Bouchra Jarrar Named Women’s Designer of Lanvin

What does concern me is that the design and/or quality might suffer now she has to present these large-scale Maison productions instead of her little insanely well cut and constructed boutique shows.

It would be beautiful if, instead of stretching herself to become the enormous Lanvin, she reshapes Lanvin to become her, and we see a more intimate production.

Somehow she is going to have to reinvent Jeanne Lanvin's signatures of full skirts and embellishment (in her own minimal style) and try and ignore the sublime Elbaz years.

If I see jewels, ribbons or frayed edges I will be highly disappointed.
Absolutely agree! I would love to see her make Lanvin feel intimate and personal. It would be so novel for such a - relatively - large fashion house. Not that Alber's Lanvin was impersonal, but it was glossy and bubbly and big, and it'd be smart for Bouchra to find a new way to define the house.

I look forward to what she will do. I hope that she's given lots of creative control to come up with a new look and feel for both the clothes and the marketing.

I loved what Alber did at Lanvin, but change is good, and I'm glad they've given the position to someone with talent and a voice that is unique.

very exciting news, i can't wait to see the resort collection by her

I concur ! She is a nice choice. I think she will respect the heritage, she really fits a house like this. But I can't wait to see how she will give a glimpse of her personality.

I've paid so little attention to her collections that I don't know what to think -- I've always found her work dull and unoriginal, but not hideous for what that's worth. With the economical backing that Lanvin will provide it will be interesting to see if her talent can flourish more. I think her clothes have always hinted at that womanly sexuality that Lanvin is famous for, so it seems like a smart pairing.

I'm not a fan of her couture collections and her r-t-w too, for example s/s 16 as a lookbook , is also not my favorite.
Some Couture pieces in her all Couture collections were good but sincerely it was for me more on the ready-to-wear level.
But Bouchra is perfect for Lanvin. And, yes, with economical potential wich Lanvin has , she will have a possibility to show what she can.

Here is the quote from one "old" article" , Bouchra did the clothes for ret carpet yet, it is one more point for her, she is fit for Lanvin , and after last show in Paris which was a big disaster, they must hire a creative directore :

Source: vogue.com

PARIS, October 1, 2015
by Nicole Phelps

Tatiana Maslany, the Canadian star of Orphan Black, wore an ivory Le Smoking by Bouchra Jarrar to the Emmys last month. Admittedly, there wasn’t much in the way of competition, but she was easily among the chicest women at the ceremony, elegant where other actresses looked try-hard or just plain wrong. It’s nice to see Hollywood waking up to Jarrar’s red carpet potential; she’s putting a new emphasis on dress-up clothes at her couture shows. For ready-to-wear, presented in her premier arrondissement atelier, which is becoming increasingly crowded as the seasons progress, she’s focused on a more everyday kind of elegance.

Bouchra Jarrar on Her Lanvin Appointment: “I Am Very Happy to Arrive After Alber; He Is Someone Who I Fully Respect”
Lanvin named Bouchra Jarrar its new artistic director of women’s collections today, replacing Alber Elbaz, who was ousted last fall after 14 successful years at the label. Jarrar, an alum of Balenciaga and Christian Lacroix Couture, has spent the last six years years running an eponymous brand for which she produced two haute couture collections and two ready-to-wear collections a year. A hands-on creator, she likens herself to Jeanne Lanvin, who launched her company in 1889 when she opened a millinery shop on Paris’s Rue Boissy d’Anglas. Jarrar is shuttering her own line to dedicate herself fully to Lanvin, and the gig starts this Monday.

She spoke with me via phone from Paris this afternoon, where she spent the day receiving congratulations and meeting with members of the Lanvin atelier.

You’re back at a heritage brand for the first time since 2010. Where will the ideas be coming from, the archives or your head?
I’m going to try to learn a maximum of information, but I’m going to bring my own vision. The idea is to be informed by the archives, but not to take too much from them because I want to feel free. I need to keep my own sensibility and keep it free of constraints.

When we see your first collection in September, will it look recognizably Bouchra Jarrar or will it have a new flavor?
I have no idea! What I know is that I was chosen by Michèle [Huiban, Lanvin CEO] for what I represent. Lanvin will give me total freedom and my own space. For sure, you will find me through what I’m going to deliver for Lanvin.

