Geisha

i just want to revive this thread since i have been looking at traditional japanese costume lately...

i found out recently that there is such a thing as a 'kimono stylist'...
a person you can hire to do your OBI for you....
there are SO many different ways to do it apparently...
and all these different pieces of fabric you can add to different effects..
it's beyond complicated...:P

:woot:

^ I remember a few years ago I was researching kimonos for a design project I was doing. There's all kinds of training for dressing someone in a traditional kimono, since you really can't do all of it on your own stylists are a must, there are so many layers and pads and ties. It's amazing really, kind of like the Eastern version of corsetry.

Needless to say my love affair with kimonos is far from over :heart:

I can't believe I've never seen this thread.

Scouring through my saved files I found some stuff....

flair-1004-dakyoto-01.jpg

flair-1004-dakyoto-06.jpg

flair-1004-dakyoto-02.jpg

ziyifilms.com, style.com, zothike.com, daviddownton.com and jedroot.com

^ I love the four photos in the middle.
Do you know who the photographer is?

Yes, those were by Paolo Roversi for US Vogue, a special feature on Memoirs of a Geisha.

^ Thanks. :flower: That's what I thought.
Do you happen to know which issue it was?
I adore Roversi's work and I love geishas so I'd love to find the complete ed.

It's Dec 2005, here's the last image and some larger scans.

castingaspell_bwprgl03.jpg

castingaspell_bwprgl01.jpg

castingaspell_bwprgl04.jpg

claire.belliard.free.fr

Great to see this thread moving! :flower:

I always thought traditional Japanese outfits were the epitome of beauty. The idea of geisha is nothing close to being sl*tty. Rather, the role of geisha is honorable, and it's really pleasing to see beauty being a part of that honor. ^_^

Most of you know I'm very fascinated with Japan. I was thinking about geishas a bit earlier on Friday. Geishas make lovely hostesses and even entertainers. Style-wise, I best think of these certain hairstyles or wigs and faces painted in white (is it powder applied to their faces?). The shorter hairstyles can be very nice.

I think lovely hair and bold (yet stylish) kimono robes to be the striking point of geisha style. Nothing fascinates me with Oriental Asian fashion than sakura (cherry blossom) designs. The classic Asian garment I always envision is a red Mandarin dress with sakura designs on them. Most traditional East Asian fashion have a unique way of using lovely patterns without really overkilling them. In addition to lovely patterns, they are intricately detailed. Let it be known that I love Japan as my favorite country other than my native country. I think of geishas as angels from Heaven for being good hostesses and looking very lovely. I also feel glad knowing that fashion designers have taken cues from these Asian garments and designs to bring Asian style closer to home.

I love those kanzashis (Post #123). I'm spellbound by the lovely design on those kimonos as well. This is truly lovely.

I really love the look of a haori worn with western clothing. In the more expensive vintage ones, the detail in the fabric is truly amazing. The cut of the sleeves is so dramatic and the drape of the heavy silk is lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->