Bang by Marc Jacobs Fragrance : Marc Jacobs by Juergen Teller

^the way i see it: let him have it. he spent YEARS AND YEARS as a nebbish outsider. let him enjoy his looks for a while. besides, if you had a noah mills or will chalker doing these same poses, we'd all be applauding.

Can't say the description of the fragrance its self sounds all that nice, but I have to say I do love the bottle. I'll probably purchase it based on that neat little piece of design alone.

The ads just amuse me. I see the humour in them. It's all tongue in cheek. Let it be.

I see it as a combination of Yves Saint Laurent's 70s nude shots and, well, strange 70s hairiness.

i must be the only one who doesn't like the bottle...

also, it's not the first fragrance from Marc Jacobs. there's Marc Jacobs for Men already, since 2002 to be precise.

Last edited by a moderator:
^the way i see it: let him have it. he spent YEARS AND YEARS as a nebbish outsider. let him enjoy his looks for a while. besides, if you had a noah mills or will chalker doing these same poses, we'd all be applauding.
I dunno, to me this ad is like seeing a 47 year old man dressed in shredded jeans, flip flops and a tight tee from Abercrombie, or a 47 year old woman in a pink Juicy tracksuit with "Juicy" written across her ***. There's something so desperate about it.

^many many people go through second adolescences. some buy ferraris, some use birkins as beach bags. to each his/her own.

The bottle is great, but the ad :ninja: :yuk: looks like a poster of a p*rno movie.

the bottle is pretty awesome hjis ad looks strange almost plastic like lets hope he wont be going down the Thierry Mugler way!

^um, gay men who identify with marc jacobs? gay men in general? also, straight women who enjoy this sort of excess and will buy this cologne for their boyfriends, partners, husbands, etc. it's a pretty cut and dry campaign. it's just sensational because it's him and not david gandy or jon kortajarena

I see it as a combination of Yves Saint Laurent's 70s nude shots and, well, strange 70s hairiness.

yes definitely !
it's YSL meets Tom Ford by Richardson ...

scans from POP FW 2005
It's basically the same photographer ...
* styled by Panos

Marc can use all the tinfoil he likes, but he's still outshined by the design of that bottle.
:clap::mohawk::muscles:
Definitely ....

let him enjoy his looks for a while. besides, if you had a noah mills or will chalker doing these same poses, we'd all be applauding.
well basically they are models, so that's their job.
Marc's job is to design outfits, or at least do some art direction ...
when YSL did it for the launching of M7 (his first men perfurme, as well), it was huge since he was the first doing this and being naked was pretty much "avant-garde" in the advertising industry in these days ... It was in a way the start of provocation as a way of advertising ...

When MJ's doing it, he's pretty much just repeating other ideas in a world and society that just doesn't get excited anymore for this kind of provocation ....
Moreover, he can preserve this for his hubbie and friends ... non ? who cares about his body ? we wanna see outfits and beautiful campains, from him ... People don't even get interested into outfits or produced works, anymore. but just the people behind, so basically instead of a biography or "real books" the people give us images and a lazy interview about his gym, rehab and what's in his fridge !
And putting his feet in YSL's ones is pretty much big-ego ! not even funny or ironic, or anything ... but i bet the fashion industry supporting him can make this quite big for nothing in a record time ...

He failed, the bottle definitely win !

there's Marc Jacobs for Men already, since 2002 to be precise.
yes ! but isn't something based on the one for women ? i couldn't know, i never smell the one for women ....

well basically they are models, so that's their job. Marc's job is to design outfits, or at least do some art direction ...

the job of a marquee designer goes much further than contributing a sketch or two for a show or putting together a creative idea for an ad campaign. these designers have giant personalities that not only drive the brands they helm but excites many of their customers. just go to a trunk show where one of these designers attends: the women go crazy. in that vein, it's these super-designers' jobs -- just like any other celebrity -- to create and maintain an image. this type of behavior exists at the top of EVERY industry from politics to sports to academia.

when YSL did it for the launching of M7 (his first men perfurme, as well), it was huge since he was the first doing this and being naked was pretty much "avant-garde" in the advertising industry in these days ... It was in a way the start of provocation as a way of advertising ...

When MJ's doing it, he's pretty much just repeating other ideas in a world and society that just doesn't get excited anymore for this kind of provocation ....

i'm pretty sure marc jacobs wasn't doing this to make some point just like tom ford didn't do it when he posed for tom ford for men extreme or tom ford grey vetiver. it's just another campaign. and frankly, he has the body to pull it off. and clearly, it still provokes people.

Moreover, he can preserve this for his hubbie and friends ... non ? who cares about his body ? we wanna see outfits and beautiful campains, from him ... People don't even get interested into outfits or produced works, anymore. but just the people behind, so basically instead of a biography or "real books" the people give us images and a lazy interview about his gym, rehab and what's in his fridge !

clearly, lots of people care about his body. when he's on magazine covers, they sell. when his naked image appears on a (charity fundraising) t-shirt, they sell. people find marc jacobs attractive. people find tom ford attractive. it's human nature. and we live in a modern world where men (and women) don't have to "save" themselves for their partners as if they're a possession. also, i find the pet projects of karl lagerfeld and other marquee designers just as ostentatious and showy as this campaign. i say, "let them have it." they're creating and participating in the luxury lifestyle that sell the wares of the houses they work for.

also, for the record, there are lots of naked pictures of juergen teller floating around that he shot of himself. ditto other photographers. many models are in the movies. many movie stars have fashion lines. many models have their own fashion lines. no one stays in their "box" anymore. the cross pollination between the worlds of celebrity and fashion is a reality. it's part of the landscape. there's no turning back.

This is just Hot! Marc really wants some attention, and he got it! Claps for him! I really like this! It's not just hot, it works. Makes me want to buy the parfum

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->