How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)

I'm confused. Do you mean a gourmet/food editor?
I'm just thrown off your usage of the term "chef", sorry.
Anyway, Vogue rarely inducts newbies onto their staff. Some of its writers & editors are as old as dirt and unlikely to retire until they die.
And you know what? Most younger people who work there are nervous wrecks. I'd freelance for them, but I'd never want to be tied to Nuclear's whims.

I think she means "chief" ... or, in other words, editor in chief.

i guess when your a assistant you have to rely on freebies and also plan ahead and save up for that period. if you want to do it as much, money wont matter. you'll be enjoying work to much.

so true Miss-V. Money use to be an issue for me, but I figure, hey i'll be too consumed with what i love doing...to really be thinking about the money.

Does anyone know if the salary for an assistant in a city other then NY would be similar? For instance Atlanta or Chicago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably less ... a lot of salaries have cost of living factored in. But that is only an educated guess.

I did not ask for money from the publisher. Since I am a little sleep each night and I wake up every morning imagining that I can become that person that I want... I´m not searching fame or money, only to have the job i dreamed since i borned.

What do you think that we need to study to become a editor "in cheaf"?​

There is nothing in particular I think you NEED to study Sensibility. I know this thread is pretty long, but if you read it in its entirety you will get a lot of valuable information. I personally thinks it takes...

drive. commitment. passion. connections. luck.

good luck.

3 vague, but vital steps to success:
- have talent & know specifically how to channel it
- establish credibility
- meet & impress the right people

School is just one of many ways to make that happen. Overall, it's what you do once you are in the industry than HOW you get in the door.

Question, fashion savvy!

So I want to apply to individual Conde Nast publications for a summer internship. However, I do not know the e-mail addresses/right people to to address my resume/cover letter to.

Should I address the hard copy of my resume/cover letter to the address from the mast head with an ATTENTION: Anna Wintour? Is there a way to track down e-mails/ specific addresses to send my information to?

Frieda, you might be better off sending your materials to the Human Resources department if you can find their contact info. An editor in chief usually isn't directly involved with hiring interns, and I'm sure Anna Wintour gets innundated with mail on a regular basis. Conde Nast actually has a careers website (http://www.condenastcareers.com/home.cfm) where you can create a profile and upload your resume into their database.

I want to try a one week placement at a magazine, as part on my school work experience
no idea where to start!:huh:

Fashion assistant job postings.

It is by far one of the hardest position to apply to because of their lack of openings...do any of you know of any job postings or word of mouth postings for fashion assistant jobs.

I want to try a one week placement at a magazine, as part on my school work experience
no idea where to start!:huh:
Only one week? That's not even an internship where you actually do some serious work (grunt work, but it's still work) or I would refer you to our posted openings for interns pinned at the top of this forum ... occasionally one for a magazine comes up.

We also have a thread about internships and work experience placements in this forum that is very active ... but they talk about gigs that are usally for several months ... not just a week.

I suggest that you contact small local neighborhood magazines (if they are really small, ask to speak to the editor or office manager, or check the masthead to see who's who) and ask them if they would consider job shadowing (which is what it's sometimes called if you just follow people around to learn what their job entails). If you say you are a student from a local school, they might consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like 99.9% of the people on this website, I too would love to work as a fashion editor at a reputable fashion magazine. I'm majoring in English and minoring in Art History. In the end, though, I think it takes a combination of ambition, talent, and, of course, who you know.

I'm currently 17 and very undiceided on what to do after college. The lecturer said from the same course last year, someone went off to be an interior designer and an architect. There was a few more but I can't remember.. my ultimate aim in life is to have a job that I enjoy. I would love to work at VOGUE UK in London, or at ELLE UK. I don't think I could handle moving away to another city.. I have not had one single job yet, my parents just give me money and look after me rather well. But I am very independent..
The one thing I hate is when people say 'in your dreams' or 'you have far to high hopes'. But they way I see it is 'if Carine and Anna can do it, so can I' ^_^
I defiantly want to work in Fashion, even a sales assistant at a nice store would be great. But my aim is to get an intern/paid job at a British Fashion Magazine... this thread has been so helpful!

well its incentive enough to prove people wrong reach for your dreams. I'm going to drop out of uni and become a fashionisto

I would seriously consider not doing that, Humperz. If you were serious with that remark ....

Most people do not make it in fashion ... just a fact. So you will have a distinct advantage with a good education for a fall back. If you drop out ... you have severely limited yourself and the choices that you will have ... whether you end up in fashion or not. Food for thought.

And if you wish to get into fashion publishing ... then a college education with emphasis on any one of the skills needed in a magazine setting will help you get in the door. And just "getting in the door" is the most important and probably the hardest step. Fashion magazines use accountants, writers, graphic artists, business managers, computer geeks ... all kinds of skills are needed and any one of them can get you in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->