Fashion Merchandising

Thank you for sharing that alix*.

There always seems to be some confusion about the two different jobs that are related:

Fashion Merchandising is exactly what is in this job description. You can see that it's mostly about numbers, market trends, how to increase sales and move merchandise with the goal of increasing the profitability of the company.

Visual Merchandising/ Visual Display is the department that actually sets up the windows and store displays. Usually this department will report to the Fashion Merchandiser. You may see a thread on Visual Merchandising here.

The skills for each job is very different ... and one does not automatically lead to the other.

Fashion Merchandising - Info..

Hey everyone. I'm really interested in studying Fashion Merchandising after I graduate and I just need some info to be sure..

+ Good Schools - Anyone know some in Canada? I don't mind if the schools you give me aren't in Canada but I was just wondering. BTW, for those who go to FIDM, let me know what you think?

+ For those already in Fashion Merchandising, how do you like it? Is it an easy or is a hard area? How many years of school and what should I study now in high school?

+ If I do this, I'd really love to work for a magazine - anyone else wanting to be in this area?

Thanks everyone! ^_^

If you're interested in working at a fashion magazine then I know that Ryerson in Canada actually has a "Fashion Communication" major designed for fashion pr, marketing and fashion journalism. It's supposed to be really good so check into that!

If you're interested in working at a fashion magazine then I know that Ryerson in Canada actually has a "Fashion Communication" major designed for fashion pr, marketing and fashion journalism. It's supposed to be really good so check into that!

I forgot to say specifically what I was interested in when working for a magazine. I want to work as assistant fashion director and then work my way up but yeah. That's still marketing/merchandising, yes?

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Your new thread has been merged with the existing thread about Fashion Merchandising.

And no ... as you can see, Fashion Merchandising really does not have anything to do with working for a magazine ... see the previous posts.

We do have many threads about several careers in magazines, including a basic one about getting a job and then getting to the top in a fashion magazine.

Do an advanced seach of the C&E forum (tab is at upper right) before starting any new threads ... we probably already have a thread. In fact that is a requirement before any new thread is started ... we ask the members to do a search first, because 9 times out of 10, we already are discussing that issue.

We are sooo big and have thousands of threads, that when you do your advanced search you should set your prefererences for "Search Thread Titles" only and ask for results as threads. Then select the forum (Careers & Education in this case) and you will get managable results. If you search by posts ... you will get hundreds and hundreds of results ... way too many. Use a good keyword ... if you use the word "Fashion" you will get too many results, but if you use magazines or magazine ... or merchandising, editor, director, assistant, journalism ... you will get better results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Your new thread has been merged with the existing thread about Fashion Merchandising.

And no ... as you can see, Fashion Merchandising really does not have anything to do with working for a magazine ... see the previous posts.

We do have many threads about several careers in magazines, including a basic one about getting a job and then getting to the top in a fashion magazine.

Do an advanced seach of the C&E forum (tab is at upper right) before starting any new threads ... we probably already have a thread. In fact that is a requirement before any new thread is started ... we ask the members to do a search first, because 9 times out of 10, we already are discussing that issue.

We are sooo big and have thousands of threads, that when you do your advanced search you should set your prefererences for "Search Thread Titles" only and ask for results as threads. Then select the forum (Careers & Education in this case) and you will get managable results. If you search by posts ... you will get hundreds and hundreds of results ... way too many. Use a good keyword ... if you use the word "Fashion" you will get too many results, but if you use magazines or magazine ... or merchandising, editor, director, assistant, journalism ... you will get better results.

Maybe I've should have made it more clearer.. I'm interested in becoming an assistant fashion director and then go from there. At.. http://www.fashion-schools.org/fashion-coordinator.htm it saids I need a 4 year degree in either fashion MERCHANDISING or fashion DESIGN. I wasn't particularly saying I wanted to be a "fashion merchandiser."

Ah ... the title of your thread was Fashion Merchandising ... and you you then said you'd like to work as an assistant to a fashion director at a magazine. The comment on that site is misleading you, if your goal is to work for a magazine, IMO.

