Balmain

baghag21

Reaction score
Hi all. I am loving the Balmain jackets. The one with the disproportionate shoulders.:P On Dasha Zhukova. Not sure about the price tag though. Its all the rage now but at a price of Euro 2185, it should be a longer term investment. Like a Chanel jacket.

What do you fabulous TFSers think?

[Pic from purseblog forum]

Attachments

• Dasha Zhukova in Balmain black jacket.jpg
    Dasha Zhukova in Balmain black jacket.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
I love it, the cut is really great. But i wouldn't go as far as calling it a "long time investment"...I hope i'm wrong because i like that trend, but i doubt people will still be wearing disproportionate shoulders in 3 or 4 years...

those shoulders and the structure of the jackets are amazing. if i won the lottery, i'd fill my closet with jackets from s/s 09 and f/w 09. i'm in love!!

im inlove with that jacket and the other beaded one....but the price is just .....

the problem is, to do a bigger, sculpted shoulder the tailoring has to be impeccable and precise. Otherwise, it looks messy and like you are riffing on 80's shoulder pads (which they are not). The Balmain ones are, horribly, overpriced for what they are. If you want to spend money and do this trend, I would head to YSL. Or get a jacket you like, and get a tailor to do it for you.

I tried on both the black and white jackets. Its very fitted in the arms. This is necessary to maintain a slim proportion to balance the disproportionate shoulders. Unfortunately the black sz34 (my size) was sold out and only available in white. Sz 36 was 1 inch bigger on the shoulders which made the jacket even more disproportionate on me. I am not keen on white. These shoulders will be a huge look for Fall '09. Perhaps more choices then? By then it will be flooding the high street stores too.

Thanks for the advise, good TFSers.

Meg...I am with you on the pricing factor here. Simply befuddling! Agree that YSL has more superbly made jackets. Even Balenciaga.

For me personally, I am already over this. It was nice last season, but now that everyone and their mother at Paris fashion week has worn these, I'm just a bit tired of them. I'd rather to a classic YSL or McQueen pagoda shoulder to wear some volume in the shoulder, but without it being Balmain.

I still love these jackets and for some reason (maybe as has already been suggested, they need to be made well) I haven't seen any cheap rip offs. Surely Topshop should have churned one out already? Anyway the one you posted is rather basic which makes it ideal for repetitive wear, if you have the dollars I say buy!!

meg,
I am totally over it too. IMO the wrong people have worn this jacket for me to even feel a desire for it before i got the chance...
balmain runway is totally overpriced no matter what you are looking at and this jacket is one of those items..

I love the idea of the Balmain jackets because I have very narrow shoulders and I tend to gravitate towards jacket designs that elongate them. However, I feel like in a few years, these jackets will be to us what 80s shoulder pads have been to us for the past decade (i.e. shameful). With that in mind, I'm not sure I can justify the price tag as an investment, in terms of long term usage. Of course, it would be different if I were a fashion collector swimming in mountains of cash but at this point in time, I am not. If I were, though, I'd buy a couple just to put in my own little personal fashion museum. :P

For now, I think Chanel would be the best investment. I also really love the shoulders of Balenciaga jackets - they are always striking and quite distinctive without being ridiculous or easily dated.

So many people looked ridiculous in these jackets. Remember you're no Emmanuelle Alt.

actually ive seen quite a few non Emmanuelle Alt wear those jackets and they look fabulous..I do think that it would be better if you were slim...but besides that, I've seen different women wearing these jackets and they are the ones who changed my mind and make me want these jackets!

i don t think u need to be Emmanuellesque to wear that blazer. that s nonsense

Better off with Balenciaga if you are looking into that price range imo.

just as a heads up for people in the nyc area..they sell balmain at kirna zabete in soho..

I love the new Balmain jeans but they are EXPENSIVE! Fortunately the new J Brand Thrashers look very similar...

^ yeah, I don't think they are Balmain.. They look different. Like em though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->