Breast Baring

saad

Reaction score
i didnt know where to post this so i thought this was the best place...

:shock: :shock:

Study: Breast Baring Popular in 1600s
By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

May 17, 2004 — Women of the 1600s, from queens to prostitutes, commonly exposed one or both breasts in public and in the popular media of the day, according to a study of fashion, portraits, prints, and thousands of woodcuts from 17th-century ballads.

The finding suggests breast exposure by women in England and in the Netherlands during the 17th century was more accepted than it is in most countries today. Researchers, for example, say Janet Jackson's Super Bowl baring would not even have raised eyebrows in the 17th century.

Angela McShane Jones, a lecturer in history at University of Warwick in Coventry, England, became interested in the subject while studying the nearly 2,000 woodcut ballads housed in the Samuel Pepys collection at Cambridge University. Additional ballad sheets located at the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, Harvard University, and other institutions fuelled her study.

Ballad sheets served as the pop music and pulp fiction of their time. With a cost between half a penny and a penny, they were affordable, and could be purchased from street hawkers, and at fairs and markets. Most featured a woodcut that illustrated 10 to 14 verses of song.

Jones told Discovery News that the ballad depictions of women coincided with popular fashion. At the time, women often wore low-cut dresses that exposed the chest and breast.

In paintings, breast exposure could have symbolic meaning, particularly when only one breast was shown. Jones explained that high court ladies often were painted in allegories as classical figures or as female saints, whose martyrdom usually involved breast removal.

Far from being a sign of tawdriness, Jones said breast exposure during the 1600s could indicate a woman's virtue.

"The exposure of the breast was a display of the classical and youthful beauty of the woman — she was showing her 'apple like' unused Venus breasts," Jones said. "This was a display of her virtue, her beauty, and her youth. Upper class women maintained the quality of their breasts by not breast feeding their children and passing them on to wet nurses."

She added, "Though women outside the upper circles may well have taken to this style, it began as a very high-class fashion which demonstrated high class and classical ideals of female beauty. The husband of a woman dressed like this would be proud to have his classical beauty on display, and for a woman it was part of her honor that she could display her virtue in this way."

Jones believes the trend probably started with Agnes Sorel, who was a mistress in the French court during the 1400s. The fashion spread, and was popularized in England by Queen Mary II and Henrietta Maria, the wife of King Charles I. In fact, the famous British architect Inigo Jones designed a dress for Henrietta Maria that fully revealed her breasts.

Bernard Capp, professor of history at the University of Warwick, agrees that breast exposure was prevalent, and not scandalous, during certain periods of British history.

Capp said during these times, "Revealing attire — worn in the right social spaces — could be fully compatible with virtue and honor."

He added that some conservatives and court outsiders, such as the 17th-century Puritan lawyer William Prynne, objected to the popular clothing, which female actresses often wore.

Capp said Prynne once criticized Henrietta Maria after she performed in a court masque, and in 1633 wrote, "... women actors (are) notorious whores."

The government responded by having his ears chopped off.

Breast-displaying fashion had a number of comebacks in the 18th and 19th century, including during the Victorian era. Jones said during many of these bust-baring periods it would have been shocking for a woman to show her shoulders or legs, which were more associated with male sexuality.

"I think that parts of the body are sexualized and desexualized for a whole range of reasons," she said. "The breasts have become a part of the body which is seen as entirely sexual, but that could change again."

i dont see why women cant show their breasts now, they are not sexual organs. its just another equal rights battle we'll never win.

Originally posted by sashatheelf@May 25th, 2004 - 9:42 pm
i dont see why women cant show their breasts now, they are not sexual organs. its just another equal rights battle we'll never win.
You've said it :ninja:

I don't expecially want to walk around with my boobs hanging out, so the no-boobs out in public except for artistic purposes idea works for me.

They're secondary sexual characteristics...I don't think it's an issue of equality - both men and women would complain if women went around with bare chests...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 25th, 2004 - 9:57 pm
They're secondary sexual characteristics...I don't think it's an issue of equality - both men and women would complain if women went around with bare chests...
If it happened tomorrow, then yes... but if we weren't conditioned to think it is inappropriate then with time people would only consider it as improper as saying God when you're surprised :innocent:
IMO of course of course

This applies to just about everything though...with social conditioning humans will quite happily murder (Nazi de-sensitisation of doctors, US army de-sensitisation of troops culminating in My Lai, etc, etc...).

I have a long standing conviction that you're not even a thousandth as nasty as you make out, strawberry...and vox Prince, vox Dei.

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@May 25th, 2004 - 4:50 pm
And that's another day's work..
:clap: ...let's hear it for the feminine feminist!!!............. :flower:

Today, two girls ran through my school topless. I missed. Oh well. All the 11 year old kids were amazed. And so was every single other warm blooded male :innocent:

Back somewhat to the original topic- one of the women mentioned supposedly had the most attractive breasts ever and thus walked around with both of them exposed. Later, she supposedly smartened up a bit to the excessive showing off and took to bearing only one. :blush: Um I'm a bit rusty on my history.

I don't know if it is the fact that I was raised in europe and near a beach for the most part and exposed to women topless on the beach that makes me rather okay with breasts but I really don't see the big deal if its in an appropriate situation (ie beach, etc.) I can't tell you how many times I've been jelaous of men who can whip off their shirt while I sweat through mine (i know you wanted to know that....) but I highly doubt that this will ever change.

Also, on this note, I am too small to really need a bra and would prefer to never wear one but people are so damn uptight about breasts that I feel forced to wear one lest anyone get a hint of the fact that I've decided to go without- I don't think its a big deal but alas....

They also wore breeches in the 1700 century that were so tight, they left nothing to the imagination. Russian courtiers. They had to put them on wet. Imagine that...

i dont wear a bra anymore except to school (which is over in 2 days! :flower: forever!) anyway, i find it much more comfortable, even though everyone and their grandpa is staring at my chest, which i wish they wouldnt, theyre just breasts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->