Back to the 80's F/W 09.10

although i LOVE 80's and 90's you are right...
until when will we be doing the "back to the xx's" thing?
in some years, what fashion from century XXI will be recognize?
maybe is time for inovating... i mean, those were beautiful years,
but they don't have to be the only marked years...
ok, i don't know if i'm writing clearly... but think: the only think 'ahead' we do is the futurist trend. but it stays on this: 'inspired in the futured"
hey, the future is here, begging for something COMPLETELY NEW.

don't get me wrong, i still love all the collections.

people that had their youthful in the 70's 80's 90's like to say how amazing it was, how avant-guarde they were, how everything were glam and glam and glam. designers are people too,
it's nice&easy to get inspired by memories i guess, and it kind of make us - contemporary youth - to wish we were born some decades ago...
as for doing our own thing, i only see scene... corykennedyandcobrasnake (i like them, not saying i don't) and celebrity trends. oh, that's SO 21 century.
anyone can name any exclusively 21-century trend on high fashion?
i can't think of any.

^ it is very difficult to try to think of what could be completely new in fashion. for most of its history, fashion has been characterized by evolution (either slow or sudden), not revolution. even most designers considered avant-garde or trailblazing are usually making a reference to something that has already occurred, whether they are exaggerating proportions (e.g. mugler and montana), turning toward historical dress (e.g. galliano's and westwood's pirate designs from the 80s), or otherwise.

imo there have been very few truly revoltionary moments in rtw fashion; two that come to mind are when rei kawakubo and yohji yamamoto showed their subversively ratty and deconstructed garments in 1981 and when kawakubo showed her "dress meets body..." collection for s/s 1997, a collection that went beyond redesigning clothes and actually redesigned the body.

i feel almost everything else, even subsequent collections by those japanese designers, can be traced as part of an evolution. not surprisingly, those aforementioned collections were met with a lot of derision and confusion because they were so startling and new. some smaller designers as well as artists who work in the medium of fashion have the ability to do new things, but by and large, fashion designers who show on the runway either cannot come up with anything really new, or are afraid to do so because it would alienate customers (the majority of the buying public shies away from things that are too novel and unusual, in fashion as well as almost any other field). fashion designers have to consider what the public will buy in order to remain commercially viable, and in many cases, customers are attracted to and more comfortable with designs that are in some way familiar to them.

so the countless 80s references in current collections are not surprising, given the cyclical nature of fashion as well as the current dismal economic climate regarded vis-a-vis the empowering silhouettes and jubilant palette of much 80s fashion. additionally, some of the target demographic for current collections is young and perhaps not all that familiar with fashion history or even 80s fashion. a lot of fashion customers are probably not as knowledgeable as some of us TFSers, and while many of us recognize the allusions to vintage fashion in current collections, to many of the target buyers, it is something fresh and exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not saying that most fashion designers are unoriginal, just that they frequently only demonstrate their vision and creativity as far as they can within parameters of marketability and public acceptance.

Pollini

Lorenzo Riva

Laura Biagiotti

Dolce & Gabbana

Angelo Marani

marani01720090302224653ey6.jpg

style.it

some looks are nice, but i'm just so horribly bored of 80s silhouettes and styling. club kids have driven it into the ground and it's about damn time we moved on, but i guess since the economy's gone to **** nobody wants to do that..

fashion.fashoff, i agree with most of what you write.
only some points:

it's only hard to make completely new things because designers are mostly more engaged with what's inside fashion world tha outside. we see more and more collections inspired by collections!
it's also hard for us to imagine completely new things because there was so much trends, whenever something come to mind, we discoved it was done. if we search for inspiration outside fashion, we might make something not revolutionaty, but just new.
we don't have to be inspired buy things we don't know yet, but only using thngs that weren't done.

One different idea from some designer might not be the season's most wanted trend as it might be, depend on it's strengh. I think not much people question Chanel's trend for example, and not because the trends might be classic but only cause Chanel built respect... I sure don't think it can't 'scare' clients!

i mean, basicly: we must come out of theses trend-cycles we seem to be stucked with,

MY OPINION.

back to the topic.
is it just me or Staerk has a lot of Chanel going on.

Devastee

6a00d8341c76e453ef01127.jpg
6a00d8341c76e453ef01116.jpg

Etro

00120h20090301193330237w.jpg
00070h20090301193614269.jpg

Stephen Burrows

stephenburrows.jpg
00210h20090220230441321.jpg

Massimo Rebecchi

sfi01722009030320452672.jpg
massimorebecchi.jpg

Jeremy Laing

jeremylaing004200902160.jpg

Libertine

00090h20090220084242257.jpg

style.it

Wow... the fashion gods overruled my ban of '80s talk. I didn't want to post anything in the past, but man... haven't we revived the '80s one too many times before? I'm not talking about just in fashion and music, but in EVERYTHING? Only thing good from the '80s were video games and of course... my birth (1983).

Because I'm forced to contribute something positive and relevant to each thread I take part in, I just want to praise that all magenta look for the femme in the Laura Biagiotti picture in Post #25. Both Pollini outfits are lovely from the same post. Finally, I'll praise the bootcut pants in Post #31 for Stephen Burrows.

Those are just a few things I'll praise here. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll still try to negotiate a permanent ban on '80s fandom...

Balenciaga

bale11.jpg
bale12.jpg

bale14.jpg
bale20.jpg

catwalking.com via Vinciano

It's quite obvious why in a recession they're referencing the 80s. The dramatics. Pure escapism.

Sharon Wauchob

waucaw090004.jpg
waucaw090260.jpg

catwalking.com via *Bianca*

I absolutely love it! There is just something about it, that I love :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back