Beyoncé partners with Topshop for activewear collection

honeycombchild

Reaction score
Beyoncé Knowles has partnered with Topshop on a new retail venture. The singer has formed a new 50-50 joint company with the London-based retailer, Parkwood Topshop Athletic Ltd, which will produce a line of sports leisure apparel and streetwear. But this is no Kate Moss-esque fashion collab...

“This not a collaboration. This is about building a brand and building a business — a separate, proper business, with separate overhead and a separate office," Topshop owner Sir Philip Green told WWD. "Basically, when she was in London in February we arranged to get together. We started talking generally, about doing something together. We’ve been looking at that [athletic] sector for a while. It’s something we need to be in. Based on what she does, how she works out, the conversation got into that category. We started getting into proper conversation in May or June, as to how it would work. It took six or eight weeks to put a deal together. On Friday, Beyoncé came to our office for the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle.”

It's believed that the first offering will be released for autumn/winter 15 and that Knowles will be very hands on in the design and production process. The singer has been pictured wearing Topshop pieces on many occasions and is known for her love of the brand. "I have always loved Topshop for their fashion credentials and forward thinking,” she says.

Green plans to hire a creative director to oversee the project, two designers - one with a fashion background, the other with technical sportswear expertise - as well as a new, entirely separate design team to be based in New York. A name for the fashion line has yet to be decided on ("We've been brainstorming about the name - we haven't got there yet," explained Green.)

According to WWD, the range will feature clothing, footwear and accessories across dance, fitness and sports categories and will be stocked in all Topshop's major outlets, as well as online at Topshop.com.

So, sold in Topshop stores, half owned by Topshop, but not to be considered a Topshop collaboration.

I can only dread the things that may come from this.

Let's hope mother Knowles doesn't provide any input. We remember those Destiny's Child outfits she used to make for them. Not to mention the House of Dorian, or as my friends call it, House of Doing-wrong.

She's been wearing Topshop like crazy, it was bound to happen. I was expecting a collab a la Kate Moss but this is much bigger than that. They'll have new designers on board that will constantly put out new pieces every season (so no Tina Knowles won't be a helping hand) and Beyonce will just co-pioneer the overall project and use Topshop's manufacturing to produce the garments and distribute them while she gives them an urban credibility.

Not a bad move on her behalf, street wear and athletic wear is becoming more and more prominent in the fashion world. Look at Alexander Wang's new collab with H&M, Givenchy closing it's haute couture and focusing more on sportswear, Chanel and Dior doing a bit of more sport in their RTW.

So basically she'll own about 50% of a company like "PINK" by Victoria's Secret while Topshop acts as VS. Oh yeah.... she'll also give Topshop more exposure in the USA and a gate top open more of their stores here. I'm sure she can snatch some of the players her husband's new athletic agency handles for the campaigns or just to be photographed in the clothing for every day use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope mother Knowles doesn't provide any input. We remember those Destiny's Child outfits she used to make for them. Not to mention the House of Dorian, or as my friends call it, House of Doing-wrong.
:lol::lol::lol:
You made me laugh so hard! let's hope that there would be a lot of shiny tacky fabrics or random cutouts for her collection

lmao i doubt Topshop would let her

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->