Art History - where can you go from here?

:ninja: excuses^ I think I'm coming off the wrong way in that post (><) Maybe ignore all I wrote except the first sentence...

My parents won't let me major in art history. Does a minor help at all ?

Yes, I'm currently working on an art history degree myself. I've certainly had doubts along the way, but I believe that as long as you have skills and can think well, your major doesn't necessarily need to define your career trajectory. Or at least I hope. I suppose to prove my point, I was taken as an intern at an investment bank this past summer---even though they knew I was an art history student!

Oh thanks ! My case is the reverse of yours. Im gonna major Econs and take an art-related job :smile: I hope two first years of liberal arts curriculum will help me out

So I don't have much time but I'm currently not majoring in ARt History but I will be soon once I change school. I'm taking an Art History course now and I'm making 117... go figure. I end up teaching teh class half the time as my teacher, who's an actual artist, can't really explain things and... she's just not really good at it.

In regards to the person who says that ARt History students are people who are failed artists... I think with that methodology then people who read are failed writers. I study art because I like art and I love discussion. IN order to adequately discuss the art and to be able to give others insite to the art... I need to know the vernacular. I need to be able to see past the surface myself. To do this, I need to be educated about what the artist's points of reference could be and how these references themselves came about... it's very much like fashion. If you're reading a runway review by Tim Blanks or Tavi it's different than the 17 year old blogger who just loves buying Marc Jacobs bag and has no clue of the history of fashion... she can say oohh and ahh while they can talk about hedonism, YSL influences, and other motifs prevelant through the collection and the Marc Jacobs aesthetic in general...

"Just Being Honest"

I feel I should perhaps point out (maybe a little defensively) that I'm happy to be an Art History major and that I'm not a failed artist. It was my first choice of majors. I've never tried nor wanted to be an artist, so therefore I have not failed. :lol:

I know that is not my path, I'm more of an academic type. I suspect that is true for most of the people in my major. I've taken a few studio classes to better understand technique (it's required in my program) and while it was fun, I was not really inspired to continue. It did give me valuable insight into the artistic process and I think that's important for an art historian.

It is amusing that amongst my business and engineering major friends that I'm considered the arty one who dresses funny though!

Time to revive this thread! I've been contemplating majoring in Art History mainly because I love history, art, writing, and the social aspects of it. I had this amazing art teacher when I was younger, she taught us about Impressionist art. She remarked during one class that, "in order to understand art you need to understand the events in history/society that were occurring at that time." It's something I've always kept in mind when viewing art and it's this sort of thinking that makes me feel like this major would be a good fit. It combines a lot of my interests into one major.

So now my question is, what websites/books/movies/tv shows would one recommend that I look at to further my interest in art history? And what schools have good Art History programs for undergraduates?

I'm also interested in perhaps studying the history of fashion, which I feel is similar to Art History in ways, but this wouldn't be until grad school. So are their any undergrad programs that would give me a taste of the history of fashion too? Thanks a bunch! :flower:

I too am an art history major. Of course fashion inevitably ties in with certain aspects of art; drapery, textile motifs ect. It really is an interesting study and quite academic in the sense that you need to be both verbally articulate and a very good writer. It was also my first choice. I can't imagine myself trying to major in anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->