Biba

vintage_princess said:
I think some Biba clothes are cute...I like the ones softgrey posted. :blush:

impossibleprincess, I guess you like Biba now especially since Sienna Miller is a big fan ^_^
Yes I know she likes Biba but I love Biba, with or without the Sienna influence. Sienna is more hippy flower child, I like the glamour of the era. They're quite different threads to come out of it all. :innocent:

more pics. It may be interesting to know that Anna Wintour worked in Biba at one time :lol:

Attachments

• bibagirl1.jpg
    bibagirl1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 76
  • bibatwiggy.jpg
    bibatwiggy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 81
I've never actually liked the label very much, but I do adore this ad. :P

Attachments

• ad.jpg
    ad.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 29
My Mum still has some of her old Biba clothes that she bought when she was younger. She still has some of their glitter and eyeliner, too, though I guess I probably shouldn't try and use eyeliner that's been around for decades... :P

liberty33r1b said:
do you know the names of some vintage sellers in london that might sell pieces from Biba? i've always wanted to actually see some clothing in reality, not just in magazines and books.
thanks for helping! :heart:
Try King's Road, down the street there are some great vintage/antique clothing shops, I've seen some amazing pieces there including stage customes worn by Elton John. Make sure to bring your cards cause the vintage pieces don't come cheap there.

i love biba... :wub:

this gorgeous dress is for sale on ebay right now, rather cleap too (about $60)...

d6_1_b.JPG
51_1_b.JPG
96_1_b.JPG
8c_1_b.JPG

I love the pics you all have posted, I adore Biba and all related to 60' and 70' fashion.
I looked for Biba clothes in London last summer, but I couldn't find a lot and it was so expensive!

impossibleprincess said:
more pics. It may be interesting to know that Anna Wintour worked in Biba at one time :lol:
love that shot of twigggy...
and that IS interesting about anna wintour...did not know that...
thanks...! :P :flower:

complexgeometries said:
Great thread. I've been looking for Biba pictures, but have had miserable luck. Thanks impossibleprincess and softgrey!

you're welcome complexgeometries ... :wink: :flower:

biba.gif
"
It was not so much a department store as a theme park devoted to elegantly wasted decadence."

Biba remains one of the most evocative names in British design history. Founded as a mail order business by Barbara Hulanicki in 1964, and soon expanding into its own retail premises, it pioneered a new style, mixing the contemporary with Art Nouveau, Art Deco and the golden age of Hollywood, dressing itself in the richly luxuriant colours of a bygone time. In the years up to its spectacular crash in 1975, it played a key part in making London the most fashionable city in the world. And in its final glorious incarnation in Kensington High Street, as the first new department store to open in the capital since the War, it created a potent myth that lives on even amongst many who never experienced it first hand.

Biba also brought the cutting edge of couture to the masses. Brigitte Bardot, Twiggy and Yoko Ono shopped there, whilst Sonny and Cher, Mick and Bianca, and David and Angie were regular visitors, but the store was never the exclusive preserve of the rich and famous: prices were kept deliberately low, and anyone who could tolerate the disdainful inefficiency of the staff was encouraged to soak up the glamour of a unique shopping experience.

Is anyone else absolutely obsessed with Biba? I'm so sad that i didn't get to experience this phenomenon, it hurts sometimes!!! I don't even think H&M will reach that iconic of a status...

More information can be found on these websites:

- www.thebibaexperience.com
- www.bibacollection.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
hi plumage...
we have a number of threads about biba...
i've merged your post with the most comprehensive one...

:flower:

I would have loved to shop at Biba, and it's so sad that vintage Biba is so expensive:cry:

Oh, that's so embarrasing. Can you delete my post, Softie? Clearly, it doesn't provide anything new...

Last edited by a moderator:
plumage19 said:
biba.gif
"
It was not so much a department store as a theme park devoted to elegantly wasted decadence."

Biba remains one of the most evocative names in British design history. Founded as a mail order business by Barbara Hulanicki in 1964, and soon expanding into its own retail premises, it pioneered a new style, mixing the contemporary with Art Nouveau, Art Deco and the golden age of Hollywood, dressing itself in the richly luxuriant colours of a bygone time. In the years up to its spectacular crash in 1975, it played a key part in making London the most fashionable city in the world. And in its final glorious incarnation in Kensington High Street, as the first new department store to open in the capital since the War, it created a potent myth that lives on even amongst many who never experienced it first hand.

Biba also brought the cutting edge of couture to the masses. Brigitte Bardot, Twiggy and Yoko Ono shopped there, whilst Sonny and Cher, Mick and Bianca, and David and Angie were regular visitors, but the store was never the exclusive preserve of the rich and famous: prices were kept deliberately low, and anyone who could tolerate the disdainful inefficiency of the staff was encouraged to soak up the glamour of a unique shopping experience.

