Asians and Double Eye Lid Surgery

Yeah I agree. Larger eyes with double eyelids has always been a coveted feature in Asia, even before globalization.

Are you sure?, I read a book that said when the french first arrived in japan/china, etc. their long noses were considered extremly unattractive, their eyes were said to be ugly and "resemble dogs eyes".

i always though it had more to do with globlization and how idea of cute (big eyes, symbolizing innocence) are portrayed. Since japan heavily influences korea, korea started to emphasizing big eyes -> followed by china. Well of course, this is one of the reasons i think have lead to the idea with the large eyes.
Why did they do this? i think its like sliming the figure back in the 1920's to create that perfect ideal beauty that isn't attainable. Of course back then it was for marketting, if it did start in 1800's, i can't think of a good reason.

well that end my crazy theory.:innocent:

strange story i read while i was in China:

a young shanghainese woman, very successful was about to marry a guy. but his mother didn't fully approve of her, saying that she didn't look chinese enough. she was a pure chinese (not a mixed), had high cheek bones, very light skin, long black hair and big eyes and was marveled to be a real beauty by her friends and family.

so, what's the logical thing to do?

she got surgery to flatten her cheekbones and eye reduction.

^WTF? That is so bizarre. I would not get surgery to please my mother-in-law.

I don't have double eyelids and it's definitely viewed as a flaw in China, or at least amongst the Chinese people that I know. People used to comment on my single eyelid in a "how unfortunate... but it's ok, you might get double lids one day. I got them suddenly when I was 15," etc etc. It's really annoying because I'm actually pretty content with single eyelids but they make you feel that nothing aside from the norm is beautiful. But now whenever I'm tired or when my eyes are wet I get double lids. And I think it's wrinkling my lids. :/

yeah.... eyelids are tricky. when i'm really tired and my eyes feel dry, i might get triple eyelids at times :lol: now,THAT looks unfortunate hahahah

Are you sure?, I read a book that said when the french first arrived in japan/china, etc. their long noses were considered extremly unattractive, their eyes were said to be ugly and "resemble dogs eyes".

Hmm I find that interesting. The reason I made the statement is because my family and other friends collect old Chinese paintings, many of which depict ideally beautiful women with double eyelids and slender noses. It's true that long noses are not necessarily valued, but a nose with a slender shape and small nostrils is preferred.

My great great grandmother apparently bragged about my mother for her double eyelids. When I was born, my great grandmother pointed them out as a valuable trait on my face as well.

i don't think asian women get the eye operations to look like a white woman. just as white women do not get lip augmentations to look like their african-american sisters.

lots of asians have small and single lidded eyes that may look dull and sleepy. even among the single lidded, there are differences. some are wide and almond shaped and quite lovely imo while others are extremely small, closed up and sleepy looking. at best they look sleepy, at worst they end up looking dull and lifeless. so i believe most who go for the procedure are just after brighter and livelier looking eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ i agree with you.
i have a few friends who have had the surgery (when they were quite young, too) - it seems to be quite common in Asia now.
I have double eyelids - and have never quite understood the fuss having/not having them.

Are single eyelids the same as hooded eyelids?

I'm not Asian but I have hooded eyelids, which I despise. They make me look old. It's also hard to get eyeshadow to look right.

Again, I don't know if single and hooded are the same thing, but I know there are Caucasian people who get surgery done too to get rid of the excess skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
strange story i read while i was in China:

a young shanghainese woman, very successful was about to marry a guy. but his mother didn't fully approve of her, saying that she didn't look chinese enough. she was a pure chinese (not a mixed), had high cheek bones, very light skin, long black hair and big eyes and was marveled to be a real beauty by her friends and family.

so, what's the logical thing to do?

she got surgery to flatten her cheekbones and eye reduction.

That's really ignorant on the mother's behalf, though the woman herself was stupid for actually flattening her cheekbones and getting eye reduction to satisfy the mom.

Anyways as for the whole double eyelid surgery thing, I think it's OK if you're just aiming to please yourself and look better, but if you're trying to look like a certain race then I think it's very sad. I'm not Asian though, and I have big eyes and double eyelids.

i'm sad to hear that people can't find the beauty in small and single lidded eyes. unless it is for medical purposes, it saddens me. they are so beautiful!!

It's definitely VERY popular in Asia right now...Like in Korea where I live girls are always looking up to celebrities who are unnaturally beautiful(have had surgery) and a lot of very young girls I know have already had eyelid surgery..I am asian but my eyes are a little bigger and naturally have the 'double-eyelid' and just because of that people are complimenting me on how pretty my eyes are and did I get plastic surgery? I found that shocking because when I lived overseas people don't even notice that...but in asia it seems to be such a big deal. A lot of pressure also comes from guys..Many guys want a girl who meet the 'western' standard of beauty, meaning big eyes, double eyelid, small face, high nose, because they think it's more attractive than the 'asian' look. And it's not only the face but asian guys seem to LOVE skinny girls..I know some couples where the guy is kind of pressuring his girlfriend to lose weight to be 'prettier' and the girls really try everything they can to impress the guys. There are just some extreme standards that has somehow been set for asian girls to live up to that prompts many of them to follow it through plastic surgery. :/

that probably explains why im having so much difficulty finding healthy looking girls nowadays, where im at, alot of people are stick thin its scary...im Asian and im prob one of the very few who definitely do not love skinny girls....

actually imo at least, its the lashes that really makes the diff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cherriesheep
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->