Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

Bruce Springsteen in concert ( Amsterdam june 2008) - celebutopia.

Bruce Springsteen performing to support Obama (5/10/2008) - celebutopia.

66th Annual Golden Globe Awards – Press Room, Beverly Hills, January 11

celebutopia.net

Scholars study Springsteen during weekend event

AP – FILE - In this July 2, 2009 file photo, Bruce Springsteen performs during the first German concert of …

By KILEY ARMSTRONG, Associated Press Writer Kiley Armstrong, Associated Press Writer – Sat Sep 26, 8:18 pm ET
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Hold still, Bruce — this won't hurt a bit!
Scholars from around the world are dissecting the Springsteen legend this weekend in New Jersey.
"Glory Days: A Bruce Springsteen Symposium" continues through Sunday at Monmouth University. The no-holds-barred intellectual romp, coinciding with Springsteen's 60th birthday, was organized by Virginia Tech and Penn State Altoona.
And yes, the scholars do get the comedic irony of studying a man who "learned more from a three-minute record than he ever learned from school."
The festivities include several pilgrimages to the landmark Stone Pony nightclub, down the road in Asbury Park, N.J.
Educators spent Friday night singing, hollering and chanting a curse phrase at the impish urging of rock pioneer Gary U.S. Bonds, whose performance brought the house down. Springsteen resurrected Bonds' career in the '80s by writing his comeback hit, "This Little Girl."
Professors, many of them veterans of dozens of concerts — one boasted 150-plus — vied to get out their first-person tales from the concert "pit."
Fans of Run of the (Steel) Mill, Springsteen's former band, also entered the symposium fray.
Springsteen has "saved my life many times," said textbook publisher Patty Pappas of Toronto, who detoured to the symposium en route to next week's Meadowlands concerts. "If you're sad, happy, angry — if you want to scream, rant and rave — there's always a song that can express it."
Come the light of day, though, it's back to the books — make that the Power Point presentations.
"Fun?" said presenter Francesco Cassino of Rome, Italy, clearly startled by the question during his reverie on harmonic sequences. His expression grew otherworldly. "It's my life," he said Saturday, expressing the common theme of fans everywhere.
"His music can call us to a higher purpose," said Dr. James Kelly of Carlow University in Pittsburgh, calling Springsteen a vehicle for discussions on social causes, war, race, gender and class.
When the music that was to accompany Kelly's presentation didn't play, the audience told him to stop talking and fix it. From then on, Kelly — who referred to Springsteen as a "cool rockin' daddy" — jackhammered through his academic talk while competing with the music — blasts of "Sprung from cages on Highway 9!" and "Baby, this town rips the bones from your back!"
Discussion topics were dizzying. Springsteen and psychology; the movies; spirituality; American culture; history; the criminal justice system; the online community; family.
Bruce Geeks worship Springsteen as a storyteller and a poet. References abounded to the likes of writers Jack Kerouac and Flannery O'Connor; Springsteen has said O'Connor's work helped inspire the "Nebraska" album.
There were down-home moments, as well.
Fellow blue-collar rocker Joe Grushecky sheepishly admitted taking a sick day from his regular job as a special education teacher to collaborate with Springsteen. His peeved employer set out to track him down.

Grushecky's mother called her son to pass along his boss' message. Patti Scialfa, Springsteen's wife, took the call.
"Patti hands me the phone and says, `It's your mom,'" recalled Grushecky, who shushed Springsteen while calling back his other boss, and feigning illness.
When Grusheky's kids were little, they thought Springsteen was just "another of Daddy's buddies who played guitar. And lived in a bigger house."
The "Springsteen and Social Consciousness" panel stressed that the boss puts his money — and his energies — where his mouth is. Singer-activist Jen Chapin, daughter of the late Harry Chapin, said Springsteen has raised millions of dollars for grass root causes including hunger.
"I've dealt with a lot of celebrities," said Chapin, giving Springsteen an A-plus for his "integrity" and determination to "follow through on his promises."
The symposium, also held in 2005, is the brainchild of 52-show veteran Dr. Mark Bernhard, director of continuing and professional education at Virginia Tech. "Bruce and his music, through his lyrics as well as his performances and his social consciousness ... speak to the common man or woman," Bernhard said. "He resonates with many of us" — in all walks of life.
news.yahoo.com

I like his older stuff, aswell as the new material, I thought that "Radio Nowhere" was a really good song.

the opening part of the long intro is cut in the video above unfortunately
more whole intro here if anyone is interested

E Street Band's Clarence Clemons Dies at 69

Clarence Clemons, the legendary saxophonist in the E Street Band who played alongside Bruce Springsteen for the past 40 years, died on June 18th. Clemons had suffered a massive stroke on June 12th. While initial signs had been hopeful after his hospitalization and two subsequent brain surgeries, he reportedly took a turn for the worse later in the week. He was 69.

Clemons – known affectionately to fan and friends as the Big Man – was the heart and soul of the E Street Band. His playing on tracks like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Jungleland," "Dancing In The Dark" and countless more represent some of the most famous sax work in the history of rock & roll. "The story I have told throughout my work life I could not have told as well without Clarence," Springsteen wrote in the introduction to Clemons' 2009 memoir Big Man: Real Life and Tall Tales.

So much has been said and written about the stormy night in Asbury Park in 1971 when Clemons met Springsteen that it's hard to separate fact from myth. At the time, Springsteen was a struggling musician playing the New Jersey bar circuit and Clemons was a former college football player who spent his nights playing sax in clubs along the shore. "It was raining and thundering like a mother****er," Clemons wrote in his memoir. "When I opened the door it blew off the hinges and flew down the street . . . Somebody introduced me to Bruce, everybody knew everybody, and he asked me if I wanted to sit in."

Clemons soon became part of Springsteen's backing band (not yet known as the E Street Band), and when Bruce recorded his debut LP Greetings From Asbury Park in the summer of 1972, Clemons was brought in for the sessions. Over the next two decades, Clemons became the most recognizable member of the E Street Band – for his massive size, equally huge personality and his onstage role as Springsteen's foil.

He's the only member of the band on the cover of Born To Run with Springsteen. "When you open it up and see Clarence and me together, the album begins to work its magic," Springsteen wrote in Clemons' memoir. "Who are these guys? Where did they come from? What is the joke they are sharing? A friendship and a narrative steeped in the complicated history of America begins to work and there is music already in the air."

In the 1980s, Clemons began a second career as an actor, appearing in TV shows like Diff'rent Strokes and movies such as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. He also scored a solo hit in 1985 with "You're A Friend Of Mine," a duet with Jackson Browne. He was on tour with Ringo Starr's All Star Band in 1989 when Springsteen phoned him to say he was breaking up the band. "I didn't speak or even attempt to interject," Clemons wrote in his memoir. "I got very quiet and stopped smiling. In fact, it looked to Ringo like I was being told about somebody dying."

The E Street Band reformed in 1999 and has been incredibly active ever since. Clemons loved being back on the road, even as he battled incredible pain with his knees, back and hips. Earlier this year, he played sax on two tracks on Lady Gaga's new album Born This Way. He appears in the recently released video for "Edge of Glory," and his final live performance was with Gaga on the season finale of American Idol.

RollingStone

R.I.P. Clarence, a legend that will always be remembered.

this thread can't die!

Bruce by Annie Leibovitz

Rock+Stars+-+Annie+Leibovitz-19.jpg

devodotcom

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"