back to life..

How can you NOT hate it when you compare it to Hedi's last (as in last one) YSL collection (or all of Hedi's YSL work for that's sake) before Tom took over? And that's before even talking about Hedi's first Dior Homme collection that coincided with Tom's first YSL collection... :innocent:

^Ok I see your point. When you look at it in comparison, it was not a good fit at all. Still, I just can't say that I "hated" it. :innocent:

Magnum said:
How can you NOT hate it when you compare it to Hedi's last (as in last one) YSL collection (or all of Hedi's YSL work for that's sake) before Tom took over? And that's before even talking about Hedi's first Dior Homme collection that coincided with Tom's first YSL collection... :innocent:

if i remember correctly, yves st laurent himself was not a fan of tom ford even before the first collection was shown. from what i remember, he skipped tom fords ysl show to go to hedi's dior homme debut instead (which is still on of my favorite menswear shows to date)

What the hell? And the same thing happened to Givenchy too. Shouldn't the original designers have a say on who should be their heirs?

fouroclock said:
What the hell? And the same thing happened to Givenchy too. Shouldn't the original designers have a say on who should be their heirs?
Not when LVMH and Gucci Group are seeing red. As long as they're making money it doesn't matter who designs.

I actually loved what Tom did at YSL, I felt it was consistently better than Gucci which sometimes got too sl*tty (exposed boobies without any reason).

Hold on a second...Hedi designed for YSL? WHEN? I thought Alber was before Tom and after Yves himself.

I think Ford at Armani, he wouldn't get the freedom he ultimately desires, which was why the un-holy alliance of Gucci and Ford failed.

morgan38 said:
I would love to see him back, but as others on this thread have said, I would like to see him do it under his own name. Tom has a very strong vision, and its not one that I can see as an easy fit for the label. If there wish is to revamp the label and make it a little less stiff and a little less passe, however, then perhaps Tom is the right person for the job. Yet somehow I sort of don't see this materializing.

On a side note, am I the only one who didn't hate what he did at
YSL?

I didn't, I loved most of what he did.

Diorling, Hedi designed for YSL menswear while Alber was designing for womens.

And Yves didn't hate Tom from the start. Yves very willingly sold his company to Gucci Group knowing who would be replacing him. Before Tom's first collection, Yves was fine with him. The bad blood came only after Yves saw that Tom had his own view point of view and in a way, Yves lost the control he had over the house (even with Elbaz at the helm of Rive Gauche).

As far as YSL homme is concerned, I couldn't care less about it because, even when Ford was there, I rarely liked what was done. Besides, and I may be alone on this, I think YSL womenswear takes priority over menswear as far as forming an opinion of Ford's work there goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets not go back to Tom Ford critisism guys.. there are too many threads on how good or how bad TF's work was for Gucci & ysl, feel free to search and continue from there

lets keep this on topic please :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msflair
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->