Balenciaga Haute Couture F/W 2022.23 Paris

I GASPED so hard seeing Christine Quinn modeling omfg.

Also does anyone know who that lucky b*tch is in the audience that ordered the orange look from last season?

Naomi could have taught Kim K and Dua Lipa how to relax when walking...they looked very stressed.
Nicole Kidman owned it and her presence felt natural to the show.

The opening part felt a bit too gimmicky because of the Daft Punk masks. Such a pity because the garments look interesting.
The black masks turn everything into "costume" rather than "couture" sadly...

The wedding gown and pink gown were gorgeous, but my god …. the amount of trouble they were having with their looks were so distracting and anxiety inducing ! I felt bad for the model in the wedding gown trying to navigate it and for a while that’s probably going to be stuck in my head. I really wish they had chosen a different venue because of it. I get showing in the renovated showroom is “special,” but they need to think about showing in the best light. Oh well.

Other than that, I surprisingly enjoyed some of it.

Demna is truly a showman! I like how he elevates the classic looks with so much drama with volumes and trains. His technique in draping and tailoring is impeccable as usual.

The few seamless plastic looks at the first look interesting, not just the silhouette but he managed to make it look like the digital dresses come to life. I think the maskes are gimmicky and unnecessary.

Still can’t digest his couture denim though.

The latex catsuit thing needs to stop and some of the celeb bookings felt very unnecessary.

I liked a few of the dresses that felt most referential to the house codes...

Whole things reeks of desperation. From the gimmicky casting to garments being ridiculous just for the sake of it. Naomi got the ugliest look so I am happy lol. The gown section at the end was unnecessary. Not only was it hideous but just painful to watch.

absolutely dreadful casting from start to finish - i could hardly even watch. some of the clothes are interesting but those giant ballooned gowns at the end were honestly quite heinous. those denim looks were dreadful too. a mostly poor effort. style over substance (except there's not much style either :lol:).

to me he's at his best when he does 'pretty' things, like the dress on julia nobis and bella - and in contrast with the edgier looks they really pop
the margiela-isms were unnecessary as was the stunt casting, although i liked nicole in there

LOL. did they not consider how those balloon gowns would enter those cramp door frames

I think this was done on purpose. For sure because they would have cancelled it after the rehearsal, no ? It's probably nod to historical references about hoops and how they made women's lives so difficult but still was a big trend nonetheless back then.

I actually really enjoyed that. He introduced a fresh silhouette for men, which worked surprisingly well. Seeing that kind of curvaceous shape on men looked quite radical. The catsuits and latex were impeccably constructed. The denim had no place here, luckily it didn't detract from the collection. I smiled when Nicole came out. She took on the role of a model perfectly. He has the confidence, so now it's time to really push it even further. This is a great start.

The second half of the show slayed tbh..
and the cast is such a troll move from Demna lol I love it

To me the cast doesn't really come across desperate. It feels more tongue in cheek.

Overall I enjoyed most of this! There were a lot of chic sophisticated looks. Minus the tshirt and jeans stuff. Too silly. Altho I do wonder how much a couture hoodie costs

I actually really enjoyed that. He introduced a fresh silhouette for men, which worked surprisingly well. Seeing that kind of curvaceous shape on men looked quite radical.

Those tiny waists! I need my pre-pandemic body ASAP.

Overall, a stunning collection in my opinion. The way those first couple of rubber (?) looks were manipulated into classic couture garments was exquisite.

I'm no friend of Demna, just to be clear, but this felt like a breath of fresh air in the midst of the autopilot - generated collections he keeps churning out for the RTW.
Not all the looks were successful, especially the gowns in the last part of the show, verging as they were on the caricature side of fashion (and maybe Demna should be reminded that Cristobal experimented with silhouettes, but never at the expense of the comfort of the woman wearing his clothes).
If anything, this was a reminder that, when he wants, Gvasalia is a very skilled technician, able to exert extreme control on shapes and garment construction.
p.s: what must have Tim Blanks done to be relegated to second row?

I don’t like the majority of this. I only liked Julia Nobis’ look because she knew what to do with it.

The last few looks made me uncomfortable. In fact the casting overall did because so few knew how to navigate the clothes and runway it made me feel embarrassed for them and for myself for watching it. Time and time again Demna pits these models in garments that they can not walk in and as a viewer it makes me feel infuriated. I’m barely able to sit through the show because of the repetitious bore BUT now the models can’t even walk in the clothes you’re trying to make me like? Pull it together Demna.

This just feels like an angry collection. I wonder if Demna even cares at this point whatsoever. I’m even surprised he continued with couture considering his past tweets about it. It even isn’t a creative anger, it’s just angry for the sake of angry because in an industry that favours him, he’s still seemingly unable to find his “way” with it. It could be all about a comment, but execute it better because this feels pretty piss poor.

Expand your vocabulary, diversify your narrow minded creative team and pull your head out of your f*cking ***. Good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->