You specialize in tailoring. Alber Elbaz, your predecessor, was more focused on cocktail and evening. What’s your route forward?
I really want to propose a global wardrobe for women by working, of course, on the daywear, but I will have the pleasure also to work on evening and long dresses. What is fantastic for me is to be working with the in-house atelier, to work with them each day. I’m going to work on wonderful flou.

You didn’t do a lot of bags and shoes at your own label—how do you feel about the prospect?
In my house I was totally dedicated to ready-to-wear by choice. By joining Lanvin and covering the whole women’s universe, I am very happy to focus attention on accessories. I’m happy to extend my space, because here I will be helped, I’ll have a staff. The support Lanvin is offering was really important in this choice. Lanvin is giving to me the means, in terms of human resources and financial support, to give the possibility to express my own creativity. That’s why it’s a great choice for me.

Within the studio, there was a lot of dismay and people were quite upset about how Alber left. How are you handling that?
I met them this afternoon. I’m here with a vision, I’m here to work with my own freedom. It will be my organization.

Who is the Lanvin customer? How do you understand her?
Très real. The Lanvin woman has a real life. I would like to give a sense of freedom, liberty, and contemporary elegance, with a casual yet chic touch.

I remember seeing the Lanvin exhibition about a year ago. A long ivory bias-cut dress from the ’30s stood out for me. Do you have any favorites from the Jeanne Lanvin period?
Yes, the first thing is her modernity. I was seduced by her modernity, her contemporary vision. She was a real creator on her own. She created on her own everything. It’s exactly the way of working that I do. Very hands-on. That’s a strong common point between her and me.

Will you be maintaining your own couture line, then? And what about Mauboussin, the jeweler you signed on with?
No, I’m very happy to be fully dedicated to Lanvin. The choice to join Lanvin and be fully dedicated, it’s a real evolution. It’s not a stop and start. It’s in my own way. As for Mauboussin, there will be a presentation in July, but just one and that’s it.

What has the reaction been in Paris?
Incroyable. I received a lot of congratulations—from the CEO, clients, suppliers, a lot of journalists. La Fédération de Couture. And friends and family. There is a kind of unanimity around this news, and I’m very impressed by it. Only positive energy and comments. I’m surprised and moved.

A busy summer, then?
It’s fabulous for me. I like my work. My work is to create, and I’ll have a wider space to create. It’s simply great.

What about the Resort collection? Will you be working on it?
I’m starting on the pre-co next Monday. I’m going to bring one vision for Lanvin, in which I’m going to talk to a lot of different women. I want to open Lanvin, that’s key for me. I’m going to bring accessibility, desirability for a lot of different women.

About Alber . . .
I am very happy to arrive after Alber; he is someone who I fully respect, and I find it elegant to arrive after him.
vogue

Exciting news for once! Choosing talent over flashiness. Hope this gives her the platform to put out some grounded and desireable clothing that is much needed in this phase of oversized, conceptual garbage that is everywhere now.

I like the interview. However, she seems to be far more of a class act that those who run Lanvin, so I wonder what that bodes for the future. I'm somewhat sorry to see she's shuttering her own line; not that I was a huge fan, but it does seem like giving up some independence.

It does seem appropriate that a woman would succeed Alber, since he was focused on women themselves--très real as she says--as so few male designers do. (Really I can't think of a woman designer who does this as well as he did, because he was thinking of many women, another phrase she used.) I have been on the verge several times lately of starting a discussion about how women so often are treated as aesthetic objects in fashion. We were never that to Alber, and whatever this designer may do, I don't think she will ever take that approach to women either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't familiar with her work but I looked it up and it's quite good so i'm happy with the decision.

A First Look at Bouchra Jarrar’s Lanvin

Bouchra Jarrar, the new artistic director of women’s collections at Lanvin, is in New York this week quietly showing her debut offering for Resort to the American department stores that have long stocked the French brand, designed for the previous 14 years by Alber Elbaz.

Jarrar had just two months to work on the collection, which includes ready-to-wear, shoes, handbags, and jewelry. It’s a much expanded purview from what she did at her eponymous label, launched in 2010, but at a breakfast meeting at the Mercer Hotel this morning, Jarrar was calm and focused, betraying no anxiety about stepping into the shoes left vacant by the well-loved Elbaz.

