Body Shape: Pear, hourglass or petite

I am such a pear. I don't even have to take measurements to see it... rachelbojangles - we have similar body types!!! I always have to wear loose tops to cover up my flatness.

Does anyone know any good toning exercises for the butt? Preferably to make it not stick out so much?! :D:D

^ We have very similar body shape annd i have that same dress lol if it's the one from American Apparel! I'm a pear shape but i don't have particularly wide hips, just a rear end that sticks out a lot and 32 inch B chest. I wish i was more hourglass though, my friend is proper hourglass with long legs and she looks amazing.

yep. love those dresses for going out at night to bars/clubs. I also have the 2-tone blue one. They make my shape look amazing. I have a Victoria's Secret push-up bra to give some sort of symmetry between my hips and boobs. I try to create more of an hourglass shape.

well my measurements (30-25-30) make me an hourglass, but I'm not particularly curvy, so I look a bit straight-up-and-down...

Squats, pilates and stairsteppers.

I am such a pear. I don't even have to take measurements to see it... rachelbojangles - we have similar body types!!! I always have to wear loose tops to cover up my flatness.

Does anyone know any good toning exercises for the butt? Preferably to make it not stick out so much?! :D:D

^Aren't those supposed to make your butt even larger though? :(

I don't know what I am. I just ate so my waist measurement is different than what it can be, and I don't know how much clothes can affect them, but I just measured myself with them on and I'm a 30-25-33 :unsure:

Shape Guide

i think this website is helpful for ideas and thinking about what options you have BUT i don't believe in having so many set rules to what you can and can't wear. there is definitely a lot of variety within each type of body shape so it all depends on what you want to emphasize.

for example, some style guides discourage the emphasis of hips on Pears but i loveee it because i love curvy hips on girls.

going by measurements for body shape is helpful to steer in the right direction but overall i think just looking in the mirror (lol) and seeing how you are proportioned is the best bet. two girls with the same measurements can still look pretty different because measurements don't really account for how narrow or wide they look from the front or side. or their bust or tushie.

^that's true.. not to mention material makes a big difference, not just the cut

And like you said, sometimes these guides seem to want to steer you in a somewhat universally accepted standard, when sometimes one might like to emphasize the hips

An hourglass figure on a petite frame.

It is not impossible for petite women to have an hourglass shape. My bust and hip measurements are exact and my waist is narrow enough for my figure to be easily determined. =)

There seems to be a lot of confusion around what constitutes an hourglass figure, so I just wanted to clarify that when someones bust is 34DD, like coolsista19 and I have, that means the circumference is around 37-39" depending on the curve of your rib-cage (if it is straight, not tapered it will yield a lower bust circumference.). So going by her measurements she is an hourglass, but she could still look like a pear if she had a combination of a flat butt, wide hips and narrow shoulder. An hourglass tends to have shoulders and hips that are vertically aligned.

I always argue that an hourglass shape depends a lot on how wide the shoulders are, because they are what is visually balancing out the width of the hips. Wide shoulders - small waist - wide hips = hourglass. You can have a large bust but if you also have narrow shoulders, that's not going to visually balance out wider hips in the same way.

^ yeahh, my measurements put me at hourglass but i agree that shoulders are important too.

i go through phases where i sometimes dislike the width my shoulders but it does make me look more hourglass, regardless of how my buhbies/bust are looking in whatever top/outfit i'm wearing. i think it also makes my waist definition more obvious so overall i'm okay with my shoulders.

eizhowa, i agree, i usually take in the account the bust measurement rather than the bra size. and bra size is a whole 'notha beast of a topic because of lot of women wear the wrong size...i see too many women tugging at loose bra bands.

i'm extremelly petite. 4'11" and i don't know my exact measures, but i'm a 32B (sometimes 34), my waist is clearly narrow (uncommonly narrow, it's like a family thing cuz my sister's waist is even more narrow than mine) i don't know about my hips but they aren't really wide... so i guess i'm some sort of hourglass or a really not noticable pear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->