Best mens leather jacket?

skunkindunks

Reaction score
so im looking to get the signature peice for my life. a go to anytime, great leather jacket. im not rich so i dont think i can spend that much. what do you guys think. i saw this great keanith cole biker type black leather jacket today for $550 but ive never been a huge fan of kenith cole. i love dior homme stuff but can affford any of it let alone a leather. any pictures. ideas, anything would be apreciated. thanks jonathan.
b9_12.JPG

ebay.com
fif=KC_446K2102_cc_to_blk.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=300&hei=300&rgn=0.0,0.0,1.00000000,1.00000000&lng=en_US&vtrx=1&cvt=jpeg

from kenithcole.com

In the price range you're talking about I would look at actual motorcycle jackets from suppliers like Vanson or aeroleatherclothing.com.

Depending on where you are, you may find good vintage jackets in thrift stores or at estate sales, but in most metropolitan areas (and definitely including New York) these are snapped up quickly and are probably going to be overpriced anyway.

the dior leather one posted is C-R-A-P. But I would say vintage as well.

I second Aero. Had one for 5 years and it still holds up very well.

Another good suggestion IMO are military reproductions of WW2 flight jackets. Right now I can only think of Buzz Rickson.

Rick Owens makes the best leather jacket hands down. the shape is amazing with his trademark super long sleaves and shorter back bodus. not to mention the material. there is a bomber this season that is made out of blistered lamb that is simply amazing. however i do caution that it will set you back around $2500. check out Rick Owens before you look at anything else.

blistered lamb? sounds intriguing... do you have a pic? :smile:

As a guy who has considered spending more than $1000 on "the signature" leather jacket for me I am really glad that I did not. The turning point was when I visited the Dior Homme NYC store and felt the quality of the leather on a brown jacket (it may even be the one you have pictured). It did not feel good. It felt like it would rip and snag very easily. Instead what I ended up doing was looking for vintage jackets on eBay and I must have gone through 8 to 12 different ones (I'd buy them and then sell them if I did not like them) and now I have two really nice slim cut ones that costed $150 or $200 TOTAL. And I KNOW that I will not see anyone else wear them on the street when I am out.

This is just a road to consider. I have inspected the Andrew Marcs and Hugo Boss leather jackets in department stores and have never been too impressed. Either the leather seemed too new and shiny or the leather was really nice but was cut way too bid (even in a size Small or XS).

I hope this helps and Best of luck and let us know what you end up purchasing! :D

thanks guys, i guess a dior homme leather seems out of the question. any other brands you guys would suggest for a really soft, slim cut leather jacket?

skunkindunks said:
thanks guys, i guess a dior homme leather seems out of the question. any other brands you guys would suggest for a really soft, slim cut leather jacket?

DO NOT buy anything by kenneth cole. Sh*t, you might as well piss away your money.

If you are willing to add a few hundred to your budget and give yourself time to hunt, you will significantly expand your options and may get an excellent piece that will last you a long time. By hunting I am talking checking sites like Ebay and yoox.com religiously, waiting for retail sales and going to discount stores like Century 21.

Here are my recommendations,

The classic Margiela biker jacket - he does them every season in different leathers and colors, and last season I was REALLY tempted by a blue suede version that was hanging at Jeffrey on sale for $850. They turn up on Ebay from time to time and go for anywhere from $700-900.

Here is a picture

590014262M_2.jpg

Rick Owens is a wonderful choice, but it's VERY hard to get them, and they are usually expensive even on sale. There is a seller on Ebay, Countesse, that has the one that I own for around $900 - and I am pretty sure you can bargain with her.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RICK-OWENS-...390899087QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The likes of Costume National and Neil Barrett make very decent leather, and they have a much wider circulation than margiela and owens.

^ i'd second that with the margiela- i've a short brown biker one from a couple seasons ago and its still on eof my faves..

I guess ill start my search. sounds like i have a nice list of designers to check out now. any others to look into? thanks again.

what about this one from spring / summer 06 by cloak, i like it.
00300m.jpg
men.style.com
anyone know price, availability? online stores? new york store? thanks. keep the advice comming. skunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
faust said:
Rick Owens is a wonderful choice, but it's VERY hard to get them, and they are usually expensive even on sale. There is a seller on Ebay, Countesse, that has the one that I own for around $900 - and I am pretty sure you can bargain with her.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RICK-OWENS-SUPER-LEATHER-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET-RO3755_W0QQitemZ8390899087QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
yay i have the same RO jacket and it looks great. I would choose something classical like Lewis Leather rather than Kenneth Cole, i mean if i am only allowed to buy within the budget.

Toro Art Studio said:
If you're looking for something more traditional, a little less Hedi and more Ennio Capassa, try : www.schottnyc.com
I strongly second this too. Schott make great leather jackets, and they were the ones who designed Marlon Brando's "perfecto" biker jackets in the first place. I have one and have to say I love it.

Btw the cloak piece would run $800-$1500, if you would like to consider the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myegotakesover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->