Art History - where can you go from here?

loggi

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering a BA in the History of Art, but I'm not sure about the kind of fields, jobs, careers, it could take me into other than the curatorial field. Has anyone chosen to do this degree, and if so, could you enlighten me as to the options I may have from here? Thank you! :D

I graduated last year with a BA in Art History and I too wanted to avoid the curatorial field. Right now am working in a major advertising agency. I also have had past internships with fashion designers and Public Relations firms. I think that Art History majors tend to convey a general sense of creativity but also an academic smartness that appeals to a wide range of industries. I think you'll have no trouble getting a job in many different fields if you wanted.

I remember going to a Majors Fair at my university. I have had a huge fascination with art history especially Renaissance art. I remember grabbing a pamphlet that listed jobs associated with getting an Art History degree, and the first thing on the list was "museum curator." :flower:

I graduated last year with a BA in Art History and I too wanted to avoid the curatorial field. Right now am working in a major advertising agency. I also have had past internships with fashion designers and Public Relations firms. I think that Art History majors tend to convey a general sense of creativity but also an academic smartness that appeals to a wide range of industries. I think you'll have no trouble getting a job in many different fields if you wanted.

Wow, that sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'd like to do; I think both advertising and Public Relations sound really interesting. How did you manage to get such internships?

I just basically sent my resume/CV out to several places that I knew of. My current job in advertising came from just that.

When I did the public relations and fashion internships, those were actually a result of networking ... I knew someone who knew the people at those places, so I could get a direct link to the interview. But after the interview, I was on my own. But it's nice to have connections to help get your foot into that interview.

I'm so glad someone made this thread.

I'm an art history major, graduating in 09. I actually do want to go into curatorial work at this point, but I am open to other options (mostly because I don't know if I really want to get my PhD). What is your opinion on gallery stuff? Its definitely not the same as curating, but it may be too close for you, I don't know.

Right now I am setting up interviews for summer internships at galleries around LA. I really need an internship to go to grad school, but I also really want to see what it is like to work in a gallery because that could be a career option for me.

I should also add my emphasis is in contemporary art.

Apologies for going off course slightly, but I see that your location is London. Are you at university in London, because this is where I'm thinking of applying to to do Art History. Where do you go, and how do you like it?

I did my degree in Art History, and firstly I'd say that most degrees will allow you to go into any industry because they show a commitment and level of study which employers respond to.

Art History is a good general degree, because I think when you learn about art, you learn about everything which surrounds it...society and history. So if you decide that you want to do it, your career choices are quite open. If you want to go into the industry, a degree in the subject is very useful, but experience is even better. If you have time before you apply, do internships at galleries, museums, auction houses, because each experience is different.

It's also important to be aware that if you want to deal with objects and paintings, you'll have to work your way up - which is why it's so good to do internships. Auction houses have new objects everyday, museum work is more static...and think about how the economy affects smaller galleries. Also, from what I've been told and seen, there are very few amazing jobs, and the money is rarely great unless you're at the very top, e.g. curator at a major museum.

I believe that there are courses you can do, but my advice would be to do internships and speak to people in the industry, and then follow a degree you enjoy and feel passionate about :flower:

^It is so true about learning the history of everything else around the art. I have amazed my family by knowing information about random saints (we're Jewish) simply because I have studied enough Renaissance art that depicts stories of saints :lol:.

And yeah, there are few money jobs. You have to be a director of a major museum to really make bank. But I love art, I can be content to just work with it and be around it. I don't need a lot of money.

And I also agree about a lot of museum jobs being static. I once had an illuminating conversation with an archivist at a museum (note the sarcasm). Basically a librarian for artwork.

Apologies for going off course slightly, but I see that your location is London. Are you at university in London, because this is where I'm thinking of applying to to do Art History. Where do you go, and how do you like it?

I am in London right now, but I am not from London. I did a semester abroad here (not at any school here, my school has their own program), and sadly I am leaving tomorrow. I return to LA Wednesday afternoon and on Thursday I already have a meeting for an internship! I would love to return though, I have been looking a lot at schools in London for grad school. Goldsmiths is obviously the best. That would be a huge goal. I have heard from an Art History student there that they are very theory based, and less focused on the history (at least for undergrad). He was even a little frustrated with how much they discredited the history aspect. So you should keep that in mind. But they are the best school. I don't know too much about other schools. I'm as interested as you to look though. I really want to come back to London for grad school. Sorry if I rambled a little.

Ah, fantastic, best of luck! Yeah I have heard a lot of good things about Goldsmiths, and also about the Courtauld Institute of Art. Being more theory based sounds quite interesting, so thanks for that!

I heard Andre Leon Talley majored in art history and so did other magazine editors. Is that true. I want to go into editorial work but I am majoring in art history and people have told me that majoring in journalism or english would be better.

Lots of people in magazines majored in Art History - off the top of my head, ALT as mentioned, as well as Vera Wang I believe (she was a magazine editor before a designer), Jane Keltner from Teen Vogue, etc.

I'd like to add to the point that Art History is a really good general degree - because not only do we have to know how to analyse written text but there's obviously a lot of visual analysis. With jobs of course, so many people want to work in galleries or museums, and I guess that's the obvious choice with studying Art History.

I'm actually quite interested in is art valuation and art markets - one part of it is auction houses, but also art insurance, art as part of investment banking/wealth management, etc.

Anyway, I'm actually interested in doing the Sotheby's Institute short summer courses, but it's so expensive :( Does anyone have any feedback on them?

Historians are also needed on expeditions for different kinds of research / digging up old artifacts, information

For example, a textile historian is a must on any expedition
because they will have knowledge of how something might decay, how to preserve it, how something is put together (for recreation), etc. as well as adding to the general ideas on the history of such-and-such an object

I have no idea what major to study, even less of an idea for what career I want. I've been thinking about going for business, but when I look at the courses offered for that degree... I just want to run the other way. But art history sounds interesting, it covers everything I would actually enjoy learning.
But I know if I went in that direction my family wouldn't be happy... I can already hear my mother saying "that's a bull&%*t idea". But why worry about the job part now? I should just study what I'm interested in learning. Right? Or would that be poor planning?

Don't worry....I got the same lecture from my parents when I decided to major in Art History. But, it is a good general education not just in art but in so much more. Do what you'lll like, I know so many people who are in majors they hate because they have stable career oportunitites.

I'm so glad someone started this thread.
I'm thinking of applying to do Art History and I had no idea what you could do with it except for the usual curatorial type jobs so thanks! :smile:

I think if you're interested in it, you should go for it and as people have already said it's not always what you did your degree in so much as the fact you did one at all that looks good to employees. So if it's what you're really interested in- go for it.

Whooo, art history majors! I've been told by my old adviser when I was in school that the old-school thought of "art history major" is a socialite girl, a la Jackie Kennedy, and all the girls from good families that go to Sothebys or Christies to work (the so-called *ultimate* job).

I've done internships in both Art History and Fashion Magazines and they're both pretty okay/ pleased to hear that you're an Art History major- it means you can write, to say the least.

I majored in Art History, and I loved learning as much as I could about art. I didn't end up using my major, per say, but my degree has been so valuable to what I am doing now (CA designation, which is sooo far removed from art) I will always love art and be interested in it.....but it's not the only subject that I love, and honestly.....I wanted a more reliable career (not that art history isn't reliable.....it's just not as reliable as some others) Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->