The term "fashion director" is one of those names that can mean many things ... but usually that is not a what they call someone who works for a fashion magazine. Usually the call the person working for a magazine a "fashion editor" and they do not do the same thing that a fashion merchandiser (fashion director or fashion coordinator of a store/design house) does at all. The work they do is really quite different and therefore the requirements are different too.

So my point is ... I believe that you need different education and experience if your goal is to work for a magazine. Fashion Merchandising as a course will not teach you the right skills for magazine work. And I don't believe that most fashion editors have Merchandising degrees (or Fashion Design degrees, either). So I suggest that you look into our many threads about working for a magazine and you will learn that Fashion Merchandising courses is probably not the best way to go, if that is your goal.

Let me do some of the work for you. This thread is about how to get into working form a fashion magazine and to start your climb to the top.

And this one is about magazine editors and stylists ... the difference between them.

This post is part of this thread about Fashion Jounalism and explains a little bit about how to break into magazines.

Hope this helps.

Internship in fashion merchandising in London

Hello everyone :blush: I am currently looking for an internship in fashion merchandising in London, will consider even unpaid one.

I have previously worked in accounts for some fashion companies, this is where I realized where my passion lies:woot:. Recently did Graduate certificate in Fashion Management in LCF. I've registered with a few agencies, but they all are saying that having some work experience in merchandising would definitely help getting an entry job…Please HELP!!. Many thanks B)

Congrats as an assistant admin merchandiser. This will help you know if this field is right for you. You have got to do the math.

In order for you to successfully master fashion merchandising I suggest you take fashion merchandising at a local community college. Fashion math combines algebraic equations, geometry, trigonometry even some calculus & statistics. Most merchandising sales reports are formulated using Microsoft Excel functions. There is really no way to get around it. If you live close to Los Angeles I recommend the top ranked school for fashion Los Angeles Trade Technical College www.lattc.edu

All the best,
PS I excelled in Fashion Design, Marketing & Merchandising...with dedication & hard work. Fashion is my destined passion and I am an award winning honor student.

i want to major in
fashion merchandising
but being a model agent is a
dream..what major do i have to do for that

No major ... it's one of those jobs you can get if you are connected. There is a thread about becoming a booker/model agent ... you will find information about that in there.

There's so many branches and options in careers that come with fashion marketing & merchandising...
I am really into business probably a little bit more than fashion and I am highly skilled at clerical work, computers, organization, and communication... I also love planning schedules and what not...
So my question here is, how do I find out which career or section of this major would be best for myself specifically? Is there any kind of fashion marketing & merchandising career aptitude testing online where I can discover my strong points or an informative site listing out all the careers in which this major constitutes?
There's so much research for me to do...

Hah, I should have looked through the thread a bit more...
I just took the FIDM test... it's brief but informative. :flower:

Hi everyone, i was wondering if maybe you guys could help me finding a college :smile:
currently i am attending Miami International University of Art and Design and i am majoring in fashion merchandising. I am still in my first year about to begin my third quarter. my problem is that i don't want to stay in Miami but i just don't know where to transfer.
Parsons is out of the picture since it only offers an associates in my major.
Have any of you attended or currently attend FIT? or do you know of any other colleges? i would really appreciated your help :smile:

I have even considered going to europe. I just don't think my school is taken seriously. to be honest, i don't even take it seriously haha.

Laboratory Institute of Merchandising
is suppose to be a really good school i applied there

Laboratory Institute of Merchandising
is suppose to be a really good school i applied there

Is it really? Do you know if its well known in the fashion industry? I'm interested in their ACCESS year but i haven't heard much about it...

After reading the entire thread I'm beginning to think of becoming a fashion merchandiser. I have some experience doing some production in one company so this is interesting. I'm still new in the industry and I'm considering this as one of my first steps in fashion.

I'm just bumping this up because i applied for a MAA job on a complete whim and got an interview. I honestly had never even heard of the job until i read the description. If anyone has any other info about fahion merchandising in the UK. It would be so helpful. From what i have gathered, its all numbers. But what kind of maths is involved? I am afraid i'm not fashion savvy enough lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->