Bibhu Mohapatra F/W 09.10 New York

liberty33r1b

Reaction score
from wwd.com

Launching a luxury collection in these times may cause one to wince: Can retailers be enchanted enough to buck the budget and, if not, can the designer tough it out? In the case of Bibhu Mohapatra, one can only hope. The 35-year-old Indian designer is no rookie. While a student at F.I.T., he worked at Halston and, after graduating, joined J.Mendel, where he polished his skills for eight years; the last five as the house’s design director.

Mohapatra fits into the cult of luxury designers, favoring dressed-up styles that are at once ladylike and edgy with remarkable attention to construction and detail. “I find that women are best in looks that bring out both their natural beauty and inner self. It is intriguing to me to see that each one has an individual style and my goal is to contribute to and enhance that.”

In a collection of 20 looks, wholesaling from $280 to $9,000 for a mink coat, Mohapatra includes a smattering of separates along with coats, dresses and gowns, which, while cerebral in concept, have a romantic flair. Inspired by Frank Gehry’s floating effects and 18th-century Japanese warriors, the designer layers shapes to “protect and flatter,” not just decorate. A slender broadtail coat, for instance, has a cashmere draped back panel; an exquisitely pleated silk dress is anchored with drawstrings and stainless steel straps. And spare but no less beautiful are the Iris mink contoured coat and drapey short gray silk mousseline cocktail dress. Mohapatra faces a big challenge at the moment, but his sure hand positions him well.

biphu-mohapatra01.jpg
biphu-mohapatra02.jpg

Gowns are pretty beautiful and the shoes... Interesting.

I'm in love with this collection! Hope to see some of this on the red carpet as well!

oooh!!
The first dress, and the mustard one!
OH OH, and the midnight blue gown.
plus I want that last one with the sparkle.

xD

It's lovely, but it's nothing new and his label is unknown. I wish him luck

This collection is beautifully structured - there is a strong presence of shape, form, function. I was at the launch last night and editors and buyers were loving everything. He pays close attention to detail. The collection was styled by Lauren Santo Domingo. The models are Audra Callo (redhead) and Gigi from New York Model Management.

The looks are nice and cute as separate ideas, but I'm having trouble with the idea that this is all together a cohesive collection.

i like this collection...

he started out on his own after working 8 yrs in J.Mendel...so he is quite polished

I think we will see more of him

oooh!!
The first dress, and the mustard one!
OH OH, and the midnight blue gown.
plus I want that last one with the sparkle.

xD

the last skirt.....those are metal sequins wrapped in tulle....trust me I know it very well :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
dont like the shoes actually, the clothing is nice though in particular the mink - good luck to the designer

I've looked at this collection a few times now and I can't make my mind up on it.
The blue dress with the raised front? Do I like it?

I think it's verging more on the 'no' side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->