Black / African Hair Tips

aby, personally, i will put myhair in rod or reg rollers when its wet. i go under the dryer or sleep on it. it is amazing botticelli curls the next day.

Yeah, I usually do what's called "braidouts"---where you braid your hair and stick a roller on the end. I do this for looser curls/waves. Here's a pic of that for reference...

This is a braidout done on my now short hair. haha I swear by this during the cold months, and just when I'm sick of wetting my hair everyday. This can last me about 5-7 days.

l_63ed3812ee1f1c48da3bc3f7626137a7.jpg

Thanks for the reply Gia0202 & Cinnamon-toast!:flower:

It's that time of the season when I just don't know what to do with my hair anymore... One day, it's cold and wet, the other is dry and my poor hair can't keep up!

Edit: Thanks for the pics Cinnamon-toast. It's very inspiring!

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone else have this problem:
If i comb my hair out b4 rinsing out the conditioner, i lose ALL curl definition even after rinsing the conditioner out, drenching my hair.

do you think its cuz my hair is dry?

When you say that you lose curl definition, do you mean that it looks frizzy or that the curl pattern loosens up? If it's the latter, maybe the conditioner is weighing your hair down.

Wow Cinnamon_Toast! Your hair looks gorgeous-I might have to try that out and give my hair a break from the heat. It won't look as good on me though cos I never know how to style my hair when its in it's curly straight

cxinnamin , my hair s like yours--- but it hangs down more. thanks for the advice.

micheleiman-i just got an AMAZING blowput at medusa salon in parkslope, brooklyn. ask for anastasia. she is amazing. cost 55 for me (my hair is very thick and a lil past my shoulders) she is white--the whle salon is, but waay better than some dominican place. i also thin many of these black salons give you heat for going natural.

Thanks alot. I will stop by for a look this week.

This is what I look like when I started to sport a short cut:
http://www.lindsaygriffin.com/gallery/index.html

(I'm the black one:lol:).

^Wow, you're gorgeous!! :blush:
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I would love my hair to look like this:

viewimages

Attachments

• 51594242.jpg
    51594242.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 76733377.jpg
    76733377.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2
^I don't know who she is but her hair is indeed inspiring! I love the cut, length and the curls.

Thanks everybody for sharing their hair information. My question is what hair oils do you ladies put on your hair?

michele in that pic your hair looks like a buzz cut.

I pretty much was that, I got fed up walked into a barber shop and told him to cut it off. That was in September. Now it is longer, so I want to get it done differently one I take my braids out.

Yeah, I usually do what's called "braidouts"---where you braid your hair and stick a roller on the end. I do this for looser curls/waves. Here's a pic of that for reference...

This is a braidout done on my now short hair. haha I swear by this during the cold months, and just when I'm sick of wetting my hair everyday. This can last me about 5-7 days.

Woah, your hair look fab!! :blush:

my hair has been breaking since its soo dry. my hairdresser says my routine has too many proteins. I have noticed two other points.

when my hair isn't straight, its hard to distribute any oils through it.
all the hair that naturally sheds gets stuck/tangled instead of falling out when straight (more tangles, more knots/breakage when brushed)

do you think if i kept it straight (blownout) it might be better in the long run?

Gia, that's really hard to tell if the blowout is better but I feel I have the same issues.

I think I read somewhere that curly hair because of its shape tends to not be moisturized on the whole lenghth or something.

In my experience, my hair does feel more moisturized through and through when I keep it straight by blowing it out. But I think it depends also a lot of the kind of water you use, and the kind of weather you're under.

In the Paris area where I live, especially now in the winter, the water is very hard so unless if I use bottled water when I let my hair dry naturally it always feels and is dry, brittle.

Now, when I go to Africa or even during summer in France, if I let my hair air-dry, it's smoother, brighter and I can achieve "nice" curls or if I keep it straight it's just less of a hassle to manage.
I recently changed a bit my pre shampoo routine and I do a lot of oil deep treatment and I feel like it's working.

I use René Furterer Complexe 5 which has essential oils that helps activate the scalp blood circulation and I use an oil based treatment on the hair which contains olive, jojoba, avocado and some rare oils of Mongongo and Karanja (I didn't know about those before...). After rinsing it out, I shampoo and condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->