Geisha

not all asians have brown eyes. i know someone full korean with green eyes. it's just genes.

Elegance.Is.Refusal. said:
^^^ the character actually has grey eyes and this is explained in the book... i think its because she has to much water in her personality which shows through her eyes.

hope i explained that ok:flower:

Yeah, thats exactly right.:wink:
Great book aswell, loved it:heart:
^_^

i love geisha culture, i have since i was a child. i dont think they are 'backwards' or anything. its a tradition, and sadly its dying out. their fashion is stunning, and im suprised we dont have more influence from it in fashion right now, seeing as everything japanese is becoming popular

its their choice to be geisha, just like its a woman's choice if she wants to stay home and have 12 kids. its not 'backwards' its a choice.

do you think with the movie coming out that the japanese/geisha look will come in? I never wore the frog collar/silk shirts and dresses that were in style a few years ago (and you can still find in abundance at chinese and japanese shops) but I really love painted silk skirts.

What cultural japanese styles do you think are relevant to american style today?

You Want an Asian Trend? It COULD Happen...

I don't claim to be a movie person, but I assume you're talking about "Memoirs of a Geisha," or whatever it's called, right?

Here's my thing. Being a young man, I've seen my share of ladies in all sorts of attire and cues. Everything from Bohemian to some other trend are usually inspired by two things- media or some common events. It may be possible that someone will try to cash in on the Japanese trend. Personally, I love to study Japan. I like Asian accents. Probably the only thing that may be popular are Asian-inspired fashions ranging from sakura tree prints, to all that stuff. If people wanted to REALLY go crazy with Japanese (much less Asia along the Pacific Ocean) accents, they'd sort of try to make hakama pants popular on women. Hakama pants are like these full pants that look like a skirt. They are usually worn by martial artists practicing stuff like Aikido, Bushido, Kendo, and that sort of thing. Kimonos are already in American fashion. But in the sense of traditional kimonos, probably not as popular. Silk kimonos with dragons and stuff will likely have to be ordered from certain websites.

Outside of traditional Japanese accents, some may go for just the Oriental deal. There are many options, especially among ladies. Vietnam has Ao Dai (pronounced like "oh yai," since I don't think "D" sounds are too good), which is like a very long tunic with open sides. Usually, silk pants are worn to accomdate the look. I've seen a few Vietnamese ladies with Ao Dai outfits, and they are lovely. A more risqué option would be to make China's Cheongsam and Qi Pao dresses more commonplace as well. Why risqué? It is because many Qi Pao dresses have very high slits on the sides. I've read that they are pretty much acceptable Chinese fashion meant to elegantly show the legs of its wearer. Could be field day for some American designers to come up with their own ideas.

I think this MAY spark sort of a trend. I'll give it a 60% chance at best. The movie has to be good, fashion admirers will have to like traditional Japanese and Asian fashion, and basically just have a certain following to induce a trend. Then with a trend, how long will it last? With all the silk stuff Japanese people wear in traditional dress, this could be a bonus as it can help keep us warm while it's cold in many places. So, I'd guess you'd say that if there is a trend, this would be great timing.

JP_MHDec05_05.jpg

I think this kimono style top will be the extent of it.

[portmans.com.au]

thanks for putting my post in the proper thread. i tried to search last night but kept getting a disconnect on my end (using someone else's computer). i wasn't sure if there was already a discussion on this or not.

Yes, I was meaning Memoirs of a Geisha. I can't wait to see it for the visuals alone. I read the book when it came out.

this isn't a movie about geishas, but for those of you who want to see one of the most breathtaking movies with incredible costumes i'd highly recommend akira kurosawa's film "dreams".

...kimono tops have been popular with my friends for a long time now. So, I dont think there will be a huge change to happen anytime soon. Not to mention that most of my friends refuse to see the film...
:innocent:

Interesting...

In terms of kimono tops, I've seen kimonos with very full and vertically-long sleeves. I think if kimono tops were actually like kimonos, this would be a nice twist to the traditional kimono. Just add some Japanese-style accents (my favorite is sakura (cherry blossom) accents), and I like the look. For an example of kimonos with vertically-long sleeves, take a look at the traditional Japanese garb at this website:

http://www.kyotokimono.com/

Something like the haori jacket or hakama pants would be great ideas for fashion designers to try to offer a nice look to their potential customers. I think if done right, Japan's beauty can come to you without having to go to Japan. Maybe not Haori and hakama together, but there are some possibilities. Then again, since we have high-waisted pants and jeans (which I wonderfully dislike on ladies), the look of wearing hakama pants up front and a kimono would really make a nice Japanese look. Some children and teenagers wear hakama and a kimono top to school in Japan. Sort of imagine a look like this coming home...

In Visual Kei bands Geishaesque and traditional Japanese styles are common. Of course they have modern twists, but pretty neat. The best example I can think of is the Jrock band Kaggra,. They're one of my favorite bands (*points to avatar* xD) and not only do they have fantastic music, but they have many, many shinto, buddhist and Hein influences in their style of dress and music. Picture time!!

kagrra01.jpg
02.jpg
5gii.jpg
01.jpg

the way they r dressed is sooo interesting..i really like it n they way they tuck their hair like that is a fashion on its own dont u think?
i love the pout.its soooo nice and dolly like

Pout? Haha, no, he sort of always looks like that...very pouty guy, I guess. And the hair thing... All goes back in Japanese history. They just revive it and make it sexy... :wink:

A very beautiful Kimono wore by Gong Li for Memories of a Geisha, as scanned from Vogue

i think the geisha trend has been quietly in vogue for a while and i have been a fan, almost too much, i had to cut back on the japanese love a lil cause it was starting to get cheesy and too "hip", i do have a vintage kimono and obi my best friend bought me for my birthday but i feel its too special to wear casually, i do carry a fan in the summer and would like to get a parasol too, i also wear flowers in my hair on occassion which i guess i wear to look more billie holiday but with certain outfits it looks vintage japanese

the key to this look is to only do one or two geisha elements at a time or you look very costumey

anybody else have ways they incorporate this look into their everyday style???

i just ordered a white leather obi style belt from my job, so excited to wear it with dresses and blouses

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->