Chanel will no longer repair bags more than five years old

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to post this here or at the handbags subforum, but I think this adds to the conversation of where brands are heading and what their general strategies will be in the near future...

Chanel’s New Bag Repair Policies Are Super Strict

This could be bad news for anyone with a well-loved or pre-owned Chanel bag, or ​really anyone with​ a Chanel bag at all. PurseBlog reports that Chanel recently changed its policies and will no longer refurbish or refinish bags that are more than five years old. The brand also will now only repair bags with proof of purchase.

That means if you don't have proof of purchase from a Chanel boutique or authorized Chanel retailer, the brand's repair department will refuse service. Don't worry if you threw away your receipt four years ago, though. PurseBlog reports Chanel will be able to look up purchases in their system. But that probably doesn't help anyone who purchased a bag on the resale market.

This policy went into effect as of October 1st, and many Chanel fans on the PurseBlog's forum are upset, posting nearly 360 comments about the new policy in one thread. One poster wrote: "this is ridiculous!!! obviously most bags under 5 yr old does not need any repair or spa!!! even with receipt, it is useless..."

Another said, "Lots of considerations here about the new Chanel policies... so basically a bag from 2010 will not be considered for a repair.. Chanel bags are meant to last a lifetime with reasonable usage & for so many, passed on from generation to generation."

Considering the price of Chanel bags keeps rising, it's no wonder Chanel shoppers are angry that the label won't repair something some consider an "investment" handbag that's meant to last forever.

What is Chanel's rationale for the policy change? PurseBlog's Megs Mahoney Dusil writes: "The person I spoke with explained Chanel prides itself on being able to take care of a bag properly and bring it back to its original state, and that Chanel would not want to cause additional damage to a bag that is older than 5 years and shows more age and wear during the refurbishing process. Chanel must be fielding many calls about its new policy; each rep seems ready to answer if you have any questions."

http://www.racked.com/2015/10/26/9617404/chanel-bag-repair

Well, it's pretty obvious, right? What they're saying sounds like BS to me. They don't want to repair bags, they want to sell them. I didn't know they were repairing bags before, but clearly a lot of other people did. Shame on Chanel for not standing behind their product and attempting to boost consumerism at the expense of people who are attempting to be responsible.

It was predictable. With all those prices increases, people were buying vintage bags. They were able to refinish them in Chanel boutiques.
I believe that at some points even if it says a lot about the cachet of the brand, it wasn't good for business.

I haven't bought a Chanel bag in 3 years and i don't have any plans to buy one. Their prices are so ridiculous!
When i compare the prices of my classics that i have bought in 2008 to their prices now= heart attack!

Well, it's pretty obvious, right? What they're saying sounds like BS to me. They don't want to repair bags, they want to sell them. I didn't know they were repairing bags before, but clearly a lot of other people did. Shame on Chanel for not standing behind their product and attempting to boost consumerism at the expense of people who are attempting to be responsible.

Yeah, they're reasoning is complete PR spin babble. They're essentially afraid of damaging bags further with their repair service? :rolleyes: They must not have that many skilled repair shop workers anymore… or rather are just trying to cut corners in whatever way they can, customers be damned.

It was predictable. With all those prices increases, people were buying vintage bags. They were able to refinish them in Chanel boutiques.
I believe that at some points even if it says a lot about the cachet of the brand, it wasn't good for business.

I haven't bought a Chanel bag in 3 years and i don't have any plans to buy one. Their prices are so ridiculous!
When i compare the prices of my classics that i have bought in 2008 to their prices now= heart attack!

The resale market is strong, for many reasons, the main being the newer offerings' prices, as you mention. But I daresay it's not in any way equal to purchases of brand new products.

I would get this from a lesser brand that perhaps is not doing good financially, but Chanel keeps posting record profits and to impact their image in this way is just a shot in their own foot, I think.

Are there any other houses that repair their bags? Doesn't Hermes do their bags and leather?

Bullsh*t! They just want you to buy new bags and don't want any hassle with older or resold bags. Obviously within 5 years almost no bag needs to be repaired.

That's one of the dumbest moves I've heard about in recent time. How on Earth, as a historic luxury house like Chanel, can you refuse to repair your bags? It says a lot about how you envision your brand...

When I hear about houses that repair their items no matter how old, it really makes me think highly of that house. It tells you that they stand by their products and long histories and appreciate that people use their older stuff, that they hire and train people to do hands-on work instead of machine lines. It's super classy and luxurious, their artisans doing their craft... Dumpy move by Chanel (and they can afford to offer this service, to say the least)

As someone with THAT much Chanel I consider it the WORST fashion house out there in terms of client treatment.
So many horrific experiences and I was a very young $$$$$ customer so they had years worth of sales from me.
I haven't bought from them for years and have no intention to again.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Their products are crap and the prices are absurd.
Bye Chanel. Hello Hermes. Even hello Dior which I don't like as much as CC but at least they show some consideration for their customers.

No one has mentioned how stupid CC's repair process was/is anyway.
SIX MONTHS WAIT and you get NO price estimation until it's in Paris and being serviced. So your bag can be gone for a year. And oops it's damaged on its return.
Well poor you then.

This speaks to the way we're expected to treat everything as disposable. It used to be that you'd invest in a bag and have it forever, now you're expected to get a new one every season and if your old bag is damaged in any way sucks for you. There are of course leather companies like ArtBag and LeatherSpa to help, but the ideal is going to the brand. I feel like having a repair service in the first place was something that fostered brand loyalty and good will, the idea that a brand was willing to stand by its products and consumers.

Honestly, with the price they're charging they should make it seem like you wont have to bring in the bag for at least 10 years for repair.

Five years is the same timeframe Ethan Allen guarantees their furniture for (a brand I have sworn to never buy from again after my bed collapsed at 2 am in perfect synchrony with a huge thunderclap--after, naturally, the guarantee had run out).

I was just reading in the current issue of Afar about a 6th-generation family-owned Japanese business that makes metal tea canisters. They also make other things, like a teaset sold through Margaret Howell. Their products have a lifetime guarantee, and they just repaired one of their products that was over 100 years old that a grandparent had purchased, no questions asked. Now that is the kind of company I like to do business with. Mention lifetime guarantee and you have my attention. Five years ... I spit on five years :wink:

:sick:

Five years is the same timeframe Ethan Allen guarantees their furniture for (a brand I have sworn to never buy from again after my bed collapsed at 2 am in perfect synchrony with a huge thunderclap--after, naturally, the guarantee had run out).
:lol::lol::lol: It's a pity I wasn't there to witness it. :Pink:

I am not sorry I was short on witnesses :wink: Only the dogs were there, and they were already freaking out about the terrible storm :lol:

This, along with blacklisting some customers, is a strategy to stop the big amount of resellers of designer bags out there; the problem is the fact that It affects the loyal costumers too. It's not an insane idea that someone suddenly had either, Hermès is slowly introducing this plan too.

I believe this strategy is more for their classic bags than for their seasonal bags.
I've heard that the quality of their classics has declined a bit but their seasonal bags are still top quality.

I have the Cassette clutch from ss2004 and it's still intact.

Their loyal customers are collecting their bags with a heavy rotation. I believe they will not have to do so much repairs...-_-

I'm beginning to think the house of Chanel is as shallow as some of its best-known designers :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->