Blogger Jane Aldridge For Urban Outfitters

Status
Not open for further replies.
not at all. believe me, i dont mince words. i think your idea was a great one. i hope jane does share the process with us.

^ I know I wish she would come on here herself I feel like people are being really harsh on her (not just the shoes but Jane herself if you are going to criticize why not stick to the shoes)

I don't think she will. She hasn't explained much about the shoes on her blog besides the collaboration. People have asked of course, but perhaps Jane doesn't want dive into it since we all know where her inspirations came from...

you kids need a time out. if this thread doesnt ease up on the harassment babble i will start deleting and editing content unless it pertains to shoes, darn it.

I think its great she got this opportunity. The shoes are cute (yes, they are obviously inspired by her favourite shoes, but I highly doubt she would deny this) and I'd much rather bloggers got the opportunity than some random overstyled celebrity who knows little about fashion - because lets not pretend that if Jane (or another blogger) had not done this line that UO would have gotten a design student/'professional' to design a range, they would have got a celebrity to do it. The whole point of such collaborations is, to be blunt, attract sales and a well known name does this

I think some people on this thread have a case of the 'green eyed monsted' :innocent:

I don't understand why people are still going on and on about design students...
This is not about design, it's about making $$$. There are people all over the world who adore Jane and her lovely wardrobe. Most of these people are not as fortunate as Jane, so imagine how excited they are to be able to own a shoe inspired by Jane's style/favorite brands? It's not rocket science.

UO is not the only establishment banking on the blogging trend. Every major blogger with a distinct POV has been granted with numerous opportunities. Is anyone crying over the gigs The Sartorialist has with Conde Nast??? Or Susie Bubble's gig with Dazed Digital? People are giving Jane a tough time because she is living the good life. It is an age-old scenario, but atleast Jane has some style and taste. She isn't just some trendwhore with an infinite bank account. Blogging is the cheapest form of Marketing out there. If you can get one of these people to wear your article of clothing or endorse your brand/establishment, you will rake in millions... many of you need to take off the rose-colored glasses and look @ the facts... it's silly to think that the fashion industry is all about design & aesthetic. In an ideal world, that would be the case but in this life, most people want to keep their heads above water. Plus, it's just URBAN OUTFITTERS, people... it isn't Pierre Hardy or Nicholas Kirkwood... relax :lol:

I also think bringing up the family's income is poor taste. Again, they have money. They have never tried to hide or showcase this aspect of their lives. However, money does not equate style. 'Apeing her mother's style'??? What exactly are you trying to get at? She is inspired by her mother... like most people; how this equates into Jane having no style of her own is beyond me... it just seems petty and sophomoric to bring up such tasteless points. :innocent:

^I don't think anybody isn't aware that UO is doing this to earn $$$$ - people are just regretting it is that way.:wink:

I'm just surprised that people are so shocked and hurt by this scenario...
It's been going on for years and that doesn't necessarily make it 'right', but it truly the nature of the beast..

Maybe because it is very unlikely that Jane would wear knock offs (maybe it is part of the agreement that she has to wear her own shoes - could be, but knock offs are definitely not her style). Without being an expert in celebs I think that Paris Hilton as well as the Olsen twins do wear the shoes carrying their own name.

Having your name on something which you normally wouldn't touch just seems strange to me. Unless it is done for financial or pr purposes (from the "designer's" side).

These shoes are AMAZING.
I love them.
I really really hope she'll tell us more about the making process.
I'm astounded by her talent.

I just received August Vogue and the very last spread features both Jane and her mother. Great showcase on how mother and daughter interprets the same piece and incorporate it into their own style. No mention of her shoe line though. They both look beautiful!

as she is a TFSer I wish she could come here and talk about it .... like did she just chose shoes she love and they say well let's redesign it ???

but I think she's in Japan (no stalker, just a reader babes !)

though she's very nice as already mentionned and seem pretty smart ... I have to agree with that ....
because i think we seem to forget her style or kindness isn't in question here ... but her ability to design (though i think it's all fake ... see my first question ...)

c'mone it's not hate. everybody said they love her ! it's not cory kennedy we're talking about, there - though the story looks familiar !

but i don't understand ................................. and i'm really scared to be banned or hated for that ........................ why would she deserve that ?????? is she in a fashion school ??????? has she ever worked to be a shoe designer ? i always thought you had to work to deserve something ...

sending her good vibes too, anyway ......

it's just "sad" a girl who never ask anything is falling into the system ........
:unsure:

* hope i hadn't been too clumsy (?) *

How is a blog--a good one--not work?

The heels look good ... not crazy about the flat. Maybe it's the angle and the fact that it's not shown on the foot ...

As far as the inspiration, I would imagine the point was for Jane to be inspired by her well-edited collection? I haven't heard anyone complaining about Steve Madden ...

I am very happy for jane and her opportunity, but it also makes me very sad that the same opportunity is not passed to a design school kid who hasn't slept/eaten for days because they're working and MAKING their shoe collection for finals and such.

I don't really mind it all, but it's making it harder and harder for those who actually went to school to study the craft to have these opportunities...

IOW I don't agree with this if it robs someone else from a deserved opportunity, but if both Jane and "design student" got the same opportunity, this wouldn't be such a problem with most people.

I'm sure that someone who went to design school did work with Jane on this collaboration. IOW this collaboration created an opportunity for a trained designer.

^I'm pretty sure Steve Madden has received its fair share of lawsuits. If that's not complaint I'm not sure what is.:wink:

Don't like the shoes, don't buy them. This is UO after all, not exactly a bastion of originality. As for the her not-deserving-this argument... she no doubt got lucky but that fact doesn't justify victimising her.

^ What I meant was, I don't see anyone on tFS complaining about Steve Madden or any other lower-priced knockoff, until now. In fact we have a whole thread dedicated to tracing the relationships between lower-priced lines and the shoes they are knocking off ... not for the purpose of criticizing, for the purpose of buying the knockoffs and saving money.

I personally don't knowingly buy knockoffs, but I fully understand that not everyone has the $$$ for even one pair of designer shoes, whose prices have escalated sharply and shockingly in just the past couple years ... and again in the few years before that. And, even for some who do, their price resistance has kicked in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy for her.

As for the design students argument/etc: everyone has their moment and it's really up to them to seize it. Jane was just closer to her moment.

Meh, that's how I see it. lol

I for one think this is a great thing. She's a graceful, stylish, passionate young girl who gets to do what she loves, and, in fact, she might become really good at.

I had no idea who she was, until I stumbled across her blog like a month ago and was struck by how this girl actually seems to have style and taste (as opposed to most bloggers her age) - so I am not surprised to see she is the one getting this oportunity. In fact, it's wonderful someone passionate gets to do it, rather than some more major celeb...

^ What I meant was, I don't see anyone on tFS complaining about Steve Madden or any other lower-priced knockoff, until now. In fact we have a whole thread dedicated to tracing the relationships between lower-priced lines and the shoes they are knocking off ... not for the purpose of criticizing, for the purpose of buying the knockoffs and saving money.
I think there's actually quite a lot of us on tFS who don't like the idea of knockoffs, but simply choose to avoid the thread you mention and those like it.

I've been following this tread with some interest, and I have to say, I object to the way it's being moderated. In particular I'm disappointed to see that nanker_pheldge's original posts - which may have been critical yet were articulately argued and in no way constituted a personal attack on the blogger in question - have been deleted. Meanwhile, posts that could arguably be construed as inappropriately personal (i.e. calling her "spoiled," or refering to her family's income) remain. Very badly done, imo. I know that tFS isn't meant to be the last bastion of free speech or anything, but come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"