Art History - where can you go from here?

Thought I'd join the conversation here- I just graduated from high school and am planning to study art history/arts management (I'm blessed to have chosen a school that has a an extensive department). That could always change within the next few years, but I highly doubt it. My ideal job would be in a gallery or auction house, though I know those jobs are super-competitive. I think for internships, museums are probably the best way to go, but I think I'd be bored if that were my career. I also love fashion (obviously) so something editorial would be wonderful, but I'll have to wait to see what comes out of connections, internships, etc. Also very interested in advertising and PR.

I guess I've just felt a little anxious lately thinking about my future. What if I make connections and DO get a job in fashion, then I probably wouldn't need a masters or PhD. My parents have always told me I should get at least a masters degree by the time I'm 30. If I wanted to work in galleries/auction houses/etc in the art market, then a higher degree is probably necessary to get to the higher levels. Has anyone had to deal with this choice or have any experience like this they could speak for? The doctorate route would be the more academic, intellectual (so to speak) way to go, but I don't know if I'll want so much school. I suppose if one did have a fashion/advertising/art job in a city they could take night classes to attain a higher degree, but especially with fashion, it's not really a 9-5 job so that could be unpredictable and not really pan out.

Sorry I'm talking myself in circles, but since graduation I've been thinking a lot about this lately! :blush:

^It is so true about learning the history of everything else around the art. I have amazed my family by knowing information about random saints (we're Jewish) simply because I have studied enough Renaissance art that depicts stories of saints :lol:.

hahah so true, everything I know about religion I learned through art history!

I have kind of a backward situation...I have my undergrad degree in art and art history but I am finishing up a short program in fashion and working in the industry right now. Eventually I want to get back to art history for grad school. Does anyone know anything about Costume history programs? and what I could do after? I was thinking that a program like this could open my options to dealing with museum fashion collections, working with vintage clothing, or styling on movie and tv sets...?
I love the fashion industry and definately want to stay in it, but I miss my history classes SO much! has anyone else thought about this type of program? or have any advice?
Thanks!!

I was thinking about that too. You should definately look into the Costume Institute at the Met.

I'm an Art History major too! :heart::heart:

Right now, I'm working as a part-time stylist. Most of what I do is catalogue work as I can't travel much because of school. I'm trying to figure out if it's something I want to pursue as a career. At the moment, I'm thinking of graduate school.

It's not a direct link, but my studies in Art History have helped my eye and the knowledge of historical costume has been an asset. I've also done some work with the Ballet and the Opera on costuming. My focus, however, is on Japanese art.

Honestly, I think you should study what you love rather than worrying about the career implications. I think most employers value critical thinking and creativity more than a degree in a certain subject. ^_^

I am soooo happy that I found this thread! I am planning to attend FIT for Art History in January and wanted to know what I could do with the degree. What's so cool at FIT is that they give you classes in the history of menswear, costumes, etc!

oh ok :D i didnt think FIT had an art history major so I was just wondering!

No they don't. Visual Art Management is as close as you can get.:cry:

I was considering art history as well, and after reading this I think I may have to get into it.

I'm really torn. I know that I'm most likely going to major in art history, but then I open up a fashion magazine and really think that I'd like to be in the publishing/editorial world. I suppose fashion doesn't really require a specific degree, so it would all be dependent upon various internships I got, and connections/networking.

I guess I just don't know if musuems would be too hum-drum for me. Does anyone have experience working in museums vs. galleries/auction houses and any advice/tips for interning or the industry? (vs. the fashion industry)

I worked as a docent at the Getty in L.A. and it became very boring after a while because we did the same thing over and over... but there was opportunities to change your speciality from time to time. Art museums almost always have various volunteer programs which might look impressive on a resume ... and which will get you some insight and training about the art and the functioning of the museum too.

I worked as a docent at the Getty in L.A. and it became very boring after a while because we did the same thing over and over... but there was opportunities to change your speciality from time to time. Art museums almost always have various volunteer programs which might look impressive on a resume ... and which will get you some insight and training about the art and the functioning of the museum too.

I'm currently working as a docent for two museums for contemporary art in the Netherlands. I'm pretty sure it will look impressive on a resume, especially if it's volunteer work. It was no problem for me to get an internship as an assistent-curator at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, which is the biggest museum for contempory art in the Netherlands. The curator was very impressed by all my activities next to school. My internship ended last May, but the experience I gained at the museum, and the contact with the curator have landed me several freelance jobs, even though I'm still in school. So I guess it's not that different from the fashion industry, where it's all about networking and experience.

Thanks for the tips! All of your internships/volunteer experience sounds great! I guess my issue would be that I need paid internships in order to live in NY (where I would most like to intern). I've researched and found quite a few.

Any clue how much one would make on average- say, as a curator? I know that art dealing is much more random to predict. That would be my dream though, working with a gallery as a dealer. Just don't know if I have the nerves/guts to be in that business! I'm also thinking about becoming a teacher, which I feel like would be much more practical money-wise.

i work in my school's art museum and it is fairly small but good sized. if your school or anywhere in your community has an art museum i would check it out and see if they take volunteers. i volunteered during winter term and then in the spring term the started to pay me which was definitely a bonus besides resume experience. also a lot of museums have opportunities during special events like openings, etc. where they need extra help that you could work at as a museum rep or coordinator.

Schools in New York

Hi everyone! I'm moving to New York soon (currently living in Los Angeles) and I would like some suggestions on where to take Art History classes. I'm really interested on that, but I'm kinda lost. I'm from Brazil and sometimes college degree here can be a little confusion to understand. I have a bachelor degree in Business and I was a fashion assistant and producer back in São Paulo (Brazil). I also did some styling myself. I really think that Art History can enrich my work and all the testimonials here were very helpful! Merci!

Wow, I got an email a few days ago regarding an internship request I emailed about two months ago to this project space for contemporary art. They asked me if I was interested to work with them as an assistent curator for a few months. I originally applied for an pr/communication internship, just to fill in my extra time while working on my thesis, so this sounds :woot:

Any clue how much one would make on average- say, as a curator?

I remember a job opening at the Stedelijk Museum, here in the Netherlands, which paid around 3000-3500 euro a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
^jessie ... you're a truly lucky girl ....
i need to get my fingers out of my a** (literal translation of a french expression ....)

Hi everyone! I'm moving to New York soon (currently living in Los Angeles) and I would like some suggestions on where to take Art History classes. I'm really interested on that, but I'm kinda lost. I'm from Brazil and sometimes college degree here can be a little confusion to understand. I have a bachelor degree in Business and I was a fashion assistant and producer back in São Paulo (Brazil). I also did some styling myself. I really think that Art History can enrich my work and all the testimonials here were very helpful! Merci!

Maybe the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies? Check it out: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/ There are some undergrad./grad. degrees that you can get there, but, as far as I can tell, also courses you can take that aren't for a degree. Hope this helps :flower: If you wanted to do graduate work in art history I would look at the NYU graduate school or Columbia. But if you just wanted to take a class here or there the NYU Continuing Studies sound like it would be perfect!

Does anyone have experience with the art history courses at Goldsmiths in London? I'm looking into them for next year. I want to remain in the fashion magazine industry but I am also interested in curating and museums, so I feel like studying art history could keep both doors open..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->