Back in January, shortly before her last couture collection for her house, which she is shuttering, Jarrar expressed interest in the open spots at Paris’s top design houses. Now that the Lanvin job is hers, she’s setting about building Lanvin’s new “vocabulary,” a word she used frequently during our meeting. Followers of her eponymous label will recognize Jarrar’s clean, minimal lines in the preview pics published here, but the use of such vivid color and romantic floral prints (of orchids, lilacs, and pansies) are both new.

“There was no brief,” Jarrar said. “It’s an open page, and that was important for me.” Still, she’s started out with the basics, pieces she identified as a trench, le tailleur, la robe, and flou, or draping. “Daywear is really important for the house,” she began. “Also to bring my own vision to cocktail and evening, with a sensibility of the 1930s. In that period, the wardrobe and evening dresses were very simple, very pure. It’s a balance between how to be elegant and décontracté—cool or relaxed.”

A silk foulard and a crisp blue cotton poplin button-down feature a logo Jarrar found in the archives. “Jeanne Lanvin always worked on the logo. It was a kind of tribute to her that I wanted to do.” If the fact that Lanvin’s founder was a woman holds resonance for Jarrar, her process is not like that of other female designers who say they make what they need and want for themselves. “It’s not for me; it’s for all women,” Jarrar says of her approach chez Lanvin. “I understand the power of clothes. It’s why I give a lot of attention to proportions; I like to optimize them. I want women to be beautiful, that’s my job.”

Jarrar says there are plans to show the Resort collection during the July couture shows in Paris. A Spring runway show is also in the works; it will be in a new venue and on a different day than it has been in recent seasons.
vogue

Very Bouchra, very parisian in a way as well but most importantly it looks very feminine and chic. Really looking forward to her debut even though I'll need time to process that this is Lanvin.

Look 4 and 5 are flawless! She's perfect for the job, can't wait to see more.

The quality of design is good; the suit is my least favorite look. I see zero commonality between the old and the new, and perhaps that's for the best. The sandals look pretty awkward, but I suppose that's a thing now, a la Celine.

^^^ Same. The Brooks Brothers suit and sandals don't fit in with the lean, mean, sharp elegance of the others. And I’m glad she’s not trying to keep up with Alber, but I’m also hoping there will be more textures and colors.

Agree, fashionista and Phuel...
certainly bears no resemblance to Alber's but still, it is definitely no nonsense, super sleek.

i actually like the mannish suitings, it is like a lady can be donning those sharp jackets in the day and change into the dresses in the night. Glad there are no floral prints or bright pink hues here a la the Chloes or Valentinos of the world。。)

this is perfection indeed.

That accent of green pumps are a nice touch. I think she's getting into her own groove and giving her 1 or 2 seasons, she would be able to blend her aesthetic with the colorful Elbaz's Lanvin. Definitely, much better than that awkward collection in between.

Fabulous blouses and the green pumps. First Look is my favorite.
The rest little bit boring for me but it is really beautiful, the Evening Wear is very feminin. The black one, second , Looks, is very glam.
Surely, it will be a beautiful r-t-w. Jarrar does Couture, would it mean that we can see Lanvin Show in HC Shedule one day,i would like!
( If Vetements will Show Collection during HC why one House such Lanvin is, can't present the HC collection!?!)

It's beautiful, sharp and chic...maybe too conventional.
Lanvin has been something quite special for the last 14 years. It's to see something as "common" at Lanvin.
Alber's designs were more or less practical but they were so seductive that women found a way to make them a part of their lives.

It looks like what Phoebe did for Celine in 2011-2012..and i and many women have already that in our closets.

I'm waiting for the presentation during couture week...

I agree, it's a bit ordinary for me. You can't deny that these are beautifully crafted clothes and that the fabrics speak for themselves, but if these five photos are an indication of what the show is going to look like then I don't think it's going to be very exciting.

I like it. It is ordinary but it's undeniably better than the Pre-Fall and F/W collection.

It's not gonna out-do what Alber's Lanvin was but it's still alright. i want to see the whole thing though, i'm sure there's more looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->