Is anyone else absolutely obsessed with Biba? I'm so sad that i didn't get to experience this phenomenon, it hurts sometimes!!! I don't even think H&M will reach that iconic of a status...

More information can be found on these websites:

- www.thebibaexperience.com
- www.bibacollection.co.uk

Not obsessed with Biba, but my mother used to take me there on her shopping rounds. I wonder, if Anna Sui is Biba inspired.

I would avtually KILL for a Biba peice of clothing.
They were just so beautiful!!!
I heard they were re-launching the Biba line, does anyone know if this is true? I hope it will be better than the last attempt.

credit: WWD

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2006

Biba Reborn
By Samantha Conti

022306_54.jpg

Biba's Deb Dress.

LONDON — For more than a decade, it was the store in Swinging London where Hollywood stars, British royalty, schoolgirls and secretaries could buy everything from maxi-coats to cherry red lipstick to baked beans.

Biba was London's first post-war department store — and the precursor to Topshop — a temple of fast-and-cheap fashion that drew customers ranging from Princess Anne to Twiggy, Brigitte Bardot, Julie Christie and Sonny and Cher.

Mick Jagger was a fan of Biba style, and Keith Richards was even known to wear little Biba jackets onstage. The store boasted everything from a restaurant, The Rainbow Room, to a food hall to a makeup counter and children's toy shop.

Barbara Hulanicki, Biba's Polish-born founder, had begun her career as a fashion illustrator, for publications including Vogue, Tatler and WWD.

After designing clothes for mail order catalogues, she and her husband, Stephen Fitz-Simon, opened Biba in 1964. It was an instant hit, and helped pioneer the idea of shopping as a fun, social activity.

But the store, which closed 11 years later, was most famous for its fashion, a blend of Art Deco, Victoriana and Hollywood glam — and its racks of bow blouses and piles of platform heels and floppy hats. Now it's making a comeback.

The ready-to-wear line, designed by Bella Freud, will show in Paris starting Feb. 27. Shoes, which have already launched for spring; hats designed by Christine Bec; jewelry by Fiona Knapp, and a handbag range will also bow this season.

"It's a unique English brand, but in a Seventies rock 'n' roll sort of way," said Michael Pearce, chief executive of Biba and creative director of the brand. "The style is all about falling over drunk, in a gutter, looking great and wearing black nail polish."

For this first season, Pearce and his team have taken iconic Biba pieces and freshened them up. There's the maxicoat with the side buttons and funnel neck, the short corduroy trench, the Art Deco swirl-print tunic, the high-necked silk bow blouse and printed dresses with bell sleeves.

There are also tailored suits in three different silhouettes, the famous cloche and floppy hats that defined an era (think Bianca Jagger) and the Biba Boot, an over-the-knee number made from elasticized suede with a chunky heel.

Pearce, whose background is in streetwear and footwear distribution (he was the importer and distributor of Ugg boots in the U.K.), said he was amazed by the lingering affection for Biba that exists today.

"You see people's eyes go misty when you mention the name, and there is a much higher awareness of the brand in the U.S. than I ever expected," Pearce said over a morning espresso in his clean and modern offices in Westbourne Grove.

Pearce, who holds the worldwide license for Biba (which is still owned privately by a family in the U.S.) said he and the team didn't have a huge archive from which to draw, however.

"Most of the original Biba fabrics were cheap, and had been thrashed to pieces from so much wear. What survived has already been shopped out by designers. So, in the end, we relied on two serious private Biba collectors in London."

Rtw prices range from 300 pounds, or $525, for a dress to 600 pounds, or $1,050, for a coat. Shoes range in price from 250 pounds, or $438, for the Biba Boot to 500 pounds, or $875, for shoes that are hand-painted with a clutch of flowers and vines.

The shoe collection, which bowed for spring, sells at Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue, Linda Dresner, Jeffrey and Blake Chicago in the U.S. For fall, shoes are made from embossed velvets and leathers hand-painted in Romania by Romany gypsies.

Pearce is hoping buyers this season will embrace the entire collection — dangly, beaded costume jewelry and all.

"It's not like Gucci where you can just buy the bag. It's a 360-degree thing, and I think customers will want to embrace the whole Biba spirit."

Pearce has set his sights high for Biba, and the cheap fabrics and fast-fashion elements of the brand are gone forever. "Biba has the depth and authenticity to become a top, global brand in the premium sector," said Pearce. "It deserves to be in fashion's top league."

Hum ... I like BIBA and their concept .. I think its very unlikely that I've seen (or will see) a piece of it around here (such a shame!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->