Best Release of 2005

Reaction score
Well the year is coming to a close, and a lot of fantastic records have dropped in it. Which do you think has been the most influencial? I think Sigur Ros- Takk was a masterpeice. So beautiful. Thats my choice.

^I completely agree. The best of 2005 indeed. Let's just hope they don't sell out and ruin everything for themselves.

i wasnt completely pleased with takk, i dunno why..it just didnt made me feel quite the same as with their previous works. but it's still a pretty good record, i reckon.

I'll come up with a very long list later :P but at the moment, La Foret pops up in my mind, it's amazing and it felt more intimate than other albums i've heard this year. also Cripple Crow. and Broken Ear Record..and Vashti Bunyan's Lookaftering is really beautiful as well :heart:, along with her collaboration with Animal Collective in Prospect Hummer. so many..definitely a good year. :D

cocorosie - noah's ark
ray lamontagne - trouble
the chalets - check In
the redneck manifesto - i am brazil
vashti bunyan - lookaftering

i don't have a clue.

edit: and regina spektor - soviet kitsch - only released here in 2005 :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself
:heart: :heart: :heart:

no if's and's or but's about it... my fave album this year^_^

My top 5...
takk... Sigur Rós
Cripple Crow Devendra Banhart
Get Behind Me Satan the White Stripes
Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire
La Foret Xiu Xiu

^ I was just going to mention the Andew Bird album. That would definitely be up there for me. I would also add Illinois by Sufjan Stevens. That's another one i can't get sick of. And Cripple Crow is divine as well, though i do hear some filler. :innocent:

I love this thread.

NOE said:
Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself
:heart: :heart: :heart:

no if's and's or but's about it... my fave album this year^_^

:woot: :woot: :woot:
I want this album so bad!!! Can you give me a mini review???- It's so hard to find in stores! :angry:

Cosette said:
My top 5...
Cripple Crow Devendra Banhart
Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire

Oh yes, I agree. :heart:

And, as bleuFunk said, Sufjan Stevens!

LoveMyBoots said:
:woot: :woot: :woot:
I want this album so bad!!! Can you give me a mini review???- It's so hard to find in stores! :angry:

My gosh I know, it's very hard to find:doh: I actually got mine as a uk import earlier in the year cause I just could not wait!

Anyhow, it's very similar sounding as her Frou Frou "Details" cd. Each song is fantastic (there's not one to skip over in the bunch). The sounds are just so neat (she beat on carpet tubes for a neat effect in 'clear the area'). It's my 'best in 05" b/c she wrote, produced, and even came up with all the artwork in the cd liner herself, which is why it's called 'speak for yourself'. She's the definition of Indie and she's just amazing.... I met her at the Hotel Cafe Tour this summer and she is even so darn sweet... couldn't adore her more!:D

Oh, it's on i-tunes now, so you can preview it there... or if you don't have i-tunes you can go to her website www.imogenheap.uk.co and find previews in the 'i-shop':flower:

^Thank you very much. I've been a huge fan of her for so long... I had no idea she was that involved with the album!

i raeally haven't listened to enough albums released this year to make a fair judgement on this, but i really really enjoyed cripple creek and come on feel the illinoise. also, lightning bolt's hypermagic mountain but it's not nearly the best of 2005, i don't think.............

i need more money so i can buy more music. :/

Minimum-Maximum [live] by Kraftwerk

I didn't listen to Takk because I find Sigur Ros kind of like Icelandic Coldplay played on a Yamaha keyboard...and I'm not into Icelandic Coldplay.

Good thread idea!

Cripple Crow; Devendra Banhart - Someone mentioned there being 'filler', but I don't think its filler as much as songs he was too attached to cut. I mean, look at the length of the album. Does it really need filler?!
Arular; MIA - Its so new and full and exciting... she's great live too!

Sadly,I haven't heard Takk yet...

Goldfrapp-Supernature
Roisin Murphy-Ruby Blue
Vive La Fete-Grand Prix
Kate Bush-Aerial

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloome
Back